Why become a member? ×

Bass for dainty hands...

hogi63

Has anyone got a recommendation for a fairly small bass? My 14 year old daughter wants to learn to play, and can't get to grips with my Samick LB-11. She's looking at a Daisy Rock bass in shocking pink, and as I'm not progressing much, have offered her my Samick to trade-in on the deal that I get to play hers now and then... Now, shocking pink just ain't my colour, so any good recommendations?

I was having problems with playing my fiancé's basses (small hands :) ) and so bought a Daisy Rock. It plays really nicely and it's definitely small enough for me to play. I have a heartbreaker (heart shaped one) which is a bit of a pain to play sat down so I would suggest getting one of the more traditional shaped ones for her... however I would reccomend them!

[quote name='s0fa' post='221696' date='Jun 18 2008, 08:38 PM']I was having problems with playing my fiancé's basses (small hands :) ) and so bought a Daisy Rock. It plays really nicely and it's definitely small enough for me to play. I have a heartbreaker (heart shaped one) which is a bit of a pain to play sat down so I would suggest getting one of the more traditional shaped ones for her... however I would reccomend them![/quote]
It's also black, so shocking pink is not a necessity! +lots on getting a normal shape one as well.

I have no basis to recommend these, but if it was me, and a Fender Mustang was out of the question, I'd look at a short-scale Jazz Bass copy, such as can be found at [url="http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html"]http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html[/url]

Depends, I'd say on the strength of experiences with Ibanez guitars (not basses) and their thin necks that their basses are worth a look if a full size (34") is wanted, by reports I've heard they've got thin necks.

Also, that Sammick is a p-bass style one yea? Jazz necks might be better for her.

Edited by Buzz

I have a lovely custom bass made by Les Evan's in Liverpool. It was specifically made for Mark (Bassculture) who has very small hands. The neck is the thinest I've ever seen and to put my big hands around the nut end of the neck is amazing :)

The neck is also a 7 piece laminate with a 'V' profile that makes it very stiff and anchors the thumb the the 'right' spot.

It's actually one of the basses I've been offering for sale recently too but it seems a very bad time for selling at the moment. It might be well worth a look if anyone has a small hands issue.

Peter

Hogi...

Huge +1 for daisy rock....

far too many put these down without actually seeing one. Very good quality intsrument and well built, but WAY too small for me, but then I've got shovel like hands.

Ideal for a small person who doesnt want or is likely to be put off by a heap of cheap camel poo!

Several on here have had the same dialemma as you and opted for Dasiy Rock, and got great results.

I love short scale basses. My main gigging bass is a Fender Mustang, which is so easy to play it should be considered cheating. For a cheaper alternative the squier bronco, especially 7 the badtz-maru version, looks good:

I also have a Squier vista-series musicmaster in shell pink. They come up secondhand sometimes.

The danelectro shortscales have nice skinny necks and a very distinctive sound.

My daughter is twelve & has a Daisyrock heartbreaker bass, it has a comfy neck and punchy sound, however I had to relocate one of the strap buttons to cure the neck dive & the shape doesn't lend itself to playing sitting down. She also has an '71 musicmaster and a Daisyrock elite which has a 32" scale.

Ok, I'm getting a big thumbs up here for her first choice anyway, so looking good. I can have a go at talking her out of shocking pink, but as it's gonna be hers, maybe I'll just have to get more in touch with my feminine side....

Thanks again all for thoughts!

All peaveys I have played (i have owned 4) have had thin playable necks. I started bass at 13 and even now a 19 i have small hands and aint very tall (when i say small hands I have compared with 5' tall girls and they have longer fingers)
They also start cheap and dont look girly, check out the Milestones (J and P stylings)

[quote name='Jase' post='225684' date='Jun 24 2008, 10:03 AM']I've also been looking for a short scale bass for my daughter, 7.....think the Daisy Rock may be a little big. I think maybe 25" scale would be suitable, can't find any though.[/quote]

Tanglewood do a couple that are very small scale - not sure the exact scale though.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='225833' date='Jun 24 2008, 01:04 PM']Tanglewood do a couple that are very small scale - not sure the exact scale though.[/quote]

Thanks Adrenochrome but it only comes in blue and mahogany....."no good for a girl dad!" :)

very small scale though!

[quote name='hogi63' post='223233' date='Jun 20 2008, 08:32 PM']Ok, I'm getting a big thumbs up here for her first choice anyway, so looking good. I can have a go at talking her out of shocking pink, but as it's gonna be hers, maybe I'll just have to get more in touch with my feminine side....

Thanks again all for thoughts![/quote]

As long you're secure with your male side, shocknig pink should be no problem!

If it ticks all her boxes she's more likely to get hooked!

I have tiny hobbit hands! And I play a Mexican Fender Urge I MIM. The scale is 32" but most importantly it has a such a slim neck that I get my whole hand round it with ease, so much so that I'm quite happy fretting the E string with the thumb of my left hand. Plus, this thing weighs absolutely nothing, yet has a really good wide-ranging sound. Its so easy to play, I must be cheating!

One was on ebay last week, went for under £250 I think. Can't recommend them enough.

Alternatively, I'd always like a Fender Mustang.

Best of luck mate

Forgot to mention, the Urge also has the benefit of looking like a proper fender bass, and has the full 24 frets despite such a scale length of 32"

Edited by RaNoFuNkY