Why become a member? ×

looking for a little protection

0175westwood29

so im really happy with how my rig sounds atm sits nicely in the mix with my band.

i use an always on overdrive (mesa flux drive) to push the terror into nice gritty drive, but thing is im extending my effects soon thanks to tom from cog effects, and im gonna be pushing some octave and fuzz through the amp aswell and have been looking at ways to protect my speakers in the obc 410. i know to watch the volume etc and listen for farts etc but with everything going on its gonna be a bit hard to hear if im over exerting a speaker.

im wondering if its worth me in vesting in something to go at the end of the chain to just control big low or high spikes and level out the volume.

from looking around im thinking that a sfx thumpinator at the end of my chain should stop the speaker over working and some sort of comp at the start to stop volume spikes coming from my playing i switch between fingers and pick and vary the attack alot.

i want to keep the dynamics in my playing so not looking for crazy comp, would i be better of putting that in the effects loops? just looking to see ppls views.

if theres and alternative to the sfx then please tell me also thinking of the xotic comp but suggestions welcome.

andy

Logic suggests to use a limiter last in the chain if you have other effects that could generate there own volume or low-frequency spikes.
Basically, stick your limiter after anything that could cause a volume or low-frequency spike, whether it be your bass playing or a filter effect or whatever.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1384842955' post='2281292']
Logic suggests to use a limiter last in the chain if you have other effects that could generate there own volume or low-frequency spikes.
Basically, stick your limiter after anything that could cause a volume or low-frequency spike, whether it be your bass playing or a filter effect or whatever.
[/quote]

that makes sense looks like it will be first into the lmb-3 and then into a thumpinator then onto the orange after a crap load of effects of course

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1384842955' post='2281292']
[/quote]

+1 - stick the limiter right in front of the amp if the main object is to protect the amp.

On the Thumpinator - you may not need it depending on the frequency response of the amp + cab combined with the limiter ???

• 1 month later...

just a little update, grabbed my self a behringer rack eq today, its has a built in high pass so nothing below 25hz will go into the amp, cost 51 quid from evilbay.

well worth a look if say you dnt have the money for a thumpinator.

also the boss limiter works really well am staying well away from the enhance knob tho, but levels all the spikes out plus will give a nice little boost after all my pedals once my nice shiney pedal from tom at cog effects comes next year!

andy