Why become a member? ×

Death of the pub, interesting read

skidder652003

[quote name='YouMa' timestamp='1384209795' post='2274151']
It is definately more expensive.
[/quote]
I don't think it is. When i started drinking it was one pound and ten pence a pint and everyone moaned and groaned that when it went up to two shillings they would all give up drinking. Needless to say none of them did. It's the same story with petrol.

there is a multi-fold problem in this debate.

pubco's take the piss out of their tenants in terms of beer prices (being forced to buy overpriced beers from their limited list).

successive govt's have increased duty on beer more sharply than that on wine and spirits (i wonder why ? ;-) )

supermarkets have been allowed to discount alcohol as a 'loss-leader' (i wonder why ? :-( )

jesus, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to draw any conclusions.

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1384213445' post='2274196']
there is a multi-fold problem in this debate.

pubco's take the piss out of their tenants in terms of beer prices (being forced to buy overpriced beers from their limited list).

successive govt's have increased duty on beer more sharply than that on wine and spirits (i wonder why ? ;-) )

supermarkets have been allowed to discount alcohol as a 'loss-leader' (i wonder why ? :-( )

jesus, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to draw any conclusions.
[/quote]
Oh well, that's that sorted then.

I find this sort of thing fascinating, people are spitting blood over the government bailing out the banking sector, but we should be supporting businesses which can't compete within their market at the expense of the the ones that are thriving? Why? Because "traditional" pubs are all nice and cuddly and "pubcos" are all evil and heartless? I find it very difficult to believe that a good, well managed "independent" pub can't compete at all with a chain. This sort of things strikes me more as excuses for simply not being able to run a business properly.

Edited by bobbass4k

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1384214697' post='2274214']
I find this sort of thing fascinating, people are spitting blood over the government bailing out the banking sector, but we should be supporting businesses which can't compete within their market at the expense of the the ones that are thriving? Why? Because "traditional" pubs are all nice and cuddly and "pubcos" are all evil and heartless? I find it very difficult to believe that a good, well managed "independent" pub can't compete at all with a chain. This sort of things strikes me more as excuses for simply not being able to run a business properly.
[/quote]

Independents can compete, part of the problem is that most of the "independents" aren't actually independent at all but owned by one of the pubcos. If you have to pay 50% over the odds for your booze it puts you at a huge disadvantage before you start. If every improvement you want to make has to be approved and done by your landlord (who is basically broke) then it makes it hard. You can do the improvements yourself (or buy a new cooker for example) but you stand to risk losing your money if the pubco sells out from under you or if they decide that as the premises has been improved then it's worth more rent and price you out (happened to the pub next door until the pubco went bust).

Steve

Edited by oggiesnr

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1384180285' post='2273592']
The homogenisation of Britain's pubs is a terrible shame in so many ways - the huge variety of pubs was one of the most individualistic and endearing thing about this country- but their conglomeration into chains of theme pubs is just another example of the inevitable and unstoppable march of Globalisation . In other words , wherever there is money to be made , big international businesses will be making it , rather than smaller organisations or private individuals. They have the financial muscle and therefore the political influence necessary to dominate , and they are using it systematically to wring every penny out of wherever they can , regardless of the wider consequences for society . Wouldn't it be surprising if it were any other way, though?
[/quote]

not just pubs though is it :(

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1384250055' post='2274360']
But it's all swings and roundabouts. Do people really think it would be a good thing to go back to the 1950s?
[/quote]
Oh i don't know, it wasn't that bad.

o.k. there was rationing but there was full employment, the Teddy Boys were entertaining and there was no Beatles. :)

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1384163703' post='2273292']
I've seen it happen to pubs we've played in. Pubco's put in terrible landlords over and over again after manufacturing a reason to kick out the previous landlady who had been running the pub successfully for many years. Pub is now looking like it could be closed any time now.
[/quote]
This.