Why become a member? ×

Using backing tracks?

martthebass

There's no right or wrong answer to this, just what different folks want to see. I'd rather always see live music played live, but a lot of folks are happy to see a one man band playing to backing tracks. What I do expect though is that the musicians that are there are actually playing their instruments or singing. A one man band with a guitar playing to backing tracks is fine, not my cup of tea but fine, as long as he's playing that guitar and singing, when it becomes deception I have a problem.
Our band has a private gig where we've been asked to play 'Blockbuster' (the song not the video place :D ) and we have a loop of the opening siren, it's a backing track of sorts so where do you draw the line.

On a similar note but the opposite end of the spectrum, I have issues with established bands bringing in non 'known' members to play live shows. Green day have always been a three piece punk band (don't get into the punk debate) but when I saw them on the American Idiot tour they had a fourth member, The Kings of Leon are a four piece right? So why was there a fifth member when they were on telly the other day. If you're an established act with 'famous' members then personally I feel you should write your music so you can play it live with the members you have. I mean KoL have two guitars, bass and drums, do they really need a third guitar to play live?

Edited by Maude

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1381071122' post='2233969']
...KoL have two guitars, bass and drums, do they really need a third guitar to play live?
[/quote]

If they think it's going to improve things, then why not? Rather that than a guitar track. I'm sure they can afford him. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1381072872' post='2233992']
If they think it's going to improve things, then why not? Rather that than a guitar track. I'm sure they can afford him. :)
[/quote]

I'd certainly rather that than a guitar track but my point is if I was in a four piece band then I'd write music for a four piece band, if you need the fifth member then market yourself, including promo pics as a five piece. Not a big deal, it just slightly annoys me, but then a lot of stuff seems to nowadays :D .

I have no problem with using a pre-recorded intro to blockbuster, you could even have a bit of fun with it by wondering where it's coming from. I'd laugh anyway. You'd be playing the actual song live. I have no problem with a keyboard player playing the horn parts, string parts or even voices, or a drummer with an electronic drum kit playing samples as they'd be playing it live. It's the use of backing tracks to replace musicians or because you can't play it live and miming that I think are totally inexcusable and cheating.

While discussing this thread with the rest of the band last night, our drummer went as far as to proclaim that he felt that any band using backing tracks instead of musicians and or miming should be forced to display this on any advertising and posters.

Just think, that guy playing and singing to karaoke backing tracks has taken your job and your wages.

Edited by bertbass

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1381099262' post='2234450']
I have no problem with using a pre-recorded intro to blockbuster, you could even have a bit of fun with it by wondering where it's coming from. I'd laugh anyway. You'd be playing the actual song live. I have no problem with a keyboard player playing the horn parts, string parts or even voices, or a drummer with an electronic drum kit playing samples as they'd be playing it live. It's the use of backing tracks to replace musicians or because you can't play it live and miming that I think are totally inexcusable and cheating.

While discussing this thread with the rest of the band last night, our drummer went as far as to proclaim that he felt that any band using backing tracks instead of musicians and or miming should be forced to display this on any advertising and posters.

Just think, that guy playing and singing to karaoke backing tracks has taken your job and your wages.
[/quote]

But the keyboard player playing the horn and string parts could arguably be robbing horn and string players of a gig. This was the scenario when the organ and subsequently the synthesiser became popular way back when.
The karaoke fella fits in in the same way- he's cheaper than a band. That's the way it is in our business just like everyone else's business.

But if a gtr band plays a track with a trademark piano part on it...??? then that doesn't look good.
My point was that a band would fly in parts that were fundemental to the making of the track... and then that song became
one of their best numbers, along with other songs that had parts flown in... and I thought that was a bit cheeky.

A string is an embelishment not a crucial part... BV's should always be done live, IMO.

I don't consider solo's and duo's in this as they aren't going to affect anyone and nobody takes too much notice anyway

The point about having to declare none live parts is funny... just think who would fall foul of that.

Not my fav band, but Muse use an other player for parts...but am still not sure how much else comes in..
Most big acts can afford to augment... but oddly Toto use to hide a couple of theirs..??? but at least we assume they were still live.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1381166098' post='2235279']
Toto use to hide a couple of theirs..??? but at least we assume they were still live.
[/quote]

I have it on the best authority that Toto were actually zombies.
Shotgun sales went up drastically when they toured the US. :mellow: