Why become a member? ×

Live photos and videos

Silvia Bluejay

If a few more bands create photo threads in the next few days, I can pin them to see what it's like when it's crowded at the top, and then ask the admins to create a subforum instead, and we'll test that other solution. As I said, I do think a subforum may be better than having 25 or more pins. IMO, however, it's not better than having up to say 10 pins.
We're here to experiment :)

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1381222147' post='2235856']
There are subforums on this site that have 15 or 20 pins, and I have absolutely no problem reading them and finding my way around, on desktop and on a tablet. It's a matter of personal preference - I tend to find it far more tedious to have to jump in and out of subforums, especially on a tablet - in a word, scrolling has in my view the edge over navigating.
[/quote]

Up to a point. Since the number of threads on a basschat page cannot be increased, once you fill up the front page you cant scroll and are back to navigating.

I don't believe you should be making changes to the forums based on your own personal preferences without having a discussion and a vote about the issue in 'Site Issues' first.

I'm not going to use my personal preferences, but someone will eventually decide one way or another, according to what seems best for the forum. That's a moderator's task. If by chance the final decision is not exactly to your liking, that will not be due to the mod throwing her weight around but to her just choosing what seems the best option.

Edit: that was in reply to Pete Young.

Edited by bluejay

I'm still not convinced.

Just now when I dropped into the Gigs forum I was immediately greeted with a screen full of pinned threads none of which had received any new posts. All the new stuff (including this thread) was "below the fold". I work in conjunction with a lot of web designers and developers and there is a big deal made about designing a building pages so that the important and most frequently updated information is presented to users at the top where it can be easily found. Having to scroll down to get to the important stuff is universally known to be bad practice - just ask any of the Basschatters who are also involved in web design and development.

And while there are other forums with lots of pinned threads, that doesn't make it a good thing. Especially when at least 50% of the "information" in many of them is worthless. IMO the Basschat WikI was a far better repository for the majority of the content of these pinned threads. The Gigs forum was one of the few places on Basschat left without an overabundance of pinned threads and I found it much more pleasant to use because of it.

There are only 30 slots available on a page before it becomes full. If your idea takes off I can see them all quite easily becoming filled up rather rapidly.

I think Silvia is onto something great here, trying to bring a bit of life to the gigs forum as we have over in the recording forum can only be a good thing for the site :)

I can see we're having a bit of difficulty deciding on a fixed format but lets see how it goes in its current incarnation and evolve it over time rather than trying to do this all in one hit. At the end of the day the gigs forum was pretty dead before so anything should be an improvement :)

Keep the ideas pouring in though :D

I'm really happy that more people are suddenly posting gigs in the list below the pins! And there are more visitors checking out what's going on.
We are not in a hurry to change the newly applied format, but I would still like to be allowed to create directories and move threads without bothering any admin, so that we can tweak things and test them as we go along.
The ultimate aim is to allow the information contained in the forum to reach as many people as possible in a way that irritates as few people as possible :D

Quick note to thank you all for paying more attention to the Gigs forum in the last few days! We're obviously still at the testing stage with our improvements, and I'll ask again for permission to create directories and move posts when I'm back from my long weekend out of the country on Monday.

I should have some sort of internet access from there, but it's likely to be iffy, so let me apologise in advance if you see me around less often for the next couple of days - rest assured that the project hasn't been abandoned :D
Have a great one, all.

Right - back in action!
I've been informed that I'm not allowed to create subforums but I am allowed to move threads into an existing one. So the next step will be for me to ask an admin to please create one to dedicate to our bands' media.

Question 1 - How should we name that subforum? Anybody have any suggestions?
Question 2 - Would it be better to have two subforums under Gigs (one for the listings and one for the bands' media), or should we simply go for a Media subforum and leave the listings "loose", as they are now?

Thank you all for your help, patience and cooperation so far :)

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1381853529' post='2244580']
Question 1 - How should we name that subforum? Anybody have any suggestions?
Question 2 - Would it be better to have two subforums under Gigs (one for the listings and one for the bands' media), or should we simply go for a Media subforum and leave the listings "loose", as they are now?
[/quote]

Well, if no one else is clamouring to answer...
Q1: we could always name it after this thread. "Live photos and videos" seems pretty short and to-the-point!
Q2: I would have thought it would be better to have the one subforum for live media - if you take all the listings out of the main Gigs forum there might not be much left!

:D

I had promised to try the subforum setup eventually, and I think it will work, if other BCers add their own bands to it. If, after some time, I notice that the forum starts languishing and the threads don't get updated, I'll revert to the single area setup.
Now it's just a matter of waiting until an admin finds the time to help me, as I'm not allowed to create new directories. :)

• 4 weeks later...