Why become a member? ×

Random injury causing pain and can't play bass?

Greggo

I think my 16 month old son has broken me and I'm struggling to have any dexterity in hands!

He's pretty heavy now and about 3 days I woke up and I had pains in my both hands and tendons and I can only think that picking up my son and carrying him I've done my arms in! It's like I've done most excessive arms workout at the gym!

Anyone else had this? Pain is in biceps triceps and particularly tendons. Most upsetting thing is that since I cannot play my bass and it's really difficult to drive too!

It's day 3 now and feels more painful than ever!

Hi, I can sympathise - I put my neck out throwing my son in the air a couple of years back, and it lasted for months! It sounds like you have some sort of acute muscular or injury - they usually feel worse a couple of days after whatever it was you might have done. Things like carpal tunnel syndrome and sarcoidosis have a much slower onset, and you'd be unlucky for them to start on both sides at the same time.
My advice - go to see your GP, preferably one who knows what they're talking about when it comes to muscles and joints (if in doubt, ask the receptionists if one of them does joint injections - they will usually be the most skilled at this type of problem). You could certainly go to a physio and spend £30 + for some good diagnosis and advice also.

DOI - I'm a GP.

Thanks for replies :)

Day 4 and still in pain, I can feel pain in my legs too so think whatever I have done I've really damaged myself and I'm struggling to have any strength in doing simple things like opening a bottle lids, doing shirt buttons etc.

Come to think of it, I was larking about with son last weekend and throwing him in the air too and as much as he was laughing his head off, he's probably having the last laugh now!

6 months, groan! Was meant to be first rehearsal with new band this Thursday too!

Yep will get checked in with doctors and see about a physiotherapist!

Edited by Greggo

When I say 6 months, that's because I spent most of the time sleeping on his floor at night after our second was born... common sense applies here. Anti-inflammatories, changing posture, regular exercise - nah, those are for wimps! If that sort of injury lasts for longer than a few weeks you're generally doing something daft that stops it settling down.

[quote name='cupples' timestamp='1383499285' post='2265095']
When I say 6 months, that's because I spent most of the time sleeping on his floor at night after our second was born... common sense applies here. Anti-inflammatories, changing posture, regular exercise - nah, those are for wimps! If that sort of injury lasts for longer than a few weeks you're generally doing something daft that stops it settling down.
[/quote]

I fear that as much as I'm trying to avoid any heavy lifting, picking him up can't be completely avoided and can't help matters with my injury!

I've been taking ibuprofen (although only 200mg x 2) which have helped somewhat, although only really having 1 or 2 doses daily - i can't help but feel if the pain is numbed I won't realise how much more damage I may end up accidentally doing!

No, I don't think doing yourself more damage is really an issue with taking painkillers - you're more likely to hold yourself awkwardly and sit or lift improperly if you're sore - at this stage if it is a muscular or tendon problem, gentle exercise and early mobilisation is usually helpful, and painkillers/anti-inflammatories tend to promote that. But, like I say, it's best getting a hands-on diagnosis to confirm that.

[quote name='cupples' timestamp='1383501419' post='2265132']
No, I don't think doing yourself more damage is really an issue with taking painkillers - you're more likely to hold yourself awkwardly and sit or lift improperly if you're sore - at this stage if it is a muscular or tendon problem, gentle exercise and early mobilisation is usually helpful, and painkillers/anti-inflammatories tend to promote that. But, like I say, it's best getting a hands-on diagnosis to confirm that.
[/quote]

Thanks for information, nice to have a resident GP on basschat :)

If I'm not ok to drive tomorrow will work from home and get an appointment. I suppose I can judge how better I am by if I can get left hand to fret a note on bass! Couldn't actually get any strength to do that yesterday!