Why become a member? ×

Best way to take a picture of a neck profile.

ZenBasses

Hey peeps.

Got a nice chap who wants a picture of the profile of the neck on a bass I'm selling.

So he can determine whether the c shape is shallow or deep etc etc.

Been trying to shoot this for a bit and not really happy..

What would you guys and gals recommend is the best angle to get as best a representation as possible?

Cheers :)

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1380120315' post='2221104']
Make an imprint into something perhaps?
[/quote]

Maybe cut a bit of cardboard and put some measurements on?

Probably two bits, one for the back, one for the fingerboard and that way you'll get your depth measurement.

Or as Chris suggested, tell 'im to get stuffed! :lol:

[quote name='ZenBasses' timestamp='1380124790' post='2221205']

Thought it was to get a picture on me gripping the neck. Best way to show the profile I guess Crappy photos meh [/quote]

This one probably shows it best of the 3 you've got on there: [url="https://www.dropbox.com/s/ojp8kphkjfsbc9i/20130925_163545.jpg"]https://www.dropbox.com/s/ojp8kphkjfsbc9i/20130925_163545.jpg[/url]

It's tricky to show but the shape of your hand in this one kinda does the job for me?

[quote name='ZenBasses' timestamp='1380129465' post='2221294']
And what shape would people say it is.

I am useless at this kinda thing but a shallow c shape fits the description for me.

Thanks guys

My other method included cling film and a block of butter
[/quote]

Shallow c would work for me too matey...

Don't know if it's a good idea, but I was thinking of a thingie that exists both as a serious tool and as a toy:
A whole bunch of needles rest tightly against each other in a frame that they stick out from. These things can be placed on objects, and they'll then copy its profile, after which a picture of the needles taken from the side will show the profile in all its glory (in this case).

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1380140585' post='2221519']
Don't know if it's a good idea, but I was thinking of a thingie that exists both as a serious tool and as a toy:
A whole bunch of needles rest tightly against each other in a frame that they stick out from. These things can be placed on objects, and they'll then copy its profile, after which a picture of the needles taken from the side will show the profile in all its glory (in this case).
[/quote]

Krysh's post above matey?
...and it's a cracking idea ;)

Edited by andydye

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1380123508' post='2221183']
[b] [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-151221-Profile-Gauge/dp/B000LFRRLO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1380123417&sr=8-8&keywords=contour+gauge"]Profile Gauge [/url][/b]
[/quote]

I was going to say to saw the headstock off, take a picture, then glue it back on. But your suggestion is better.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1380141462' post='2221537']
Ah! Overlooked that one. Thanks for the heads up and for teaching me a new word or two. :)
[/quote]

You're most welcome matey :thank_you: :lol:

Not often I get observant like that, must put it in the diary :blush: