Why become a member? ×

Macbook Help - upgrade or replace?

King Tut

I've recently been getting more into recording using Logic on my 2009 macbook (2.13 ghz intel core 2 duo). As my recordings get more complex, I'm more frequently getting a cpu overload message. This isn't a big problem at the moment, but I've just discovered how to add automation into my tracks and would anticipate the problem getting worse as I use more tracks etc etc.

The computer has 2gb of RAM (standard), can officially be upgraded to 4 gb and unofficially upgraded to 6 gb. My questions are:

1. Would upgrading the RAM solve my system overload problems or is it time to bite the bullet and upgrade to a current macbook pro?

2. I'm using a phonic desk as an interface, connected via a firewire interface. If I bought a macbook pro, as these don't have a firewire port, how would I connect it to my desk?

3. Can of worms . . . would I be better served keeping my macbook for general computing, and buying a cheaper PC based laptop dedicated to running logic? I don't really want to get into a mac vs pc debate but could do with some unbiased informed opinion.

Logic is Mac only these days. Unless you want to go through all the hassle of learning a new DAW you're best off sticking with a Mac.

CPU overload is unlikely to be cured by adding more RAM unless you are using lots of virtual instruments or sample based instruments. Where are you storing your audio files? On the MacBook's internal hard disk? If so you'd be better off with a dedicated FW disk for your audio.

I used to get a similar thing on my old one.

You can 'freeze' a track if you're kinda happy with it for the time. That converts it to audio, and saves a ton of CPU usage. You can always unfreeze it at a later date if you need to do something with it.

Edited by ambient

Check that your FW peripherals are compatible with a Thunderbolt adaptor. Audio devices are the most likely ones to not work.

IIRC freezing a track doesn't do anything to convert MIDI to audio (and besides MIDI data is hardly processor intensive as computers have been manipulating it since the 80s when they had a fraction of the power that is available now). What it does is to create a new version of the track with any edits and plugins rendered as a continuous audio file. That will help with both disk access and CPU usage since it cuts down on seeks times and plug in computation.

as ram is so cheap i would upgrade it to 4gb, i don't see why it wouldn't help. 2gb is bare minimum.

adding a firewire HD (get one that runs at 7200 rpm) is a good idea - obviously you need to move your projects to that HD. apparently its a good idea to have logic running from the system HD (i.e. your laptop) and projects/samples etc from external.

what OS are you running? more recent OSs are more efficient (i think)

make sure no other apps are open when you're running logic.

what is the buffer set at? setting a higher buffer in the logic prefs will help it run better.

automation isn't going to increase cpu load. things that increase CPU load are plugins, instruments FX etc.

maybe you can streamline how you use FX? do you make use of the send busses rather than insert fX onto every channel?

by the sound of your situation i would hang onto your setup and see if you can make it work! upgrading just brings grief :)

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1382898391' post='2257755']
automation isn't going to increase cpu load.
[/quote]

Yep, in fact use automation to bypass/turn off fx when not in constant use.

One of the advantages of DAW's and VST's that now use VST 3,
Is that if at any point a plug in or soft synth is not in use, it is automatically disabled,
then engaged when needed, so no need for automation.

Edited by lowdown

Logic uses AU plugs exclusively so the vst3 tip won't apply unfortunately, but I think you can automate them to be turned on and off, I've not tried this actually.

One thing I forgot t mention was that some 3rd party instruments and plugs are very high CPU hogs, I have a particularly bad one by MOTU, so keep an eye on which if any are causing issues!

Working at 88k or 96k is a bad hog too, so work at 44 or 48 if you're not already.

Your 2009 mac should be able to handle logic quite easily. I guess there is a problem with your computer. Bring it to the apple store. They will run some checks and tell you for free what the problem is. Whether you progress or not is up to you. It's worth a trip. Good luck.