Why become a member? ×

Advice on Rack Tuner with Hartke LH1000

Who's Who

Hi all

This may sound like a really stupid question, but I was after a bit of advice please.

I was looking at getting a Rack Tuner, probably the new Korg Pitchblack Pro: [url="http://www.korg.com/pitchblackpro"]http://www.korg.com/pitchblackpro[/url]

I was then looking to stick this in a 3U Rack case with my Hartke LH1000.
I've never used a Rack Tuner before, and was wondering how you hook them up to your amp.

Looking at the tuner, it appears to have 3 inputs on the front. One that checks for faulty cables, another which has a mute button above it and a third labelled input 1.
The rear then has one which says output, and one which says input 2.

My Lh1000 then has one input on the front, and an Effects send and return on the rear.

Is it possible to connect the two units at the rear so it's nice and neat in the rack case.

The pictures on Thomann are pretty clear:
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/korg_pitchblack_pro_racktuner.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/korg_pitchblack_pro_racktuner.htm[/url]
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/hartke_lh1000.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/hartke_lh1000.htm[/url]

Thanks in advance

Yes, if you're not going to use the effects loop you can connect to the tuner input 2 from the send on the amp and have everything nice and tidy. You don't need to have the tuner out connected back into the return on the amp. Why the LH has no tuner out I don't know - a cost issue, I presume. :)

Edit: That Korg tuner looks totally far out, btw. And not too expensive. Let us know how you get on with it.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1382448654' post='2252239']
Yes, if you're not going to use the effects loop you can connect to the tuner input 2 from the send on the amp and have everything nice and tidy. You don't need to have the tuner out connected back into the return on the amp. Why the LH has no tuner out I don't know - a cost issue, I presume. :)

Edit: That Korg tuner looks totally far out, btw. And not too expensive. Let us know how you get on with it.
[/quote]

So I would plug my bass into the input at the front of the amp. Then plug a lead into the 'Send' on the rear of the amp, and plug that into 'Input 2' on the rear of the tuner. No other leads needed?
Is that correct?

[quote name='Who's Who' timestamp='1382450172' post='2252257']
So I would plug my bass into the input at the front of the amp. Then plug a lead into the 'Send' on the rear of the amp, and plug that into 'Input 2' on the rear of the tuner. No other leads needed?
Is that correct?
[/quote]

That is correct. :)

No, no, no!

The mute is for a pedal so that you can remote mute the ouput from the tuner.

Do this..

Bass -> Input 1 -> Using George Ls thin cable, go from Output on the rear of the tuner -> Input on your amp (If it's in a rack case, the George L is thin enough to go between rack units into the input of your amp.

Then, using a latched mute, (or maybe unlatched mute - you'd have to read the requirements of the tuner), you can then press your pedal for silent tuning. Press agin, the ouput then becomes live again so the signal goes to your amp.

PS There is no front tuner output.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1382456756' post='2252378']
But then you're including the tuner in your signal path... an A/B box would allow muted tuning.
[/quote]

You honestly telling me at a gig, that the tuner is going to have a massive impact on your tone? Pull the other one.

It's how it's been designed to work.

What would be better would be if there is a mute switch on the amp with a pass through to the tuner. But that's not going to help the OP is is?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1382457179' post='2252382']
You honestly telling me at a gig, that the tuner is going to have a massive impact on your tone?
[/quote]

Yeah - let's have an argument about it.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1382457179' post='2252382']
What would be better would be if there is a mute switch on the amp with a pass through to the tuner. But that's not going to help the OP is is?
[/quote]

As the OP has an LH1000... no, it isn't. He needs to try out the options and see what works best for him.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1382457762' post='2252396']
Yeah - let's have an argument about it.
[/quote]

I'd rather not ta.

[quote]
As the OP has an LH1000... no, it isn't. He needs to try out the options and see what works best for him.
[/quote]

Seems sensible.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1382467119' post='2252574']
I have a Korg DT2000 hooked up as follows:-

Amp FX Send -> Korg rear input 1
Korg rear output 1 -> Amp FX Return

That way I can use the mute switch on the tuner. There is absolutely no tone loss at all.
[/quote]

OH MY GOD! Not in the signal chain! Think of the tone loss man!

Yeah, that aside, seems like a valid solution too! :P

Edited by EBS_freak

Great looking piece of kit. I have put my deposit down on one, they're due in December/January it seems.

I'll plug in as I do my current DTR1000, bass to input (you can use the switch above the mute pedal to manually mute), rear output to amp input (via the rack DI and Y box in my case). The Korg claims to have a buffered output to minimise any signal change but would you notice it anyway?

Works fine for me as I don't want any pedals kicking around and the cable lengths needed to get the pedal out front.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1382475485' post='2252732']
OH MY GOD! Not in the signal chain! Think of the tone loss man!

Yeah, that aside, seems like a valid solution too! :P
[/quote]

I know, I get over it by enduring regular self flagellation with a sea bass...