Why become a member? ×

Which bass is yours?

danfergie123

I currently own nine basses. I use all but two fequently, so it would be hard to pick just one. But, if my house catches on fire, I would grab my 5 string Carvin Bolt fretless on the way out the window or door.
I enjoy playing greatly. It growls, has a great presence on the track when recording. It is as attractive (antique violin burst with gold hardware and an unlined ebony fingerboard). There is nothing on the bass I would want to change. I really like the push-pull volume knob which changes it from active to passive tones.
The bass was ordered from Carvin a few days after the passing of my father. I named it Kenneth after him (I name them all, which may be strange to some of you, but it is a habit of mine). So, the two will always be linked together.

Currently I own 50 basses (a few weeks ago it was 60, maybe 1 or two more than that).

My favorite of them all is my "Uber Alles" Prima Dingwall (a one off, as most of the basses that I own). Being my first Dingwall it holds a special place in my herd (and heart). It's my standard that every bass gets compared with, once it joins the herd. It has also given me my nickname. The sound is full and stout, beyond belief as well as playability and ergonomics. It's the bass that has seen the most action out of all my herd (side to side comparison esp when in action is a joy).

This is a rhetorical question right? - ALL basses are owned by Chuck Norris. He allows you to play HIS basses. Also, everytime you play a song on your bass, the original manufacturer has to pay Chuck Norris 99cents.

Hamster

after 13 years and many, many basses (a couple of yamahas in the early days, 2 stingrays, warwick thumb,streamer stage 1 and 2,corvette FNA 4 and 5 string, bravewood jazz, modulus flea, 3 fender usa jazz and 1 precision hot rod, a geddy lee signiture and many more cheaper basses that ive forgotten about lol)

ive finally come to the conclusion that jazz basses are what i want! they just sound so right! i spent a lot of time (about 8 years playin warwicks) avoiding them for some unknown reason but when i finally gave in and got one it all started to make sense!

so now i have a sunburst USA S1 jazz! with the S1 replaced by a set of stack knobs

a frankenstein bravewood/geddy lee jazz again with stack knobs

and finally my new sadowsky metro UV70 (with VTC) in natural with maple neck (ooooh pearl block inlays!! i love em!!)

so i reckon if i had to i'd choose my Sadowsky!! flawless construction and probably the best bass ive ever owned!

:)

what on earth do i buy next???? lol

[quote name='Hamster' post='229080' date='Jun 29 2008, 04:24 PM']This is a rhetorical question right? - ALL basses are owned by Chuck Norris. He allows you to play HIS basses. Also, everytime you play a song on your bass, the original manufacturer has to pay Chuck Norris 99cents.

Hamster[/quote]
[url="http://www.boycottchucknorris.com/"]Chuck Norris is a f***ing idiot[/url], he can come to my next gig & I'll kick him in the nuts.
[color="#808080"][size=2]
sorry to go off topic[/size][/color] :)

It took me a fair few years before I ordered my Sei bass [url="http://www.seibass.com"]www.seibass.com[/url]

'Jezebel' (as my wife called it) sits pride of place in my rack. for a 7 string, the Sei is surprisingly light and that, combined with the neck profile, makes it a great bass to play. It sounds pretty good too.

The newest addition is the James Tyler bass I bought a couple of weeks ago. I've played a lot of 4 string basses, but the Tyler takes some beating. It's incredibly light (it could be made of Mamywo - waiting for Tyler to confirm this), but the neck shape is unbelivably comfortable. It has an 18v Demeter preamp with switchable mids which I'm still trying to decipher.

I'm looking forward to getting an ACG 9 string later this year. The facings of mahogany are going to be teamed with an acrylicised spalted maple 'board. It's going to be an amazing instrument both in looks and sound.

Same as in the long dark distant past, my Status S2-Classic. I never really take my KingBass out, so the S2 caters for most rock jobs. Just the best to play & such an amazing sound!

For jazz it's either my Triumph upright, one of my Double Basses, or my now indispensable Yamaha TRB-6.

The S2-Classic & TRB would be the two I'd keep should a cash-strapped situation arise!

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Modded Geddy Lee with Wizard 84's to give it more bollocks, a series / parallel switch to give it more bollocks and a D-tuner to give it more er, bollocks. Love it.

Would also love a Wal, a nice Precision, a Status S-2, a G&L Asat, a MM Sterling, a Rick 4001, a Spector and a 5-string and that's just this week. None of it is ever likely to happen though, so I mod the arse out of what of I've got to keep me ticking over. And of course, I love it.

