Why become a member? ×

Rockinbetter - heads up on small issues

BassTractor

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1385493049' post='2288969'] Never thought of any bass as an "investment" I can think of far better things to invest in. My basses are instruments that I saved up and bought because I liked them, gig money and months in without beer and nights out to buy each one. Nothing snobbish or protective, but something in life cost and if you want them you are far better going without for a while than wasting money on overpriced copies, especially ones that cost £500 and come out of the box like a carriage clock thrown from the Eiffel tower. [/quote] LOL, I rest my case.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1385472035' post='2288595']
The reality is these are poor copies, yet they sell for a vastly inflated price over other copies as they are a copy of a sought after instrument (debatable)
I have seen them at circa £500, if they were not a copy, they would be £150 instuments, they certainly have the build quality.
Just My opinion, but I would rather have a nice genuine fender badged precision at that money than a poor copy of a Rick,
Your still the bloke with the copy on stage and that is not worth £500 of anyones cash.
As for the price of Ricks, well they are a bespoke minor scale manufactuer of a quirky instrument and the market is purely supply and demand.
same with anything, I own far more other basses than Ricks including 5 Fenders, but I have never been a copy happy owner.
Bit like having a fake porsche .
At the price they shift these copies for they should at least take time to make sure they play out of the box.

The argument on Budget line, why should they, they have a 30 month waiting list, they are in proffit and they enjoy what they do.
[/quote]
I have owned one Rickenbacker 4001 one 4003 and an early Ibanez lawsuit Ric copy back in the 80's. Don't know what all the fuss is about re genuine Rics. They are not the be all and end all....
The Ibanez was just as good as the Rics and the build quality of the particular Ibanez I owned was superb. If it had been fitted with a Ric TRC I doubt anyone would have noticed any difference. I don't now own or will ever own again a Rickenbacker bass as I think a certain CEO (We all know who I mean) Is totally over the top dictating who can and can't advertise any bass that remotely looks like the ones that he manufactures. Rant over

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1385493049' post='2288969']
Never thought of any bass as an "investment" I can think of far better things to invest in.
My basses are instruments that I saved up and bought because I liked them, gig money and months in without beer and nights out to buy each one.
Nothing snobbish or protective, but something in life cost and if you want them you are far better going without for a while than wasting money on overpriced copies, especially ones that cost £500 and come out of the box like a carriage clock thrown from the Eiffel tower.
[/quote]

Congratulations in your dedication to acheiving your dream...

However, some people can't stretch to saving anything towards purchasing a real Ric, be it new of second hand because of their economic position. There's a news report out that nearly nine million people living in the UK have serious debt problems, there are plenty of others working for minimum (or even minimal) wages and simply can't afford to save anything as they have, like the rest of us, bills to pay, food to buy & other living costs to consider before anyone can even consider buying such a "luxury item". Let's face it, most of us are damned lucky to be in the position where we have the diposable income to purchase musical instruments in the first place, and some are luckier still to be able to afford their "dream" instruments. Sometimes, a "best alternative" fits the bill better than "the real thing".

As for [i]"overpriced copies, especially ones that cost £500 and come out of the box like a carriage clock thrown from the Eiffel tower."[/i], then that is your opinion, but you should remove your blinkers and open your mind to the fact that these are actually decent instruments in their own right. You mentioned cars in an earlier post, yes, you could drive an Audi A3, but at the end of the day, the fact that it's an Audi still doesn't hide the fact that it shares a large number of components with the VW Golf, the Seat Leon AND the Skoda Octavia.

Edited by Skybone

Sorry, I was probably a bit rude - it just can be frustrating fending off assumptions that these [i]must[/i] be poor copies, because of their origin; I think they're extremely practical basses, giving you a decent stab at the looks and some fine playing and sounds in their own right. Ok, so you might still prefer the original - but it's horses for courses. The offer stands - not least as I have another arriving - if you're nearby you're welcome to try one :)

I had a go on a Rockinbetter bass today, for the first time. I have never played a real Rickenbacker, my comparison is my Cimar bass which is a copy. I only played the Rockinbetter unplugged, as I much prefer to test basses like this for the first time I play them.

I liked the Rockinbetter bass, but I think my Cimar feels better. (But, it is old and has some quirks). I like the idea of a Ric copy as I couldn't justify Ric prices, but my experience of my Cimar suggests that this is the bass for me. (If not the Ric copy, then I think I'd be a Jazz bass kinda guy). I'm really not wanted to get into an argument, but I found this thread when I was thinking of posting a thread on the Rockinbetter. Personally I don't think it felt like a £599 bass to me. I'm no connoisseur of basses, so take this with a pinch of salt, but I thought that it was at about the same level as Mexican Fenders and Classic Vibe basses I've played. A nice bass, but it didn't quite have that 'just feels perfect' feeling I've had from what I view as expensive basses. It looked very nice close up though.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1385834124' post='2292703']
Sorry, I was probably a bit rude - it just can be frustrating fending off assumptions that these [i]must[/i] be poor copies, because of their origin;
[/quote]

It can be frustrating fending off assumptions about real Rickenbackers, because of their origin. So at least Rockinbetter got that bit right!

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1385898505' post='2293249']
It can be frustrating fending off assumptions about real Rickenbackers, because of their origin. So at least Rockinbetter got that bit right!
[/quote]

You know my opinion, Simon. Fine basses; poor leadership :)

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1385902092' post='2293312']
You know my opinion, Simon. Fine basses; poor leadership :)
[/quote]

Indeed.

My post was really alluding to the ironic twist this thread has taken. Given the polarised (and at times somewhat hostile) opinions expressed about real Rics, I had to smile at seeing a Rockinbetter thread heading the same way :lol: