Why become a member? ×

Envelope filters that can handle a very hot input signal

Gunsfreddy2003

Evening all,

Recently took possession of my spangly new GB Rumour 5 which is all good but these basses are renowned for their phenomenal on board EQ and thus have a very hot output signal. Problem is that I am struggling to get any of my envelope filters to cope with the signal, it is so hot that the filters won't open properly and thus I can't get my normal quacks funk sounds!

I wonder if anyone can recommend a filter that works well with such a powerful input signal?

Edited by Gunsfreddy2003

The MXR M82 bass envelope filter has a "sensitivity" control so you can easily set how much of the signal is effected, and therefore how much dynamic quack you want. Consider this pedal man, it's amazing, and it will give you the control that you're looking for. Your uber-hot signal is not a problem. Dial that quack to suit your bass ... really :)

Edited by Fionn

Had one of these a couple of years ago and sold it as it was not needed but I was using different basses then. Shame is that I love my Aguilar Filter Twin but it just can't cope with the Rumour!!

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1382301404' post='2250470']
The MXR M82 bass envelope filter has a "sensitivity" control so you can easily set how much of the signal is effected, and therefore how much dynamic quack you want. Consider this pedal man, it's amazing, and it will give you the control that you're looking for. Your uber-hot signal is not a problem. Dial that quack to suit your bass ... really :)
[/quote]

Yeah, I have a Mutron III and the problem is that unless you have the gain up high it does not sound so good! Interestingly, the Mutron sounds great with a passive jazz or the 77 Stingray but the GB is just too hot for it!

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1382335682' post='2250650']
The Mutron III has an input gain control too
[/quote]

Which one do you like best?

[quote name='johnDeereJack' timestamp='1382345869' post='2250765']
I have an MXR M82 (as mentioned above) plus a 3Leaf Audio GR2 which also has a sensitivity control. Both pedals work incredibly well with my active fretless. Very easy to dial in some nice squelchy, quacky funk!
[/quote]

I have both on my board; the MXR is band pass and can't be altered so I have the GR2 set to low pass. I use the GR2 on it's own for funk stuff while I pair the M82 with fuzz/OD and octave for synthy nonesense.
Both are really great filter pedals IMHO with plenty of great features & usable tones but if I had to choose one over the other it would be the GR2. It's just so much more versatile and has the ability to be band pass or low pass with an internal switch. Not really that useful in a gig situation I grant you, hence the M82 still being used.
When I heard about 3Leaf's other filter pedal - the Wonderlove, which I believe replaced/superseded the GR's - I went out and bought one on the basis it had a BP/LP switch mounted on the top of the unit for easy switching in a gig situation and an external gain control (GR2's is internal) plus it was billed as the best filter Spencer could create. Unfortunately it didn't live up to the hype and I sold it shortly after.
Bottom line; if you can find a used GR2 then buy it but the MXR M82 is definetly a great filter pedal so shouldn't be ruled out.

I have different patches set up on my Soundblox Pro Envelope Filter with different input gains or envelope peaks depending on which bass I am using. I have been through lots of brands over the years and the Soundblox is superior by far to anything I have used. At over £200, its not a cheap solution and I thought I was mad at the time when I bought it, but the pedal has so many features to help you fine tune what you want...almost too many features!