Why become a member? ×

SOLD GB Spitfire 5 String Fretless
£1300

supabock

[size=4]Hi All,
I've had this Spitfire for some time now, and whilst originally it was getting a lot of use, it's not been used very much at all in the last few months, so it's being offered for sale now.

Its pretty much a fantastic example of Bernie's exacting craftsmanship, not only in build, but also in sound. The combination of woods and pre-amp (Bernie's circuit) allow you to dial in a massive variety of tones.

It plays superbly and remains very stable, which in my opinion is a necessity for a fretless.

This was a custom build by the previous owner and has remained in the same condition all the time I have had it, which is as new.

As far as the combination of woods are concerned, the core of the body is mahogany, the neck is a nice example of birdseye maple and the fingerboard is a generous piece of ebony. As far as the facing wood is concerned, I'm not entirely sure what that is, but I am sure I can easily find out what it is if needed.

It comes with the GB hard case it was originally shipped in. [/size]

Edited by supabock

One of the finest GBs I've seen.. Very cool.

I actually quite like the gold surround to the bridge..

A lot of GBs flying around at the moment.. Don't think I can remember such a time that there were so many about.

I'd never sell mine.

Firstly because it's probably not worth a great deal and secondly because I love playing it

Rubbish at identifying woods but at a stab I'd go splated walnut

Wrong I am sure

GLWTS

Edited by ZenBasses

Hi there, it is walnut, I ordered this originally... subtle points like the decal is dark brown not black, the headstock is non standard proportionate size etc etc.. she's called 'The Angel' (name given by Bernie due to the Angel Wing figuring on the horns)... these facings were the last of the 'slices' take from the piece of wood originally use to make Laurie Cottle's custom Spitfire/Rumour hybrid. It's just a peach.
At this price it's an absolute bargain; you will not get more for your money if you want this calibre of instrument.

Best of luck with the sale; whoever buys this bass will know they've spent really well.