Why become a member? ×

Sweaty hands!!!

Well,

I have the sweaty-est hands known to man and I go through strings like nobody's business! After a gig, the next day they are corroding and within a week the sound has gone. I've been recently using Elixer (Nano coated doofers) which are supposed to last for ages (£30 a set!) but they are lasting about 3 weeks before they deteriorate.

Is this the norm or am I an alien? Any (useful!) suggestions would be great! Also if a string manufacturer would like to experiment on me - bring it on! :)

Si.

I have very sweaty hands, especially bad during summer gigs and under stage lights. I carry a cloth in my gig bag which I use to rub down my strings after practices and shows. I have found that my strings will last for months if I take the time to give them a quick buffing after play.

Well recommended, and much cheaper than constant restringing :)

[quote name='peted' post='219911' date='Jun 16 2008, 03:03 PM']I have very sweaty hands, especially bad during summer gigs and under stage lights. I carry a cloth in my gig bag which I use to rub down my strings after practices and shows. I have found that my strings will last for months if I take the time to give them a quick buffing after play.

Well recommended, and much cheaper than constant restringing :)[/quote]

I see, I do give them a quick wipe but I guess it's not enough. I'll try a more rigorours cleaning.
Cheers.

+1 to peted

I have a similar problem. A cloth in the guitar case and just before I put my guitar back in the case a quick wipe down the strings (and also under the strings). 10 seconds is all it takes.

With non-coated strings (i.e. not Elixirs) I would sparingly used a string cleaner occasionally which also helped.

I change my strings every 6 years or so so I assume I don't sweat at all.

I guess my mother never told me I was an android.

Thinking about it, tho', I guess that, because I play COOOOOOOOL jazz, I wouldn't sweat, would I? That and the root vegetable therapy :)

Edited by bilbo230763

Dry hands don't filth up the strings so quick , and stop your fingers getting sore.

so..

:) have a towel hanging from your mic stand and use it

:huh: wear sporty wrist bands

:huh: wear less clothing when you play to keep your body temp down

Bit of prevention for you to go with the cures that others have offered.

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='219958' date='Jun 16 2008, 03:59 PM']Dry hands don't filth up the strings so quick , and stop your fingers getting sore.

so..

:) have a towel hanging from your mic stand and use it

:huh: wear sporty wrist bands

:huh: wear less clothing when you play to keep your body temp down

Bit of prevention for you to go with the cures that others have offered.[/quote]

Hmmm, getting a few good tips here. I have been using the same beer towel to wipe my strings for a couple of years now so maybe it needs substituting for a clean one from the next gig! Nice to know I'm not the only one with sewaty hands. Just for the record, not that I'm developing a complex, but the rest of me is not sweaty!!! :huh:

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='219958' date='Jun 16 2008, 03:59 PM']:) wear sporty wrist bands

:huh: wear less clothing when you play to keep your body temp down[/quote]

Erm, get a dodgy perm, leopard skin lycra pants (some ones with piano keys down the legs for the keyboardist) and you have a soft rock band......

[quote name='Huggy and the Bears' post='219962' date='Jun 16 2008, 04:02 PM']I have been using the same beer towel to wipe my strings for a couple of years now so maybe it needs substituting for a clean one from the next gig![/quote]
I always sneak mine into the magic basket with all the shirts etc. Next time I see it its fresh & clean. I don't think wiping the strings down with a manky towel will actually help if it doesn;t ever get washed. I use a microfibre cloth for the strings and the bar towel for my hands.

I dont know if this is the cause,but a bass player i got chatting to at a gig years ago,we both had Wal's at the time,was telling me how he had to have all his tuners replaced because,as he put it,the acid from his hands had corroded the plating,and this had happened in a very short time.