Out of the 4 I own, I'd say that my Aria Pro II Elite II is the top dog. I love it, it's so comfortable and has a really nice growl to the sound. It's completely passive but when I got it first I thought it was active, the output is very high. Needless to say I was a bit confused when I opened the control cavity and realised that it wasn't active. :huh:

My new jazz is catching up on it but I'm still in that honeymoon period so we'll see! :)

[quote name='Super Bass' post='229677' date='Jun 30 2008, 01:23 PM']Out of the 4 I own, I'd say that my Aria Pro II Elite II is the top dog. I love it, it's so comfortable and has a really nice growl to the sound. It's completely passive but when I got it first I thought it was active, the output is very high. Needless to say I was a bit confused when I opened the control cavity and realised that it wasn't active. :huh:

My new jazz is catching up on it but I'm still in that honeymoon period so we'll see! :)[/quote]
I had an Elite I Cliff stylie for 20-odd years and although it was heavy and left my forearm red raw every time I played it, selling it was up there in the top 5 of stupid thing to do. Got nearly twice what I paid in 1986 mind :huh:

Do love me Jazz now though...

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='johnnylager' post='229722' date='Jun 30 2008, 02:12 PM']I had an Elite I Cliff stylie for 20-odd years and although it was heavy and left my forearm red raw every time I played it, selling it was up there in the top 5 of stupid thing to do. Got nearly twice what I paid in 1986 mind :huh:

Do love me Jazz now though...[/quote]

I've got me one similar to Cliff's also (in my avatar). It's an unofficial sig bass from the custom shop. Great bass, but the Elite II still whoops it's ass. :)

Edited by Super Bass

my taitycaster - it sounds great and is unique, the only one ever handbuilt by me! not to mention it cost £990 to build that (a lot of money for any teenage boy!!!), and the other two - one my dad paid for, one i paid for but its only a squier and im thinking of selling anyway.

I miss my old Hohner headless cricket bat thingy.It had a great eq,neck,sound,in fact everything was bloody fantastic.I pine for it.
My current beasties are my Status Groove which fits me like a glove,and my Yamaha BB414 which is huge on a shortarse like me but has a great sound and a brilliant neck.
I am under no illusions as to my fate if I ever sell the Groove;the guitar player in my band has threatened to kill me if it goes.

The Wal Pro2e in my avatar is the '4 string' for me and my Roscoe Beck V is the '5 string' for me...

How long that state of affairs may continue is uncertain, especially being a member of Basschat with it's very active 'For Sale' sections :huh:

But, I'm pretty happy at the moment which is great! :)

For a little while now I've been worshipping at the altar of Spector. Much searching has led me here. A Status Graphite Stealth 6 string and a 1989 Kubicki Ex-Factor have fallen by the wayside as I journeyed on looking for "the one".

In February this year, while I was spending a week in Preston, I discovered a Spector Rebop DLX 4 string in Sound Control (probably not a good thing that my girlfriend's uni flat is a minute's walk from the shop, though it's now closed!). I knew I had to have it, after having an hour playing it in store. I went back the next day and bought it and lugged it home on the train (what a carry on). I fretted as I sat in York trainstation in the cold at night waiting for the Newcastle train. I have named this bass "PB-1", a tribute to Stuart Hamm's bass "OB1" (Orange Bass One). It stands for "Preston Bass One".

It feels great (6 strings just wern't for me, maybe some other time!), and sounds amazing. Such a full, rich growl that never fails to be heard. Such harmonic presence. And it looks amazing and is nice and light. Now, things pad out other areas of my collection, I have a couple of nice fretless jazz basses, but I know if I could only take one bass to a gig I'd take my Spector!

For the past 18 years it's been my Ibanez SR1000. Has a brilliant range of tones, a very nice neck & is easy to play. Can't say more than that.

I'm planning on getting a 5 or 6 string in about a year, perhaps a custom build or something.

[quote name='Hamster' post='229080' date='Jun 29 2008, 04:24 PM']This is a rhetorical question right? - ALL basses are owned by Chuck Norris. He allows you to play HIS basses. Also, everytime you play a song on your bass, the original manufacturer has to pay Chuck Norris 99cents.

Hamster[/quote]

They say that Chuck Norris is so tough that under his beard he has no chin, just another fist....

[quote name='gilmour' post='230824' date='Jul 1 2008, 07:44 PM']They say that Chuck Norris is so tough that under his beard he has no chin, just another fist....

[/quote]

Chuck Norris does not play bass. He stares at the strings until they shake in fear. :)

Back on topic, my main bass at the moment is my Fender Precision '74. It's not perfect. Needs a bit of a fret stoning on some of the upper frets, but is in good nick. Sounds fantastic! I have been toying with the idea with fitting it with an switchable active circuit. A previous owner made space for a battery before, so wouldn't be a big deal. When I used it with a heavier band to record, I found it lacked punch. But for now, it's not really needed. Haven't got any pics of it yet, but hopefull that will be recitfied soon.

I've always wanted a great Precision. After a year of searching, trying out all manner of basses, I returned to my first true desire. And for now, it looks like I'm sticking for sometime to come.

Edited by s_u_y_*

This is my new favourite...but i'm bidding on a 4001 c64s so who knows what the future holds :) I just love the sound of Rics and the neck is just right for me...pity the manufacturers are so up themselves :huh:

Can i play it? i'd say that in terms of talent i'm better than Vicous but not quite as good as Dee Dee :huh: