Why become a member? ×

Flatwound Advice

Kenny Gair

Hey Bass Dudes!!

Bought a fretless a few months back and replaced the pretty knackered strings with a set of roundwound Rotosounds (which I love on my fretted bass). However, can't say I am overly happy with the sound and feel of the rounds and really want to try a set of flats but don't want to waste £30 odd on a change that I don't like. So, any advice? I do like Rotosound strings and have see sets of 5's (yes it's a five stringer() on fleabay along with Elites, that I used to use reasonably happily in roundwounds. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

:gas:

I've put a 5 string set of Lakland flats on my Lull. They replaced DR Lo-Riders and the improvement in tone was measurable.

I briefly had a 4 string bass with a medium set of LaBella Black Nylon Tapewound flats. They sounded very good and had a nice feel to them.

To be honest, it's more the sound than the feel (yes I know much of that is in my fingers) that and a concern about what the rounds will do to the fingerboard in time. I'm not that hard on strings but still a little worried about making a bit of a mess. Does any of that make sense?

Yeh, I would really like to try them for a while. I play mostly blues/jazz and would like an alternative to the lively sound from my fretted bass. I use an EUB with flats and love the sound, would be nice to capture some of that on my fretless.

Thanks for the advice!

Hubrad...this kind of thing?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotosound-RS885LD-TRU-BASS-STRINGS-5S-65-135-/280646603445?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4157d752b5"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotosound-RS885LD-TRU-BASS-STRINGS-5S-65-135-/280646603445?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4157d752b5[/url]

The heavier gauge......, a bit of tweaking at the bridge I presume, nowt much else to consider?

Sorry to hijack here, but I'm going to put some flats on the Christmas list. Not had them before, do I need to order any specific length for through body stringing? I'll prob give Fender ago to see how I like them.
Thanks!
Edit: another noob question; Do they not do 45-110s? I need to do some more homework here...

Edited by M@23

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1384716550' post='2279917']
Sorry to hijack here, but I'm going to put some flats on the Christmas list. Not had them before, do I need to order any specific length for through body stringing? I'll prob give Fender ago to see how I like them.
Thanks!
Edit: another noob question; Do they not do 45-110s? I need to do some more homework here...
[/quote]
Many people do successfully string flats through bodies but it's not always recommended. There is a greater likelihood of breakage.

La Bella do some specifically through body flats.

I expect someone does 45-110s but I pay little attention to gauges, it's how the string is constructed that matters and two strings can be the very same gauge and yet nothing at all like each other.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1384716550' post='2279917']
Thanks!
[/quote]

IIRC there was a thread on through body stringing and suitable or otherwise brands. I have no through stringing basses(possible niche to justify GAS?) but some are 35" scale which need similarly longer strings. The Picato sets I've used have been fine for 35", but maybe others can comment on through body?