Why become a member? ×

Hi from from Northumberland.

Si-Fi

As the title says.......just want to say hi all. I,ve been playing bass for 25yrs, EUB for last 2, after browsing around here without actually joining i thought i,d make the plunge! I seem constantly drawn to the "basses for sale section" which is very naughty as i have 4 basses which is surely enough? Cheers all.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1380364164' post='2224265']
My wife and I were in Northumberland for a few days a week or so ago, lovely part of the country. I have a Jazz in the basses for sale section, I could have delivered it if I'd known!
[/quote]
Hi Dave, I do believe I have had a look at the bass in question......very nice! cut a long story short I went up to Kelso to buy a Mark bass combo and bought his Warwick corvette LTD as well !! I kept telling myself no..... at that price I just had to.....currently saving.... I shall keep nipping to the basses for sale section.. Hopefully wont be to long. Thanks for the thought.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1380364559' post='2224270']
Hello fellow God's Country resident.. Welcome aboard!

Which bit are you in?
[/quote] Cheers, I,m just down the road from Amble. I just moved back up here last year after being away in Notts for 26yrs! Steve Daggett trio....must come out and have a look, I,ve seen these band names on north east musicians pages and here good things about the sounds, love the fact there is a lot going on up here with live music great stuff, Where along the Geordie Delta are you located? Do you know Shipcote and friends? regards, Simon.

Edited by Si-Fi

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1380367769' post='2224334']
We were staying in Boulmer, so quite close to you. We come to the same place every year or two.
[/quote]
That,s right, it,s just up the way is Boulmer, my brother says the fishing boat inn is very good for food! overlooking the beach, The only time I went in that pub was when me, wor lass and 2 nippers were walking along the beach and handed in a mobile phone we found there....I looked at the phone book on the mobile and rang the number under MUM, her daughter of course answered and said thanks, they were not far away and we handed it in to the Fishing boat inn for collection.....and had a pint! The best move we ever made Dave was moving back up here..

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1380369311' post='2224360']
... In fact I think I'm old enough to be their grandad :blink:
[/quote]

You're old enough to be 'everyone's' Grandad Howie! :lol:

Oh and welcome from a fellow Northumbrian but I am from the fleshpots of Blyth rather than out in the sticks! ;)

...and the correct answer to 'how many basses' is in fact; one more than you presently own!

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1380369311' post='2224360']
Well hello there.

I'll be not too far away from you tonight as it happens. Togston Social Club, North Broomhill - depping with a set of youngsters. In fact I think I'm old enough to be their grandad :blink:
[/quote]
Hello there, sounds interesting, then we may just pop 8ish down for a quick pint, age is but a label ! May well catch up then down Toggy later. Cheers, Simon.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1380369601' post='2224367']
You're old enough to be 'everyone's' Grandad Howie! :lol:

Oh and welcome from a fellow Northumbrian but I am from the fleshpots of Blyth rather than out in the sticks! ;)

...and the correct answer to 'how many basses' is in fact; one more than you presently own!
[/quote]
Thanks for the welcome, "fleshpots of Blyth" my mrs just went uurrgghh, at that description! mind you the old glue factory did have that.....was it glue...actually it was hooves come to think of it! There was a time I thought it was sad that people wanted to have so many or several basses, I would almost be scornful, think why do you need all those, hmmmm. outrageous! what was I thinking!

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1380371464' post='2224392']
If you do turn out be sure you make yourself known by the traditional Basschat heckle of "Get off, you're sh*te".
[/quote]
Chuckle chuckle. My mrs will do that anyway! ;)

[quote name='Si-Fi' timestamp='1380369139' post='2224357']
That,s right, it,s just up the way is Boulmer, my brother says the fishing boat inn is very good for food! overlooking the beach, The only time I went in that pub was when me, wor lass and 2 nippers were walking along the beach and handed in a mobile phone we found there....I looked at the phone book on the mobile and rang the number under MUM, her daughter of course answered and said thanks, they were not far away and we handed it in to the Fishing boat inn for collection.....and had a pint! The best move we ever made Dave was moving back up here..
[/quote]

We were a couple of minutes' walk from the FBI but it seemed to be closed all the time we were there. We have eaten there before, and the seafood was good. This time we spent every evening in the Coach at Lesbury, probably the best food I have eaten anywhere.

You know, normally I'd welcome people. But this!!!
Four basses?

FOUR BASSES?????

For starters, you'd need a Jazz if you play Jazz music or other music.
Then, you can't do without a Bongo if you play African music or other music.
Evidently, a Funkmaster is needed, both for funk and for other music.
Additionally, you can't do without a Precision if you're into precise music or other music.
Obviously, a RockBass ...

The list goes on and on.... 16 different model names at the very least.

Then you need all of those basses in 4-, 5-, 6- and 7-string versions.

Then, you can't do without both fretted and fretless versions of all of them.

