Why become a member? ×

NBD Musicman SUB

rodma

Absolutely made up to have gotten hold of this beauty, spotted it just after it was listed on ebay and snaffled it. it's very dusty, but has no evidence of even light use. mislisted as a sterling sub and therefore was listed at the current market value of the sterling version. where's the lucky git emoticon?

Who said you can't still find a bargain online B)

[attachment=147915:New Bass Day.jpg]

I think that i may have been exceptionally flukey

Excited to get it home, clean the dust, grime and mold off, new strings, new battery and plug it in.

Am also looking forward to hearing the difference between it and my indonesian version (which i ordered before realising there was a superior version available if you looked hard enough).

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1383932366' post='2271031']
Well played old mate! I must have missed that one although not sure how, I have been trauling for a sub 5 for a couple of weeks!
Glad you are happy, hope I can get a hold of one soon, this GAS is killing me!
[/quote]

I had serious GAS ever since getting the made in Indonesia version, but am feeling better now.

At least you'll be up against one less person when the next one comes up.

Good luck.

Hiya.
I have an Indonesian made 4 and think it sounds absolutely amazing.
I started with an OLP with a Seymour Duncan pickup upgrade and thought that sounded pretty good, but the SUB trashed it, with old strings on.
And it has a jazz width neck unlike the P width OLP
So,as an owner of the USA and Indonesian models, what if any, differences in the tone/sound are there?
Ta
MM

Hello

I'm finding the differences pretty hard to put into words.

Main ones are these

Indonesian sounds best (sounds most like) for another one bites the dust and has a little more edge when played finger style.

The american one seems to have a really really warm rich tone. It sounds nice playing just a simple major scale. Really smooth sustained notes. The pickup is different (on the 5er anyway, i notice that on the four string versions they are the same) in appearance anyway but I don't know enough to know if there is an actual difference.

I really like the slab body on the US version. I was worried since i am a little bit on the bony side but it it's very comfortable to play. It weighs a good couple of extra kilos which might bother some folks but means no neck dive and may be why the sustain is better.

The nut is really well machined on the US compared top the rubbery one on the Indonesian version.

In general i found out easier to get a wide range of tones from the Indonesian one, but i prefer playing the other one.

So much so that the indonesian one is going to have to go.

I can take some detail close up comparison pictures of the nut, frets, pickup etc. If anyone would be intetested in seeing them. I doubt I'd be able top record anything worth hearing given my lack of technology and having to swap strings back and fOrth for a true comparison.

Here are some comparison photos which may be of some help to someone, who knows.

[attachment=148059:SUB comparisons_001.jpg]
[attachment=148060:SUB comparisons_002.jpg]
[attachment=148061:SUB comparisons_003.jpg]
[attachment=148062:SUB comparisons_004.jpg]
[attachment=148063:SUB comparisons_005.jpg]
[attachment=148064:SUB comparisons_006.jpg]
[attachment=148065:SUB comparisons_007.jpg]
[attachment=148066:SUB comparisons_008.jpg]
[attachment=148067:SUB comparisons_009.jpg]
[attachment=148058:SUB comparisons_010.jpg]

Im going to have a stab in the dark here and say the usa will have a ceramic pickup like a standard usa Ray of the same era where the indonesian one probably has an alnico one previously only possible by buying either an early ray five (80's and early 90's) or like my blue 2010 one with the alnico coming in around 2007 even though my black 2007 is a last of the line ceramic version but with the newer switch/battery box position etc. So to get the full pre eb sound from the usa sub you should put the indonesian pickup in it although its probably not the same as a usa pickup,confused yet? Lol

Having just had a proper play around I have come to two definite conclusions.

The flat wounds sound too flat for want of a better word on the us sub, so will be putting round wounds back on.

The pre amp on the other one is way more responsive, you can almost get a P tone by cutting the bass and using a pick, even with the flatwounds on and i definitely can't do that with the US version.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1384108238' post='2272845']
Time to have a peek inside at the pickup and preamp on both basses imo, I would get a push pull pot fitted for series parallel on the usa bass.
[/quote]

Is fitting a push-pull easy enough to do?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1384100534' post='2272735']
Im going to have a stab in the dark here and say the usa will have a ceramic pickup like a standard usa Ray of the same era where the indonesian one probably has an alnico one previously only possible by buying either an early ray five (80's and early 90's) or like my blue 2010 one with the alnico coming in around 2007 even though my black 2007 is a last of the line ceramic version but with the newer switch/battery box position etc. So to get the full pre eb sound from the usa sub you should put the indonesian pickup in it although its probably not the same as a usa pickup,confused yet? Lol
[/quote]

My EBMM SUB5 had an alnico pickup, wired in parallel.

[quote name='rodma' timestamp='1384101737' post='2272753']
all i know is that the indonesian one has cut and boost on both the treble and the bass, since there is a little midpoint "notch" that the pots click into.

other than than that i am just getting confused, but that's nothing new :)
[/quote]

The SBMM guy has stated that the preamp and pickups are different in their instruments to those made by EBMM.

Having a centre detent knob does not automatically mean it is cut/boost, and if it is, it does not mean the centre detent is where the flat point is... :)

My first ever mm was one of these and I'd still say it was the best sounding one I ever owned even compared to a 25th anniv 5 string I had at one point. Only bad point was the non profiled edge digging in to your forearm above the bridge but that was a small gripe.
Great to get a bargain like that. Enjoy.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1384113701' post='2272945']

The SBMM guy has stated that the preamp and pickups are different in their instruments to those made by EBMM.

Having a centre detent knob does not automatically mean it is cut/boost, and if it is, it does not mean the centre detent is where the flat point is... :)
[/quote]

It kind of sounds like it can cut the bass, where the US one just gives you bass or more slightly different sounding bass. I'm sure you're right about the positioning of the centre detent (thanks for the vocab) not necessarily being in the right place and I'm not that surprised about the different hardware. The Indonesian one is a great and probably a more versatile beast, but i have fallen for the warm tones of the EBMM