Why become a member? ×

Focus

flyfisher

Another fan here. Having engineered live shows a couple of times for Jan few years back (it was an absolute honour!) I can honestly say he's a true gent. Moving Waves was the soundtrack to my exam revision studies too.

Can't imagine it without his distinctive guitar playing to be honest, what I've seen of the current line up on you tube doesn't seem to quite have 'it' - or maybe the grass was greener in those days :happy:

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1381842555' post='2244401']
I watched them on telly a few months ago - it was a recording from a festival down south somewhere (High Voltage?).

I couldn't believe the performance of Hocus Pocus. It sounded like the whole band just wanted to be somewhere else, as soon as possible. It was about 3000000mph.
[/quote]
This is the version of the track which was released in America back in the day. It's a lot faster and not as good as the "proper" version. I've no idea why they choose to play it live.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1381855130' post='2244604']

This is the version of the track which was released in America back in the day. It's a lot faster and not as good as the "proper" version. I've no idea why they choose to play it live.
[/quote]

I did not know that - I'll have to have listen. Ta for the info.

Don`t know if I told this story before.

About 12 years ago, I was going to see Jan play the Renfrew ferry in Glasgow. On the same day, a couple of guys were fitting a new carpet in my flat. Just shooting the breeze with the guys, I mentioned the gig. One of the guys said that his mate was playing support to Jan that very night and he would get his autograph for me as he helped his mate with the gear.

And he did but I don`t know what I did with the autograph :unsure:

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1381819113' post='2244041']
What was the sound like in there Flyfisher?

Most gigs I've been to at the Corn Exchange, the sound has been dreadful. They have been the events mixed by their own sound man though.

He got the severe hump with me and my G&L bass when I last played there. He declared it far too loud and accused me of having a pre amp hidden somewhere :o Refused to believe it was passive.
[/quote]

Focus had their own sound guy and he did a pretty good job, for my ears anyway.

I know what you mean about HCX but they don't seem to have a single resident sound guy. I've played their 'Sunday Live' sessions and they've used two or three different guys over the years. Other bands I've seen there have also brought their own sound guy.