Why become a member? ×

Laney Nexus NX410 4x10"

Delberthot

I thought I'd give this one time before I posted a review.

I have used this cab with the same bass (Fender FSR Precision Special Deluxe Immaculate Conception EMGs etc) but with 3 different amps.

The first was with my most trusted of brands, a Gallien Krueger 1001RB II. Sounded a bit meh compared the the punchy goodnes that I am used to with GK

The second was with an Ampeg PF500 which sounded quite dirty in the right environment but downright muddy in the wrong one. Plus it cut out on the second last song at a marquee gig where I was providing all the bass with no PA support cos it overheated.

The third is my idea of the holy trinity, not that at I am a religious man.

I currently have a Hartke LH1000 and am running it in bridge mode which is 750w at 8ohms.

Last week I played another marquee gig in similar circumstances to the Ampeg and I had the volume on 5. The speakers didn't look like they were moving at all and I could have gone a lot louder.

This cab will put out what you put into it. If you put a big dirty Ampeg into it then big dirty Ampeg is what you will get but use the right amp, in my case the LH1000, then it will go silly loud. Before that gig I was ready to buy an SFX Thumpinator to rid myself of all the volume robbing ultra low frequencies but after that gig, I no longer need one.

I've just realised that this review has no structure so I will go back to the start and tell you this:

This cab is made of marine grade plywood, weighs 27kgs and has 4 Celestion Neos.

This gives you something that is more solid than the usual MDF or chipboard mass produced cabs, is 10kgs lighter than an Ashdown 4x10" - don't get me started on Peavey or Ampeg and still sounds clear as a bell.

I was going to get a second one but I simply don't need one - in fact I played a gig a couple of weeks ago in a small pub where my cab was right against the back and side walls of the venue. It was so loud that not only did I end up with plaster dust on top of the amp from the ceiling but every note I played, it felt like my brain was vibrating.

I will add more as I play

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've really liked every modern Laney amp I've played through. The amps are loud and clear and sound a LOT more expensive than their price tag suggests. I've owned, Ashdown ABM, TC Electronic and Barefaced cabs and amps and I'd have no problem playing through a Laney.

I gigged a Laney rig which I borrowed from my good mate Mick (RIP) and it was a great setup. I'm not sure of the model numbers (it's not a Trace you see) but it was the 300w head (RB9?) with the graphic EQ and compressor coupled with the Celestion loaded 4x10 and the compact size 1x15 on the bottom. The rig was loud, clear, punchy and distortion free. It did everything I asked of it and quickly found my sound without fuss or issue. Great!

Another guy I knew (played in a band with my step dad years ago) had an old BC120 combo which was knackered and flapped uncontrollably at the sign of any low frequency action. In it's defence, I don't think there was an isssue with the amp itself rather the speaker was fried. He traded this for a Torque 200w 1x15 in the end.

I have no problem with Laney bass although I do think it does get overlooked as it's not particularly fashionable which is a shame because IME, it's great stuff. I love the look of the Nexxus stuff, especially the big 400w head but a guy who's done 3 bass gigs in 7 months, I can't justify another expensive box with glowing glass things inside.