Have you ever realised that short scale basses have different overtone spectra, and thus are essential so you don't always have the same timbre?

So the least you're gonna need are 16 times 4 times 2 times 2 basses .... so let's say 150 basses so we also cover EUBs and those acoustic thingies....

For starters!
(Me, I'll have 72 Bongos in a few years. Just watch me...)
;)

Oh, and welcome I guess...
:)

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1380374214' post='2224428']
You know, normally I'd welcome people. But this!!!
Four basses?

FOUR BASSES?????

For starters, you'd need a Jazz if you play Jazz music or other music.
Then, you can't do without a Bongo if you play African music or other music.
Evidently, a Funkmaster is needed, both for funk and for other music.
Additionally, you can't do without a Precision if you're into precise music or other music.
Obviously, a RockBass ...

The list goes on and on.... 16 different model names at the very least.

Then you need all of those basses in 4-, 5-, 6- and 7-string versions.

Then, you can't do without both fretted and fretless versions of all of them.

Have you ever realised that short scale basses have different overtone spectra, and thus are essential so you don't always have the same timbre?

So the least you're gonna need are 16 times 4 times 2 times 2 basses .... so let's say 150 basses so we also cover EUBs and those acoustic thingies....

For starters!
(Me, I'll have 72 Bongos in a few years. Just watch me...)
;)

Oh, and welcome I guess...
:)

best,
bert
[/quote]
Thanks for that Bert, it,s reassuring to know. I have a JV squire jazz but it has a Tokai jazz fretless neck on it!! I found it in a studio and bought it for £70 but it plays so well! I need for a jazz fretted coz I love the sound and the necks....I guess USA, MIM all necks must differ? I,ll have to put this into a different forum for questioning. Hmmm, Dave has one for sale....nice! I played a mates 5 string not long ago, very good....made a note of that, I now realise that I can,t sell what I have to buy....I,d miss them to much, besides, they do get played. Man, Bert, just got to get some more money earned! Cheers.

Just found out that tonights gig is a 'ticket do' so in order to attend there are one or two options:-

1. Offer to buy a ticket at the door.
2. Blag about being a special guest of the band and entitled to special entry price.
3. Agent needing to be there for vetting of the band for future gigs and, again, requiring reduced (or free) entry.
4. Pose as road crew - this would involve you (and presumably Mrs. SF) dressing in baggy combat shorts (regardless of climate), wearing old black T-shirts carrying 'gear' logo (usually Marshall or Zildjian), tool bag/belt (with nothing of any use), a degree of facial hair which does not quite equal a proper beard or 'tach, and of course a pony tail.

Good luck.

H.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1380373720' post='2224422']
We were a couple of minutes' walk from the FBI but it seemed to be closed all the time we were there. We have eaten there before, and the seafood was good. This time we spent every evening in the Coach at Lesbury, probably the best food I have eaten anywhere.
[/quote]
Thinking about it the FBI was being refurbished.....maybe that was the reason. I,ll make note of the Coach at Lesbury for food, Had a listen to you guys on soundcloud, like the sounds Dave.....Fender American Standard Jazz Bass 2008 in Blizzard Pearl !! very good. If I get a good couple of months work under my belt and it,s still there! Cheers.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1380377429' post='2224487']
Just found out that tonights gig is a 'ticket do' so in order to attend there are one or two options:-

1. Offer to buy a ticket at the door.
2. Blag about being a special guest of the band and entitled to special entry price.
3. Agent needing to be there for vetting of the band for future gigs and, again, requiring reduced (or free) entry.
4. Pose as road crew - this would involve you (and presumably Mrs. SF) dressing in baggy combat shorts (regardless of climate), wearing old black T-shirts carrying 'gear' logo (usually Marshall or Zildjian), tool bag/belt (with nothing of any use), a degree of facial hair which does not quite equal a proper beard or 'tach, and of course a pony tail.

Good luck.

H.
[/quote]
Ney bother, options 2,3,4 would be worth trying just for a crack! I,ll go for option 1, I,m sure they can squeeze us in, be rude not to try! It kinda pans out in that the beer is cheap!! Thanks and hope to catch up this eve.

[quote name='Si-Fi' timestamp='1380377547' post='2224490']
Thinking about it the FBI was being refurbished.....maybe that was the reason. I,ll make note of the Coach at Lesbury for food, Had a listen to you guys on soundcloud, like the sounds Dave.....Fender American Standard Jazz Bass 2008 in Blizzard Pearl !! very good. If I get a good couple of months work under my belt and it,s still there! Cheers.
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback, always good to know how our music goes down. I had the same tracks (minus the live version of 'My Dog') on the CD player in the car when we were up there.
I used the 60s classic JB for the recordings, the US Standard has not been played for several months now. If you do go for it, we might be able to come to some sort of agreement re delivery, my wife is always keen to go to Boulmer.

Dave