[quote name='Huggy and the Bears' post='219903' date='Jun 16 2008, 02:57 PM']Well,

I have the sweaty-est hands known to man and I go through strings like nobody's business! After a gig, the next day they are corroding and within a week the sound has gone. I've been recently using Elixer (Nano coated doofers) which are supposed to last for ages (£30 a set!) but they are lasting about 3 weeks before they deteriorate.

Is this the norm or am I an alien? Any (useful!) suggestions would be great! Also if a string manufacturer would like to experiment on me - bring it on! :)

Si.[/quote]

buy two sets of strings
when the first ones go dead, replace them (obviously :huh: ).... then soak the dead ones in methylated spirits for 24 hrs, allow to dry and should sound as good as new, as the meths takes out all the oil that has accumulated in your string from your sweaty hands
then repeat process when they go dead....and so on and so on

i dont get sweaty hands but i sweat like a mother in all other bodily regions when i play, even when its nothing challenging. just a dirty biatch i guess. and the dirt very much keeps the funk! i leave strings as long as possible to get that tone.

Edited by sam88

[quote name='sam88' post='220302' date='Jun 16 2008, 11:38 PM']i dont get sweaty hands but i sweat like a mother in all other bodily regions when i play, even when its nothing challenging. just a dirty biatch i guess. and the dirt very much keeps the funk! i leave strings as long as possible to get that tone.[/quote]

Some old boy told me to boil my strings and re-use them. I tried a modern day version by sticking them in the dishwasher (yep I removed them from my bass first!) but whilst it removed the dirt, it didnt fix the corrosion. The comment (above) about the acid attack of the metal is what my problem is I think because over the yeras even my CD collection has deteriorated through corrosion from where I have handled them on the edges.

I guess that string manufacturers don't wan't to find a solution as I must be their best customer! :)

The hotter, the sweatier, the better for me....I love being in a hot steaming sweaty gig, what I hate is our singer likes to use a fan and if I go anywhere near it it dries my hands out completley which is really annoying. If I had corrosive sweat I'd sweat all over my basses and get 'em all mojo'd in no time....bottle it and sell it as relic sweat!

[quote name='Jase' post='220615' date='Jun 17 2008, 02:36 PM']The hotter, the sweatier, the better for me....I love being in a hot steaming sweaty gig, what I hate is our singer likes to use a fan and if I go anywhere near it it dries my hands out completley which is really annoying. If I had corrosive sweat I'd sweat all over my basses and get 'em all mojo'd in no time....bottle it and sell it as relic sweat![/quote]

Hey i can mojo anything overnight! thats the coolest suggestion I've ever had. Send me your gear guys and I'll have it relicked in no time! I'll throw in a set of string for free! :)

[quote name='Huggy and the Bears' post='220625' date='Jun 17 2008, 02:43 PM']Hey i can mojo anything overnight! thats the coolest suggestion I've ever had. Send me your gear guys and I'll have it relicked in no time! I'll throw in a set of string for free! :)[/quote]

Are you serious about corrosive sweat????? I'd love my machine heads done and my control plate on my jazz basses :huh:

[quote name='Jase' post='220627' date='Jun 17 2008, 02:45 PM']Are you serious about corrosive sweat????? I'd love my machine heads done and my control plate on my jazz basses :huh:[/quote]

Yep, i have to be really carefull about touching metal! I have never put my (talent??) to a positive use but this could be a cool new way of utilising my talent! I might get a couple of components and experiment with them. This could be a new line in organic ageing of guitars. I reckon we could set up a business from it! What d'ya reckon? :huh: :)

Edited by Huggy and the Bears

[quote name='Huggy and the Bears' post='220687' date='Jun 17 2008, 03:51 PM']Yep, i have to be really carefull about touching metal! I have never put my (talent??) to a positive use but this could be a cool new way of utilising my talent! I might get a couple of components and experiment with them. This could be a new line in organic ageing of guitars. I reckon we could set up a business from it! What d'ya reckon? :huh: :)[/quote]

New Elixers fitted. lets see how long they last, applying all of the techniques I have gleened from the gurus! :huh: