Why become a member? ×

reaper numptiness

lurksalot

Help from a set up viewpoint please ,
I have a new computer which works really quickly and is marvelous in a lot of respects , but , as I am using it for my reaper I am trying to load in the VSTs that I have been using inc the Kmeter which I need .

I can download the VSTs but a quick search points the location as kevins / appdata /reaper plugins , what I need to know is who the f**k is Kevin .......no

what I need to know is how do I find the location it is not appearing on the drop down lists of places I can go , and if I paste the address into the unzip machine for the download it doesnt like it . DOH

I know its simple but I can't remember what I did on't other machine

thanks in anticipation

Hey Lurks. To clarify: you're downloading the VSTs and then can't locate them on your computer once installed?

Only thing I can think of is to run a search on one of the VST names which should locate the folder they're installed in.

Yeah, I know, that's probably a numpty answer! I run a Mac and Reaper isn't my main DAW... so I'm a bit thin on advice for this.

51m0n or another Reaper guru will probably be along to help - if not fire him a PM.

I downloaded the VST but dont know where to put them to install them
it wouldn't let me access the place where the standard reaper plug ins are , but I had an idea , ............

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I know its simple but I can't remember what I did on't other machine [/quote][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I had a look at the other machine and will try something else , thanks for the thought , I will add a reply or find a bangs head emoticon :rolleyes:[/font][/color]

I use Reaper on Windows 7 64 bit:)

C:\Program Files\VstPlugins is where the 64 bit plugins are installed by default.
C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins are where the 32 bit plugins are installed by default.

I'd highly recommend sticking to these locations.

Now, in Reaper go to Options > Preferences (or hit control-p).

Now scroll down the list to almost near the bottom and look for the Plugins section. Click on VST.

Hitting Auto-detect at the top right should sort it out for you, or you can click add and select both of the folders I mentioned above.

Then click re-scan, then OK and you should have your plugins available.

I think that your appdata folder is where Reaper puts its own plugins but I'm not sure as I don't have a reaper plugins folder in there on mine - maybe you're on a different version of Windows to me.

What I suggest, is that you do a search for all of your VST plugins and copy then into the 32 bit folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins and then follow the steps in Reaper to add that folder.

Give us a shout if it doesn't work :)

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1379617109' post='2214967']
[size=4]C:\Program Files\VstPlugins is where the 64 bit plugins are installed by default.[/size]
C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins are where the 32 bit plugins are installed by default.

I'd highly recommend sticking to these locations.

[/quote]

It's worth a mention that sometimes...
If a VST or VSTi has an installer, it will sometimes use or create a folder called Steinberg.

So it would be...
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins (for 64 bit)

Then direct your DAW to that folder as well as \VstPlugins, and scan/re-scan both folders.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

One will be 32 bit version plugs (x86) the other of course x64 versions.

Some Vsts/Vsti's install a Vst3 version as well.
If Reaper can handle VST3's, they will be in .....
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]C:\Program Files\[b]Commonfiles[/b]\Vst3\ (for 64 bit)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]C:\Program Files(x86)\[b]Commonfiles[/b]\Vst3\ (for 32 bit)[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]But a DAW that can handle Vst3, usually locates the Vst3 folders/files automatically.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=4]Garry[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by lowdown

I think that technically, they can work from whatever location they're stored in so long as you tell Reaper where they are. The default directories are a good place to keep them all as this is where new ones will be installed by default and you can back up just these two folders. But it's fine to have them elsewhere, there's just a risk of forgetting where and losing them, or not installing another DAW and missing out on having them.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1379621530' post='2215044']
or not installing another DAW
[/quote]

word , :lol: no chance of using anything else TBH, I have had sooooo much pain getting to grips with DAW , I am a reaper man forever , I generally get it and seeing the results others get, it is certainly waaayyy beyond my skills and I know I have the kit to develop my skills , I just need more and more practice at it .

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1379627364' post='2215134']
word , :lol: no chance of using anything else TBH, I have had sooooo much pain getting to grips with DAW , I am a reaper man forever , I generally get it and seeing the results others get, it is certainly waaayyy beyond my skills and I know I have the kit to develop my skills , I just need more and more practice at it .
[/quote]

There's pretty much nothing it can't do and it can be customised to hell. Plus it's cheap as chips and makes you wonder whether the other DAW developers are spending too much time on their yachts instead of developing and bug-fixing their software. I bought a licence recently - totally worth it.

Where ever you ended up putting the vst when it was 'installed' (hey they are just dll library files, they dont really need an installation per se), just point Reaper at that folder and you're golden, you dont need a seperate area for 32 bit and 64 bit VSTs either. Personally I have a seperate folder for VST and VSTi since it makes searching for stuff easier.

Also in Reaper you can get it to show the directory structure in the list of FX which can really make finding the cool nifty new patented [i]TALENT_ENHANCER[/i] plugin much easier to find!

Most freebies (not all) are usually just .dll files that don't need registration, and they can be dragged and dropped anywhere you want,
but on a lot of 3rd party VST/VSTi's that come with libraries and presets,
the .dll will only install from the original disc. [size=4]Mainly because you have to do the serial number/challenge and response/iLok thing before it will go any further[/size]
[size=4]Or in the case of Native Instruments, the service centre thing.[/size]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZfT2T1wRzo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZfT2T1wRzo[/url]

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1379667309' post='2215378']
Mans got keep some secrets baby :D
[/quote]

Secrets..? What secrets..? I've had my TALENT_ENHANCER (TE...) for ages. Doesn't everyone use them these days..? I may have some questions on how to optimise it, however, as the results are far from convincing, for the moment. Maybe I should have installed the BASIC_TALENT (BT...) first..? :mellow: