Why become a member? ×

Motley Crue/Shout At The Devil

NancyJohnson

All of the first 5 Crue albums are top listens (although Girls, Girls, Girls is my personal favourite) Granted, they are not particularly high brow but that wasn't the point. I was a big glam metal fan back in the day and loved the stuff that was tongue in cheek and of the moment rather than trying to be stuff it wasn't. But saying that, i probably only still listen to Crue, Cinderella, Firehouse and Poison occasionally. Haven't listened to LA Guns, Hanoi Rocks, Ratt, Winger, Warrant etc for a couple of decades!
Just take it for what it is and be transported back to the early 80s...

I'm 20 and have been into Crue and Saxon since my early teens, they still both have a following among 'the youth'. Listen to them with tongue firmly in cheek and they are fun with a capital F, something that is harder and harder to find nowadays. Great riffs as well.

I agree with the consensus of the thread, TFFL and SATD are classics, but apart from two or three tracks I think Theatre Of Pain is one of the worst albums ever made by a mainstream artist. Heroin/coke speedballs, having your lead singer charged with manslaughter and rushed songwriting don't bode well for a great album.

Edited by Jupiter

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1380170084' post='2221732']
You've obviously never heard Come out and play by Twisted Sister or The Last Command by WASP :D
[/quote]

The Last Command is a GREAT album (and Theatre of Pain for that matter). Maybe you were thinking of The Headless Cross by Black Sabbath, The Spaghetti Incident by GnR, Don't Stop by Status Quo or maybe Tattoed Beat Messiah by Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction...? :P

Edited by randythoades

All right I'll let you off The Last Command but only because it's got Blind in Texas on it and the only solo you could ever be bothered to learn properly :) - I'll revert to Saxon bashing (even though I think they're generally great) and pick out Rock the Nations, an album so bland and generically crap I can't even recommend a track off it that reaches mediocrity. What on earth possessed them to do a duet with Elton John (well famed for his Heavy Metal credentials tho he is!) is beyond me.

Fun Fun Fun by Quo was late nineties so doesn't qualify - Quo were too stoned in the mid eighties to find the toilet let alone their guitars and spent the whole time fighting with each other. Might have been better of they'd stayed there for the nineties and noughties as well.... :)

Anyway Theatre of Pain isn't Crue's best but I still like it.

Edited by BobVbass

[color=#b22222]All right I'll let you off The Last Command but only because it's got Blind in Texas on it and the only solo you could ever be bothered to learn properly :) [/color]

Harsh, but true! There are some other good songs on it, although to be fair, the names of them escape me!!! Ballcrusher...was that one?

[color=#b22222]Fun Fun Fun by Quo was late nineties so doesn't qualify - [/color]
Fun Fun Fun was the single off the album Don't Stop, including the other mega rock hits like "I Can Hear the Grass Grow..."

[color=#b22222]Anyway Theatre of Pain isn't Crue's best but I still like it.[/color]
Same here. Prefer SATD and Girls Girls Girls.

More candidates for worst heavy metal album: Manowar (Fighting the World), Tankard (The Morning After), Judas Priest (Ram It Down). All albums which I adored at the time but were pretty terrible when you look back on them!

Edit: Just going through my mp3 collection, I think you can probably add Tigertailz (Beserk) onto that list too...

Edited by randythoades

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1380182830' post='2221830']
Nothing wrong with Come out and Play.

I had the pop up cover version :D

[/quote]

I still have it ;)

[quote name='randythoades' timestamp='1380183564' post='2221839']
More candidates for worst heavy metal album: Manowar (Fighting the World), [s]Tankard (The Morning After),[/s] Judas Priest (Ram It Down). All albums which I adored at the time but were pretty terrible when you look back on them!
[/quote]

and I have those too, all on CD and vinyl! :D \m/ \m/

Edited by Chest Rockwell

[quote][color=#B22222][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]All right I'll let you off The Last Command but only because it's got Blind in Texas on it and the only solo you could ever be bothered to learn properly [/font][/color] :)[color=#B22222][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Harsh, but true! There are some other good songs on it, although to be fair, the names of them escape me!!! Ballcrusher...was that one?[/font][/color][/quote]

Wildchild - Album version with Jungle noises in the middle! What the hell was that about ? :D

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Nothing wrong with Come out and Play.[/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]

I had the pop up cover version :D
[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I still have it [/font][/color] ;)[/quote]

Ha! me too and cough...all the others mentioned :D

What about Mammoth - they were really bad (and really fat :D)

Great topic for bringing back those memories. Dusted down my mp3s here at work. Been a bit quiet with customers so I have forgone my normal blues and country fare and so far have listened to Nelson (remember them?), Queensryche, Great White and Bang Tango! Did try to get though Twisted Sister Greatest Hits but only managed on song (We're Not Gonna Take It) before I turned it off... too painful. :gas:

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Twisted Sister Greatest Hits[/font][/color][/quote]

that's one of those single sided floppy disks anyway isn't it? Oh no wait! there was "I am (I'm me)" as well - phew, proper double sided single then...:)

You'll be digging Dokken and Poison out next :D

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1380189406' post='2221977']
that's one of those single sided floppy disks anyway isn't it? Oh no wait! there was "I am (I'm me)" as well - phew, proper double sided single then... :)

You'll be digging Dokken and Poison out next :D
[/quote]

Dokken, forgot about them! Beast from the East!!
Poison are still cool. Look What The Cat Dragged in is a classic (in the Surrey area anyway)

I will confess to having Manowar Fighting the World in CD, cassette and vinyl version (plus a funny coloured vinyl thing too)... SAD

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I suppose. Still cringeworthy though... One of your favourites if I remember correctly? It figures.... [/font][/color][/quote]

well to paraphrase the audience participation in "Wee Wee Baby" - B*ll*x! :D You wouldn't understand - they were a proper bikers band - not for [i]Harley[/i] riders :) - I seem to remember having a CG125 at the time though actually :D

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Warrant. Cinderella. White Lion. Stryper. Great White. Brittany Fox.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Had 'em all [/font][/color] :D[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][/quote]

Cinderella were brilliant - still listen to them now and Gypsy Road is still one of my favourite songs of the time.

Waysted were great too - Save your Prayers is an excellent album.

So what about Magnum? Not sure they've aged very well.... :(

In terms of Britny Fox Dean Davidson is releasing a singer songwriter album this autumn and it's really good :blink:

I kind of liked Bang Tango (I wouldn't YouTube them now as it is an alcoholic shambles). Guitarist Mark Knight is doing some interesting solo stuff these days though.

From these sorts of bands I really liked Faster Pussycat and LA Guns. Mickey Finn from Jetboy is doing some cool Psychobilly stuff with the guys from The Zeros (Cold Blue Rebels).

My favourites always were the brits - love (& still do) Dogs D'Amour and Quireboys.