Why become a member? ×

Squier bass vi question

still-young

[quote name='still-young' timestamp='1386709987' post='2303558']
Ill most likely play with a pick so kinda in the middle/towards the neck
[/quote]
... in the middle towards the neck I think your wrist is possibly going to be sitting on the vol/tone controls or worse on the four switches.

You need to go in a shop that has one and see how it feels when you flip it.

Thanks for writing in!
Marketing and R&D are very tight lipped about any future releases. That being said, it's a possibility that there will be a lefty version of the Bass VI, but I don't have anything outright saying we'll see one soon. Either way, I'll let the appropriate parties know that there's definitely a demand for such an item!
Other than that, I've never heard of a conversion to a lefty on that model. I would imagine it would be a matter of getting a new nut filed as well as swapping the bridge for a left-handed. There may be an experienced Authorized Fender Technician in your area that can accommodate such a swap. If you throw me your serial number I'll find the highest rated tech around you!

My reply from fender

Edited by still-young

[quote name='still-young' timestamp='1386698918' post='2303266']
Okay I have thought about it and I really want the squier one, I know it's shallow but it's the nicest looking, the cheapest, and closest to an actual bass vi, if I got one would I have to flip the nut to string it leftie?
[/quote]
I've found that the best resource for all things Bass VI is the 'Bass VI Players' Facebook page. I'm sure that someone on there could answer that question and you may find that someone has done it already.

Edited by BetaFunk

Doesn't Stefan from Placebo use his bass vi for lead lines and play the bass lines with foot pedals?

I ordered my bass vi at the weekend and have no money anyway, just paid a £23 deposit and will sort the £250 balance when it comes in, it won't be until the end of Feb at the earliest, now I must sell some others :D

[quote name='still-young' timestamp='1387368968' post='2311112']

Where abouts did you order it from? That's a tempting idea.
[/quote]

I ordered mine when I was in GAK in Brighton at the weekend, I found them really helpful, just give them a ring and they'll sort you out.
The deposit isn't refundable but is transferable until the bass comes in, so if you do change your mind or find a second hand one then you could just use your deposit for a strap or a couple of cables or something.
The white and sunburst ones will be end of Feb at the earliest but I'm sure he said the black ones could be available earlier as they're not as popular.

[quote name='still-young' timestamp='1387487554' post='2312687']
The red fender one is beautiful, I have a bit of a thing for matching headstocks... But I feel the squier is better value for money. If i can find a fender somewhere though I can see how it feels upside down.

And I really like the tort guard...
[/quote]
There's no doubt that the Squier is an absolute bargain but there are reasons that the Pawn Shop is more expensive.

Yeah I'm sure there are :) however, I am an 18 year old student who works 11 hours a week haha. Also I prefer the squiers pickups and pickup selector and also the neck even though that's superficial...

However if I got enough money for Christmas for the fender things may become mor difficult...

If they made the squier version as a fender one I'd definitely save for it.

[quote name='still-young' timestamp='1387495930' post='2312788']
Yeah I'm sure there are :) however, I am an 18 year old student who works 11 hours a week haha. Also I prefer the squiers pickups and pickup selector and also the neck even though that's superficial...

However if I got enough money for Christmas for the fender things may become mor difficult...

If they made the squier version as a fender one I'd definitely save for it.
[/quote]
I have a PSVI but if the Squier VI had been out when i bought it i would have bought the Squier VI and i'm sure i'd be more than happy with it. They are an absolute steal for the money.

Having played with the fender now, I think I would probably prefer the 5 way strat type switch over the individuals. The individuals give you a lot of variations, but its more of a pain to change, and it is not like you wouldn't eventually have just a couple of favourites.

For me, it is probably never a guitar I would use all the time, not quite a guitar, not quite a bass. I found it a bit harder playing as a bass with fingers due to the narrowness of the string gap, but was surprised at just how bass it sounded. So I wouldn't really have an option of buying the fender as it is way out of the money I would pay for that sort of instrument, but the squier is really in the 'why not' price range.

As I said, I hate the tort, but I have seen a nice white pearl pickguard that would work for it, and if I found the switching a pain after a while, it is a pretty easy job to stick a strat switch in there.
Dont' know what the trem is like, the fender I played didn't have the trem bar fitted, but as I never use them on the guitar, can't imagine me using one on a bass.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1387498856' post='2312816']
For me, it is probably never a guitar I would use all the time, not quite a guitar, not quite a bass. I found it a bit harder playing as a bass with fingers due to the narrowness of the string gap, but was surprised at just how bass it sounded. So I wouldn't really have an option of buying the fender as it is way out of the money I would pay for that sort of instrument, but the squier is really in the 'why not' price range.
the trem is like, the fender I played didn't have the trem bar fitted, but as I never use them on the guitar, can't imagine me using one on a bass.
[/quote]
This bloke doesn't seem to have a problem using his fingers. Mind you it helps if your name is Roy Babbington who is still the finest Bass VI player i've ever seen.

My opinion is just get one, do the nut, and just enjoy the heck out of it. The trem arm is a pretty minor issue, IMO, unless you're gonna be wangin' the bejesus out of it which probably isn't a happy thing on a Jaguar/Jazzmaster type vibrato.

Edited by Fab58

I took the plunge today too. Couldn't get the white one unless I was prepared to wait until the end of the month and I hate waiting, so I went for a black one and it is due on tuesday!
Now I need to get a black pickguard, not keen on the white on black, a bit too 80s for me.

Edited by Woodinblack