Why become a member? ×

Should I buy a KK baby bass?

sarah thomas

I see from Bluejay's great blog that several people tried out the KK baby bass at the recent south east bass bash. What do you think of it? Happy Jack, are you chuffed with your KB1 or are you yearning for a classic? Clarky, how does the KK clone compare with the original? (Aside from the smell.)

If you tried the KK out, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Part of me feels there's only enough time to play one bass, but then again ... I have funds burning a hole in my bank account.

I write as one who's never set eyes on a KK let alone played one but the emphasis on its salsa suitability makes me worry that it may be a bit too thumpy for my taste. I like a bass with a good legato sound and sustain. How have others found this particular aspect?

Edited by bassace

Well, the diaphragm pickup on either original Ampeg or KK Baby Bass sounds very little like an acoustic bass - its ideal for bassy, driving salsa lines (Kris Kedzior takes out all the high mids and winds up the treble on his MarkBass combo, while having the tone rolled all the way off on his Baby Bass).

For this reason I have added a Shadow SH950 piezo pickup to my Ampeg wedged into a replacement maple bridge (I have kept the original aluminium one of course). With careful EQing it sounds pretty good as an approximation of an amplified double bass (I use the word amplified deliberately here).

KK basses are lighter and more bombproof than the original Ampeg I own (or the 'cheese bass' as my band call it), basically a more modern take. Given that they cost the same as (or only slightly more than) a Mexican factory churned-out Fender (£750-950 depending on options) I think they are excellent value for money.

For me, the Ampeg is great as I gig in London and its more portable than my 'real' DB plus I never have to worry about feedback.

Jack has been very busy today but I'll give him a prod to check out this thread and let you know about his own experience with the KB1 as soon as he has a spare moment, Sarah. From what I can see, he's very happy with tone and portability, especially now that he has replaced the Thomastik strings with softer ones (I keep forgetting names and details, so you'll have to ask him).

Jack has taken my recommendation and replaced the Thomastik Superflexible Solo strings with Presto Nylon Wound Ultralights - fairly chunky gut-alike strings that feel more like an old time DB, are exceptionally easy on the hands, and also have a more warm tone IMHO. I have these on my Ampeg BB and like them very much. http://www.presto-strings.com/doublebass.html

Late to the thread, guys, sorry!

All the above is true (regarding strings, amplification, etc.) although I should mention that the Prestos are inherently quieter than the Thomastiks and so require more amplification.

I have now made my DB and my KK feel almost exactly the same under the fingers in terms of strings and action.

I have played both basses in the studio and live on stage in the last week, and there is simply no denying that the DB sounds better than the KK under all circumstances, but on the other hand the KK has the DB beaten all hands down on gigging practicality. Manoevering my DB in a gigbag through and then out of The Troubadour last week took me and Bluejay working as a team, plus the cooperation of nearly half the people in the bloody place! ([i]Excuse me ... coming through ... watch that light fitting! ... mind your back please ... was that your foot? ... yes, if you could just move those stools ... oops, I'm sorry, shall I buy you another one?[/i])

In terms of on-stage sound, the truth is that we're all so dependent on so many factors for FOH sound that the distinction in sound between DB and KK is nowhere near as obvious as you'd think from playing in a studio. In a band situation (Dani is a semi-acoustic 3-piece) only a bass-player would spot the difference.

KB1 -v- Classic? For me, that's a no-brainer. They sound identical, but the KB1 is more slender and therefore significantly lighter. Given that the KK's chief attribute is ease of use (IMHO) the only reason for choosing a Classic would be the aesthetic.

One more point though: The experience of playing a KK is nowhere near that of playing a DB, and for me that's chiefly because you can't lean the KK against yourself as you can with a DB. In turn, that means that you can't wrap yourself around it in the same way.

It's still big fun to play, but in a very different way. I tend to hold it upright at about half an arm's-length away from me (it balances surprisingly well), for sustained single notes I can take a half-step away, for swing passages I can sway the KK from side to side or backwards and forwards, etc.

It's really not an orchestral instrument. :lol:

Oh Sarah,
Just because you have funds, doesn't mean you have to spend them! ;)
I pondered one of these too
They'd certainly be more portable than a 3/4

but how would you cope with the changes in intervals / intonation?
Many folk manage, I know - but could be tricky to master both sizes of bass

I think you should play that rather nice Squier Jazz bass you have
.... now that's definitely more portable than your DB :)

Keep us posted on your decision
Marc

Yup - from my perspective [size=2](I'm an absolute beginner on DB, been playing for less than three years, and even that pretty sporadically)[/size] I couldn't hack playing two different sizes of upright bass. The neck on a KK is simply a normal 3/4 DB neck.

Hi Marc - the KK appeals because it has the same scale neck as an upright, although there would undoubtedly be small differences in finger placement - a bit like driving a different car, or sleeping in a different bed. I miss a weekend's practice every month when I visit family and thought if I took a baby bass I could practice quietly and also play along with a friend's daughter who is learning the piano. I also thought it would sound good on latin numbers. And it's supposed to be great build quality. And I miss having two uprights. I tell myself it would be good to have a back up bass if Geraldine was at the menders.

The jazzbass blacktop was bought in a wild rush of exuberant enthusiasm which has not been sustained. I thought it would help me learn scales and I like motown stuff and that's why I bought it. Plus the giddy excitement. It's nice to have but a far cheaper one would have done the job. I don't want to make the same mistake with the baby bass.

Thankyou everyone for your input. The only thing left to do now is actually try one out - I think the element of dance may be the crucial factor here so many thanks to Happy Jack for pointing out how different it would feel.

Edited by sarah thomas

Sarah, my prototype KK baby bass will be going, I gave it a go but it's not really my cup of tea, and, well, I bought another DB yesterday and only have a small studio! It would be a cheap way of doing it given what you've said above
C

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1380750933' post='2230219']
Sarah, my prototype KK baby bass will be going, I gave it a go but it's not really my cup of tea, and, well, I bought another DB yesterday and only have a small studio! It would be a cheap way of doing it given what you've said above
C
[/quote]

....do tell Chris what do you go for in the end ?!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1380700893' post='2228998']
... there is simply no denying that the DB sounds better than the KK under all circumstances, but on the other hand the KK has the DB beaten all hands down on gigging practicality. Manoevering my DB in a gigbag through and then out of The Troubadour last week took me and Bluejay working as a team, plus the cooperation of nearly half the people in the bloody place! ([i]Excuse me ... coming through ... watch that light fitting! ... mind your back please ... was that your foot? ... yes, if you could just move those stools ... oops, I'm sorry, shall I buy you another one?[/i])

[/quote]

Just to add to this, I played The Catch in Shoreditch last night (uber-trendy 20-something place, daaaahling!). Never been there before (I'm not 20-something, daaaahling!) but I knew that parking around there is a nightmare so I took the BabyBass.

I ended up having to dump Bluejay and the BabyBass at the front door while I went off to find parking.

Silvie walked into the entrance carrying the bass only to find that the bands were playing upstairs. That would be the spiral staircase then. :o

My DB is actually considerably bigger than Silvie. The concept of watching her trying to carry a DB up a spiral staircase is so absurd that it's really quite funny.

Final Score:

[size=5][b]DB 0 - 1 KK[/b][/size]