Why become a member? ×

I'm srsly stuck...

karlbbb

I'm after a new bass. Just a cheapy, I need a 5 string (off to Uni, greater flexibility etc), but I've been looking at some 6's too and I really want one. I'm gonna go for one off the Rondo Music so I'll be importing. But I really can't decide between 5 and 6. I'm not sure I'd get much use out of the high C, but then perhaps getting a 6 would inspire me to look into other genres of music that would incorporate it?

Argh, someone help!

Get a cheap 6 and give it a try. I had to get a 6 to realise 5 was enough for me. I had made the transition to 5 easily and figured (not un-reasonably) I could make the same jump to a 6. Stuck with it for a while but eventually went back to 5.

Im not allowed to play onstage with anything less than 6 now,Low Bs are invaluable,and the high C...wellllll...you can take it or leave it,But I use it alot,positionally speaking,its better than running up and down the neck ALL night,and I find my fretting hands less knackard after 3hrs onstage.Chords sound better.

Thing is cost (its an extra string,more cash,you are in education,and times are tight)
Its bigger (Can your hands cope)
scale (I use a 35" scale,and trust me after years of Fender P usage it feels right weird)

6 IS WAAAYYYY hard,compared to 4,its hard compared to 5.......More strings greater range,more versitility,visually its impressive,but you will find utter dicks that think

"Oh man,he plays a 6 so he must over play"

or

"He must be a brilliant player,He's got a 6"

Both scenerios are opposite ends of the coin,sadly people still use their eyes rather than they're ears to judge a persons instrument choice....

So where do I think you should go?

For safetys sake 5,YOU WILL NEED A LOW B,in modern music,rock,indie,whatever its become essential,it also rattles windows,and hits you in the gut.

Best thing about 6 is you can play classical pieces,cello,Piano etc...even classical guitar parts,and offer a greater bandwidth of support to your band,or other musicians,having another plus octave in your arsenal is always a good thing.....

AHHH SCREW IT GET A 6 AND TELL THE WORLD TO BLOW!!!

How much cash you got?

Edited by ARGH

If you want a cheapy, I can recommend Shines. I had one of their 5s for years and it was excellent, and at the London Music Show a couple of weeks ago I tried a 6 on their stand and it was fab. Something like £160 it was. [b]Ridiculously[/b] good value for money.

Looking at spending £200 at the most. I agree with needing at least 5 strings though. I've had 5s in the past, but as time's gone on I've left myself with a single 4 string bass. I was just looking at 6s just to maybe expand my creativity a bit.

I'm looking at two basses right now, this 6 string:

or this 5:

Both coming from the US, 6 string is cheaper at $110, 5 string at $160, so both will come in at less than £200 after all the VAT, import duty etc.

I could possibly stretch to this 6:

Coming in at $289, so probably about £250-260 after all the costs. This one is 35" scale too. The first two are only 34". I'd definitely like to give 35" a try.

Edited by karlbbb

[quote name='ARGH' post='227079' date='Jun 26 2008, 07:55 AM']Im not allowed to play onstage with anything less than 6 now,Low Bs are invaluable,and the high C...wellllll...you can take it or leave it,But I use it alot,positionally speaking,its better than running up and down the neck ALL night,and I find my fretting hands less knackard after 3hrs onstage.Chords sound better.

Thing is cost (its an extra string,more cash,you are in education,and times are tight)
Its bigger (Can your hands cope)
scale (I use a 35" scale,and trust me after years of Fender P usage it feels right weird)

6 IS WAAAYYYY hard,compared to 4,its hard compared to 5.......More strings greater range,more versitility,visually its impressive,but you will find utter dicks that think

"Oh man,he plays a 6 so he must over play"

or

"He must be a brilliant player,He's got a 6"

Both scenerios are opposite ends of the coin,sadly people still use their eyes rather than they're ears to judge a persons instrument choice....

So where do I think you should go?

For safetys sake 5,YOU WILL NEED A LOW B,in modern music,rock,indie,whatever its become essential,it also rattles windows,and hits you in the gut.

Best thing about 6 is you can play classical pieces,cello,Piano etc...even classical guitar parts,and offer a greater bandwidth of support to your band,or other musicians,having another plus octave in your arsenal is always a good thing.....

AHHH SCREW IT GET A 6 AND TELL THE WORLD TO BLOW!!!

How much cash you got?[/quote]

+1!

Edited by phil_the_bassist

I'm going to uni in september and I'm actually doing the opposite!!! I'm leaving the 6er at home and taking a 4! Are you thinking of getting an extended range just for the sake of it? Would you really need that extra 'flexibility'?

Hope it goes well anyways!!! Great selection already shown +1 for the Peavey

Well I'll be keeping my 4. It's not just extended range for the sake of it, I just know I'm going to be studying a range of genres, so me having a flexibility in one bass is a must have, hence me wanting at least 5 strings. I'm sorely tempted by the green 6 up there, or wait another month or two and save for the Grind on sale (providing it's still on sale, or for a bit of extra scope as to what i can afford to buy)

I played 5ers for years then decided to try a 6.

I enjoyed it and ended up going through 3 really good ones.

In the end I went back to a 4 string because a 5 or 6 string is NOT essential for the music that I play. :brow:

I now only play 4s or 12vers and have no interest in 5ers or 6ers.

If you can afford it, go for the 6. even if it doesn't work out, at least you tried. If it does then you could save up to buy a higher end one in the future.