Why become a member? ×

Compliment on a no name bass

badboy1984

Did a gig last on saturday using my P/J bass with no name on the headstock and I'm getting compliment on the good tone of the bass. They came up and asked me "what bass is this?" I said is a part build bass that I put together lol.

The bass is consist the following: std MIM fender precision body with std bridge, Seymour Duncan SP3 split coil pickup on the p position and a Seymour Duncan SJ3 single coil on the bridge position, control unit is all passive and wired with vol/vol/tone. The neck on the bass is glossy maple jazz neck.

I love how the bass feel and sound.

The problem with that bass is the hum you get, but I can only hear the hum when playing through headphone so I'm not too fuss. Also the output balance of the pickup is pretty hard to adjust because the P split coil is more powerful then the jazz pickup, but then again i don't solo the jazz pickup, the jazz pickup is their to add abit of clarity of the tone to the P pickup. So overall I like the tone very much, nice deep low with clarity on the highs.

If you're having output balancing issues, you could change to a vol/blend/tone config. Personally, that's how I'd run it. That way you can bias towards which pick up you want more from or find that sweet spot that matches the 2.

As for the buzzing, sounds like a grounding issue. Check all your ground wires are connected up properly or it could be down to the jazz pick up. Being a single coil, it will buzz quite a lot which is why I'd prefer to use the STK-J2b pick up in a P/J bass as it's hum-cancelling.

Again, those are just my personal preferences :) Sounds like a gorgeous bass though. You should post a picture up

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1385075928' post='2284332']
A lot of people who think they know about instruments often hear with their eyes. I've had a lot of compliments about a 90's MIJ Squier P that I own that I've taken abroad with me to gig for fear of taking one of my more expensive instruments, even though I value its sound just the same.
[/quote] it's quite odd the questions about your instrument you'll get asked after playing.
In response to the OP - the fender bass is a relatively simple design. Sound wise as long as you've half decent pups and bolt it together competently there's not much more mojo added by having it bolted together by some fender employees