Why become a member? ×

Talk to me about Status necks

Twigman

I am curently gassing for another 'build'.....I am thinking a very lightweight P but this time with a Status neck. At the moment it is purely aesthetic - I have never played a Statud graphite neck.
Tell me about them.
What do they feel like?
What kind of profile do they have?
What kind of sound do they make?

Am I completely bonkers?

If you go for it get it fitted by a luthier unless you know what you're doing. Jonathan at Feline Guitars in Croydon did mine. An excellent job and much cheaper than what Status quoted.

As for the sound/feel - there are so many conflicting opinions on this. And it depends on what you want from your bass. If the opportunity arises to try one out for yourself this would be best. I have a fretted and fretless fitted to two different Stingrays. I really like them. The profile is more a D shape and the feel and quality of finish is sublime. They are both warm and mellow sounding necks - quite the opposite of what most say they should sound like!

I wouldn't fit one to my Precision though. I think it would take the P bass quality too far away from what I want from that particular bass.

I have a friend with a Status neck on a jazz
i think i'll ask to borrow that for a session or two first.
I am confident that I should be able to do it myself. I know I'll need to drill and countersink the neck fixing holes...<top gear> how hard can it be? </top gear> and mount the tuners
I have assembled 2 Warmoths before now, it can't be that much more difficult.

Edited by Twigman

They feel great, look great, are beautifully made, but I just didn't enjoy the sound of my P with one fitted. I switched back to a wood neck and the difference was quite pronounced. It had more sustain with the status neck and I think that was part of the problem. Part of the character of a sound is what happens when a note decays and I wasnt happy with the way the Status neck changed that.

My second one. Love it. Very clear, need to hit notes properly but the depth and width are IMO both between Jazz and P. Sound wise, you have a good amp with EQ? You get pretty much what you want.
[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/DSCF0375_zpsfb453879.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/DSCF0375_zpsfb453879.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/DSCF0374_zps4d98a8de.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/DSCF0374_zps4d98a8de.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I,ve got a status neck custom jazz bass ....... Feel wise the D shaped Status neck is very slick ,very fast and sounds great acoustically.

sound wise I'd agree with Karlfer , you can get pretty much any sound you want If youve got a decent amp , I get loads of sustain from my Bass but thats down to the very heavy bubinga/ebony body rather than the neck...... They're not to everyones taste so Id definatley advise trying before you buy. Fitting wise my guitar tech said it was the first graphite neck he'd worked with but said it was very easy to fit...

[quote name='alembic63' timestamp='1384292206' post='2275016']
I,ve got a status neck custom jazz bass ....... Feel wise the D shaped Status neck is very slick ,very fast and sounds great acoustically.

sound wise I'd agree with Karlfer , you can get pretty much any sound you want If youve got a decent amp , I get loads of sustain from my Bass but thats down to the very heavy bubinga/ebony body rather than the neck...... They're not to everyones taste so Id definatley advise trying before you buy. Fitting wise my guitar tech said it was the first graphite neck he'd worked with but said it was very easy to fit...
[/quote]

That is quite simply a jaw droppingly beautiful bass!!

feels slightly more squared also up nearer the nut and behind the zero fret the neck angles backwards so creates a rather unusual nub behind the nut, never bothered me too much to be honest but i could see how some people might find it uncomfortable - as you can see from pic the neck profile starts angling backwards halfway between first and zero fret - hopefully from the oblique view the reflection shows up the strange profile shape at that point - would strongly recommend trying one before you take the plunge (this is an old headed matrix)

hope this helps

Edited by steve-bbb