Why become a member? ×

Ampeg vs Barefaced

Dropzone

Hi Gang

I have just purchased and Ampeg PF 500 and a Barefaced Super 12 to also run with a Mk 1 Barefaced Compact.

At the back of the amp there is a speakon and jack output. With both cabs having speakon outputs. Does it matter which I run to which or is it all gravy?

Many thanks

Mike

Does the PF500 run down to less than 4 ohms?
The S12 is a 4ohm cab and the compact is 8 ohm - using both together will give a load lower than 4ohms so you need an amp that will run down to 2 ohms - I didn't know the PF500 could do this.

4x8 / 4+8 = 32/12 = 2.666666666 ohm

Edit for clarity as to what this means: running both cabs together from your PF500 is likely to blow up your amp

Edited by Twigman

Another angle - do you really need to run an S12 and a Compact together? I'd guess the PF500/S12 pairing is pretty good on it's own. I know from experience how good the PF500 sounds with a Compact.

Also, Barefaced recommend against running dissimilar cabs like this in series (according to their website). You'd have to ask them why.

Cheers

Geoff

+1

Either cab will sound great.

I'm not sure what benefit you'll get by running both together, other than loosening all your fillings.

PS Barefaced used picture a Compact and Super12 in a stack on their website.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1384871289' post='2281656']
Can happen to anyone... I set fire to my parents snooker table once after hooking up the wrong cabs to a power amp when i was 13 :blink:
[/quote]

Yes, I had a 4-ohm snooker table and this happened to me too.

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1384873268' post='2281693']
I think I recall (although this may be wishful thinking) that Alex said they could be run in parallel due to something to do with impedence but I may well be making that up???
[/quote]Only with amps that run down to 2 ohms

http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=super-twelve

---quote---
If your amp doesn't run below 4 ohms then the only way to expand a Super Twelve rig is to add a second Super Twelve and wire the two cabs in series with a special cable. However you must NOT series wire dissimilar cabs such as a Midget or Compact or indeed any other manufacturer's cabs.
---x---

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1384875956' post='2281739']
The bus? Ah...I always drive, but I've often wondered how MrsB gets my gear to gigs :)
[/quote]

Ah no car for me sadly, not much point in London. Bus/tube for small gigs... Just bought an enormous rig though so not quite sure how thats going to pan out... taxi maybe... perhaps I'll buy a sack barrow and walk.

I have noticed that the resident experts on here are quick to tell everyone not to use mismatched cabs even though a 1x15 and 2x10 was a very popular rig for a long time yet the most popular mismatched rig I see now is normally some kind of Barefaced mountain of various cabs piled up with some on their side etc?

Well Pete, the 'mis-matched' 2x10 / 1x15 setup was indeed popular for a long time. As was the Laney Linebacker... :ph34r:

Thing is, some of these were designed to work together. My rig with similar speakers was bi-amped with a crossover for example, and it worked brilliantly. but that does not mean that any old 2x10 and any old 1x15 will work well together, especially with just the one amp.

SOME of the Barefaced modular series were designed to be used together or apart. The Super12 and Compact were part of this range, along with the Midget I believe... Having said that, I personally see no need for these sort of stacks unless you're playing in a stadium without PA support!

To the OP. The Super12 will easily handle twice the power your Ampeg can muster. You can get the full 500 watts out of it just by using the Super12 on it's own. You'll get 60-70% of that with the compact on its own (8 ohms). If you use them together in series you will still get about 70% power. That's with all the knobs at 11 mind...

So just use the Super12, turn it up so you can't hear every person in a 30 mile radius telling you to turn that f****g thing down!!

Having run just the S12 at low volume last night the low A was farting a bit, was hoping that the addition of the compact would assist with this. I have been using a compact and MB Jeff Berlin for earth shattering volume but did not have the ampeg tone I wanted. I have also run 1 x 15 and 2 x 10 Hartke cabs through a HA2000 and they sounded really good and the amp never blew up.

The footprint of the S12 is about half that of the Mk1 Compact. Looks brilliant together, If only I could work out how to add pictures.

Cheers

Mike