Why become a member? ×

Paul at Maida Vale?

squire5

Anybody watch this last night (BBC4)? I dont know how to put it but I think Pauls age is starting to affect his voice,but only in the lower register.While he still can scream like he used to,his lower register is decidedly below par IMHO.His bass work is still amazing although I noticed that he 'watched' his fingering hand an awful lot.Dont know if this is a subconscious thing,or if he's just being careful.He also didn't seem to have much rapport with his other 2 guitarists,nor they with him,if I'm honest,although Abe Laboriel got most of his attention.
Still, he's still my main man and played a blinder (Mr Kite,amazing bassline). Interesting too that immediately after this programme was a doc. on his 'Wings over America' tour,The sound and musicianship of which I actually preferred.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Really? You wouldn't spend an hour of your time in a small venue to see a musical legend? Yeah, go on then - voice gone, past his prime, Beatles were rubbish, blah blah.

However, I wasn't so much thinking about a Macca gig. By "this sort of show" I actually meant this sort of small venue for an artist of this sort of international standing - could be any of a hundred or more people really, it was more the type of venue I was referring to.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1384630020' post='2278983']
McCartney's voice is certainly not what it was. But is it 'awful'? I think not.

Two guys from one of my bands were in the audience and I wish I had been too. They won the tickets in a competition.
[/quote]
I really did think it was awful. It happens to the best though. Sinatra had to choose his material very carefully in his latter years but was fortunate in having more material to draw from compared with Macca.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1384630535' post='2278992']
I really did think it was awful. It happens to the best though. Sinatra had to choose his material very carefully in his latter years but was fortunate in having more material to draw from compared with Macca.
[/quote]
It does commonly happen. It happened to me. I couldn't sing and now I have got worse.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1384630974' post='2279000']
It does commonly happen. It happened to me. I couldn't sing and now I have got worse.
[/quote]
Me too. The neighbours used to ask me to turn my bass amp down but now they ask me to turn it up to drown out my singing.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1384630535' post='2278992']
Sinatra had to choose his material very carefully in his latter years but was fortunate in having more material to draw from compared with Macca.
[/quote]

Poor old Macca, fancy being limited to his own original and unparalleled body of globally renowned songs. ;)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1384636149' post='2279089']
Poor old Macca, fancy being limited to his own original and unparalleled body of globally renowned songs. ;)
[/quote]
I think you missed my point. Sinatra had hundreds of songs in his repertoire and as he got older he could pick and choose the ones that suited his voice. Unfortunately Macca is stuck with the songs he wrote of which many sadly don't suit his voice any more.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1384638116' post='2279118']
I think you missed my point. Sinatra had hundreds of songs in his repertoire and as he got older he could pick and choose the ones that suited his voice. Unfortunately Macca is stuck with the songs he wrote of which many sadly don't suit his voice any more.
[/quote]

I got the point, and it's a fair one, but it just highlights the difference in creative output between Sinatra (very little) and Macca (little short of astonishing). But Sinatra was just a crooner, so it's not really a fair comparison.

As an aside, all the 'Beatle haters' out there might be interested in this: ;)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03h6yrv

Yeah, a few. :lol:

[i][color=#000000]Guinness World Records d[/color]escribed McCartney as the "most successful composer and recording artist of all time", with 60 gold discs and sales of over 100 million albums and 100 million singles, and as the "most successful songwriter" in United Kingdom chart history[/i].