Why become a member? ×

Jazz basses that honk

bassjamm

Good morning guys and gals,

In a moment of madness, i spent a good hour or so trawling the internet last night looking at jazz basses, which has in turn struck me with GAS!

I ask you, in your experiences, which Jazz basses have that honky ballsy sound? You know the one, it ooozes funk and punches like a little scraper...plenty of mid-range poke?

Now i'm not meaning expensive here, as in Sei's and Lull's etc, i'm on about good old Fenders and the likes.

For instance, does the Geddy have some bite, or the Marcus? How about some of the Jap models?

Do your duty boys and girls, and provide us all with some tasty jazz funk honk 'Phwoahhhhhh'ness :)

Agent Jam of much Jazz bass GAS, over and out.

J

Picked up a mid 70s Jazz on the bay a good few years ago (early '76 pre logo change) and following a good set-up it honks like crazy - I really don't dig in at all, but it's not necessary on this! I have a Sei jazz too - the Barts were swapped-out for Wizards and it has tons of honk (moreso in active mode) but of a modern variety (if that makes any sense...more drive and hifi but lacking something of the classic thin honk of the Fender)

I've got a Jap Jazz, 62 RI, and I swaped the stock pickups, which sounded great, for EMG JV's (exposed poles) and this was even better.
I get that raspy type breakup in the low mids and the speakers get a good work out.

I've just tried the standard EMG Jazz bass set, they have a curved magnet in them, to follow the radius of the neck, and these are even better. There is a perfect, even string response that you don't get with most Jazz pickups because the E and G are closer to the pickup, so A and D are always lacking and in my experience, all of the notes on the A and D get lost in a band mix.

I've got the perfect Jazz, for me, as I can swap the EMG's over for a vintage vibe, or a barking, honking, dog-duck of a sound.
I have played a couple of American Jazz basses and they were great but my Jap Jazz, which I got from Tokyo, is so light and acoustically resonant, that when I first unwrapped it, I knew it was a special bass.

Bassjamm, I've PMed you.

[quote name='bassman2790' post='227876' date='Jun 27 2008, 11:00 AM']Squier VM Jazz has THAT sound. Both pick-ups on full, then roll the neck pick-up back a touch et voila![/quote]

It does have a bit of a honk, I'll admit, but it's a touch brighter than the classic, growling, honky jazz sound imo.

(Pardon the Spector).

However, this baby really honks and growls! It's a lot heavier than my Squier too, but I kind of like the extra weight! Probably the best £90 I've ever spent.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='227921' date='Jun 27 2008, 11:54 AM']It does have a bit of a honk, I'll admit, but it's a touch brighter than the classic, growling, honky jazz sound imo.

(Pardon the Spector).

However, this baby really honks and growls! It's a lot heavier than my Squier too, but I kind of like the extra weight! Probably the best £90 I've ever spent.

[/quote]

What's the white one?

Oh, and no need to apologise for the the Spector. Not to me, anyway.

[quote name='ahpook' post='227922' date='Jun 27 2008, 11:54 AM']what do you mean by 'honk' ?

any sound clips ?[/quote]

We have an un-knower of the 'honk' amongst us...run for your lives!!!

Sorry about that.

Erm, no clips, there's plenty of songs out there that feature this 'honk'. It's that classic mid bite that some jazzes have, the one that makes you screw up your face, flare your nose, a dig every note you play...ooo yeah...funk, funk funk it up!!!

[quote name='bassjamm' post='228251' date='Jun 27 2008, 07:41 PM']We have an un-knower of the 'honk' amongst us...run for your lives!!!

Sorry about that.

Erm, no clips, there's plenty of songs out there that feature this 'honk'. It's that classic mid bite that some jazzes have, the one that makes you screw up your face, flare your nose, a dig every note you play...ooo yeah...funk, funk funk it up!!![/quote]

gimmie a clue on the songs...i'm not being obtuse.

i just need to hear the quintessential honk

[quote name='ahpook' post='228298' date='Jun 27 2008, 09:19 PM']gimmie a clue on the songs...i'm not being obtuse.

i just need to hear the quintessential honk[/quote]

Sorry mate, it was just me being an idiot...nothing meant by it :)

Erm...that classic Jaco jazz honk, the sound that really pops out at you!!!

For your pleasure...about 30 seconds in when she finger funks the funk out of it:

[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=uE3Y380Nv8Y&feature=related"]Me'shell Ndegeocello[/url]

Not the best example, but getting there!

Ahh...just found this:

[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZY033jfPoNk&feature=related"]Me'shell with rude tone[/url]

That's what i'm getting at, that rude honky tone!!!

[quote name='bassjamm' post='228368' date='Jun 27 2008, 11:39 PM']Sorry mate, it was just me being an idiot...nothing meant by it :)

Erm...that classic Jaco jazz honk, the sound that really pops out at you!!!

For your pleasure...about 30 seconds in when she finger funks the funk out of it:

[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=uE3Y380Nv8Y&feature=related"]Me'shell Ndegeocello[/url]

Not the best example, but getting there!

Ahh...just found this:

[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZY033jfPoNk&feature=related"]Me'shell with rude tone[/url]

That's what i'm getting at, that rude honky tone!!![/quote]
That second clip has been a fav of mine for some time. I love her tone and the way she swings.
[jazz club]Wonderful[/jazz club]

Edited by rayfw

[quote name='ahpook' post='228298' date='Jun 27 2008, 09:19 PM']gimmie a clue on the songs...i'm not being obtuse.

i just need to hear the quintessential honk[/quote]

A classic example of a jazz bass honk is easily anything and almost everything by Jaco:

Or...

Edited by Josh

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='228079' date='Jun 27 2008, 03:00 PM']Lakland Darryl Jones with Aero pups - classic 70s jazz sound IMO[/quote]

I would have to agree :) I have that combo in both my DJ4 and DJ5, and a J-Retro in each too - Any Jazz sound I need is in both basses. They are simply wonderful.

[quote name='bassjamm' post='228507' date='Jun 28 2008, 11:52 AM']Beautiful stuff kind sir Josh!!!

Out of interest...does anyone know if the 60's re-issue basses have that classic honk, or would i really need to look at the 70's?

Thanks
Jam[/quote]

Your Welcome Sir Jam!

Well Jaco's jazz is a 60's, and I'd take a guess at saying that may be one of the reasons the 60's jazz was reissued, but hey someone will surely explain.

Not sure, to be honest Steve. Some people say it's a Fender, some an Aguilar. I'm betting Fender, as it's quite harsh if you whack both bass and treble full on. Used sensitively it's got a great sound, but I'm waiting to see how it sounds through the Sadowsky preamp/di pedal...

Marcus Miller's own 70's Jazz has the Sadowsky circuit built into it.