Why become a member? ×

Precision Neck Experts

NJE

I am after a bit of info on Precision necks and haven't really found my answer anywhere, so I am hoping some precision experts on here can help.

I am after a Precision but I like the big necks found on the 57 and classic 50's precision (and now the new vintage reissue precisions). The twist is I would quite like an older bass with a bit of character and have been looking at vintage instruments. Obviously the original 50's and 60's precisions are really expensive but some of the 70's precisions around are pretty reasonable.

So the question is (finally) do any 70's precision basses have the 'C' width neck like the 57 or are they all narrower A and B profiles?

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1380360457' post='2224198']
I am after a bit of info on Precision necks and haven't really found my answer anywhere, so I am hoping some precision experts on here can help.

I am after a Precision but I like the big necks found on the 57 and classic 50's precision (and now the new vintage reissue precisions). The twist is I would quite like an older bass with a bit of character and have been looking at vintage instruments. Obviously the original 50's and 60's precisions are really expensive but some of the 70's precisions around are pretty reasonable.

So the question is (finally) do any 70's precision basses have the 'C' width neck like the 57 or are they all narrower A and B profiles?
[/quote]

Plenty of '70's Precision basses have C necks, and I have also come across a fair few with a tree trunk neck profile to go along with it, if that is what you are after. The B and C neck profies were more common in the '70's , but the A profile was still the standard width, as far as I know. Late 1990's/ early 2000's USA -made P Basses also had a very wide nut and with a fairly shallow front to back profile, from what I can remember, so maybe finding one of them would be a lower cost option.

Edited by Dingus

'C width' necks referred to by the OP is more likely to relate to the measurement at the nut - 1 3/4" compared to the A width nut of a Jazz - 1 1/2".

In the 70s the Precisions were almost all B width of 1 5/8ths. The profile of C, D, V.... etc relates more to the shape of the neck in one's hands i.e. 'clubby', shallow etc.

Thanks everyone, as has been mentioned what I am basically after is a 44mm nut which I should have perhaps stated. The RoadWorn is high on my list but I was also interested in a vintage instrument as well as the prices of 70's basses seems achievable.

It's good to know some of the 70s basses have the bigger necks, the fatter, deeper, wider the better for me when it comes to necks. I would love a nice 70s if the weight was reasonable and I can get the nut width, I love the 3 tone 70s burst too.

I am sure the Bass Doc is right , and I bow to his superior knowledge of all things Fender :) , but if you look round I am sure you will be able to find the odd 1 3/4 inch nut width 70's Precision . A while ago I helped someone set up a pair of '78/79 Precisions, one with a maple board and one rosewood. Both had the C width , and the rosewood one was massively chunky front to back , whereas the maple one was shallow but wide. It just goes to show how varied Fender necks were at that time. Good luck finding a light one though...

When I look at the prices some 1970's Precisions are going for, considering what they are , I would get a custom build or a new bass instead , but each to their own .

Edited by Dingus

Lo9ok at some of the MIJ CIJ precisions, particularly the 62 reissues. I have a white cij and the neck feels identical [almost] to my 64 original precision. The classic 50s reissue feels very similar.

If I was looking for what you are, I would seriously look at the Japanese made precisions as their quality is very good

The 70s Precision necks are - or at least those I`ve owned and played - very deep, so a chunky handful (oo-er, sounds like a Carry On film). Still thinner at the nut than than the Classic 50s or Road-Worns, though these aren`t so deep. As such, 70s ones and these have a fairly same-ish type feel, or at least they did to me, not had a Road Worn but have had a Classic 50s.

I know it`s nice to have an older instrument with a bit of mojo, but if you like the feel of the big chunky necks, I`d check out the Road Worns. Not a fan personally of fake relicing, but these basses are amazing, they just play so well.