Why become a member? ×

Fender modern player - quick review

skydivepaul

My shiny new bass arrived today!

Fender modern player jazz in sunburst and I am well pleased.
After trying out quite a few different guitars I had settled on a jazz bass of some description and tried out a range of fenders ranging from £1600 - £240

The Modern player suited my budget although I would have gone for a MIM if it had been better than the modern player (which it wasnt!)

Plays great, was set up spot on out of the box. I checked action height, intonation and truss rod and all exactly as per Fender spec.
Sounds fantastic, the humbuckers work a treat and with the switch you can change to single coils for more growl! the tone pot works good and actually adjusts the tone quite a lot.

All in all a great chinese fender.

The only guitar in the shop to play a bit better was the USA deluxe which was out of my budget.
To be perfectly fair the squire VM I tried played exactly the same as the modern player it just didnt sound as good with duncan designed pickups. I was tempted to go for the squire and upgrade the pick ups but it would have cost me the same as the Modern player by the time I had done.

just my quick review if anyone is thinking about getting one of these bass's

cheers Paul

sorry about the crappy photo from my phone

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]These basses are fantastic! I tried one last year in a local music shop and it played beautifully. Only one thing put me off, firstly was the finish, it was a white with black s-plate but the entire body was covered in a thick plastic that felt more like a 'shell' than a paint or varnish. But as a bass it was really, really good, much better than the more expensive Fenders they had in store. [/font]

[quote name='dazza14' timestamp='1384341110' post='2275405']
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]These basses are fantastic! I tried one last year in a local music shop and it played beautifully. Only one thing put me off, firstly was the finish, it was a white with black s-plate but the entire body was covered in a thick plastic that felt more like a 'shell' than a paint or varnish. But as a bass it was really, really good, much better than the more expensive Fenders they had in store. [/font]
[/quote]

The finish on mine is satin 2 colour sunburst. Definitely painted as you can see the wood grain beneath the paint. Quite a nice finish although not sure how durable it will be compared to a lacquered finish.

Road worn look may be quicker than other models!

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1384300650' post='2275123']
Not thinking about getting one but still interested to read your review. Report back when you've gigged it!
[/quote]

Well first use in anger last night
3 hour rehearsal with all the band
The guitar performed beautifully, using an old line6 amp at the studio.
Set my eq on the amp something like, position 1 on the guitar (humbuckers) both pup volumes on full, tone about half way

3 hours straight playing no issues, great tone with a bit of growl when I played a bit more agressivley

Will probably change the strings at some point as they feel a bit harsh compared with other bass, or maybe just because I am playing this one a lot at the moment
So far would score the bass

Sound / tone quality. 9.5/10
Build quality. 10/10
Playability 9/10
Looks / finish 8.5/10
Value for money 10/10

Overall I would score this a 9.5/10
Bear in mind I am also scoring this in comparison with a few other basses I have tried and played recently
Including a £1500+ deluxe USA jazz bass

If they could make this bass with a maple neck, block inlays 3 colour burst lacquer finish that would be awesome............ Oh wait they already do but it is double the price ;)

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1384713002' post='2279838']
and I bet the rest of the band never even noticed you had a new bass ;)
[/quote]

To be fair they did notice I had a new bass......................but that may have had something to do with the fact I have been going on about it for a while!

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1384713002' post='2279838']
and I bet the rest of the band never even noticed you had a new bass ;)
[/quote]

I have set up a few different precisions for friends over the past year or so, I have always used them at band practice once (with there permission) before I gave them back.

There was a black one, white one, cream one, natural one, sonic blue one, three different sunbursts and also used my black and fiesta red ones AND none of the band except one member ever noticed anything different!

• 1 month later...

Hi just to echo some of the views here - I bought an older version of the Modern Player Jazz this weekend (the one with gloss finish and Classic Vibes-esque brass bridge saddles) and it seems to be really good.

Build quality, fit and finish seems very decent. The neck is very comfortable, with proper medium jumbo frets and modern radius (unlike the Classic Vibes, which put me off them to be honest).

It's a bit weighty, but the sound is good and really really loud compared with my 1995 USA P Bass, which itself is really loud anyway. Still tweaking the pickup height to get it at a point where im hearing some wood instead of just hearing the pickups.

It's obviously not as good as the USA, but for the price it seems like a really really good back up, which is very playable and with a good range of sounds, and I love the look of a vintage-styled jazz pimped with big pickups!

Due to gig it for first time next week as a spare to my regular USA Fender, but first impressions are very good indeed.

Agree totally with your review and I have the same one - sunburst with pick up selector and satin finish and I love it. I have been gigging and rehearsing with it for a few months now and its brilliant - it plays great, sounds great (in drop D as well) and it is comfortable. When I bought it I intended for it to be a back up but it is now my main gigging bass ahead of my Stingray, not because I think its better but just because I am so taken with it. All in all it is one of the best purchases I have ever made.

• 1 month later...

update for you on the satin finish. After 6 months it has started to show a shine where the right arm /hand sits on the bass.
it has just rubbed through some of the satin finish and now that part of the bass looks shiny.

Actually it looks great on the shiny bit.
I am thinking of maybe a light polish around the rest of the guitar to shine it all up.

Anyone done this before on a satin finish bass??

I have looked on a couple of guitar forums where people have used a light car polish / scratch remover to buff up the finish with good results