Why become a member? ×

changing the electronics in my Esh *Help Req'*

artisan

I have an Esh Various 4 which i was thinking of selling,mainly because I'm not keen on the electronics but have been thinking that as I may be better getting my bass modded as I love the rest of it to bits.
I has 2 EMG active J pickups & a Schaller 2000 piezo bridge,both of which I am very happy with.
the other controls are - volume,tone,pickup selector & Eshtronic control -(mag pup bypassing everything/mag pups only/mag & piezo/piezo only)
I'm not to keen on this setup really so am thinking of having it altered to suit me better,what I would like is -
volume/mag pickup blend/3 band active e'q' & a blend for the piezo's too.
I would also like to be able to run just the piezo's as they give a lovely deep mellow tone when used alone.

I know bugger all about bass electronics so have no idea what to use or who can do this for me plus I don't want any extra holes drilled in my beautiful woodwork.
any suggestions guys ?

here's a pick of my bass for reference-
[url="http://s88.photobucket.com/user/artisan1967/media/P1000266_zpsb29df05f.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by artisan

Sorry I've been a little slow in responding.
I've been thinking about it..

How about...

Concentric magnetic volume/pan
Concentric bass/treble
Concentric mid/mid frequency sweep
Piezo volume.

7 controls in 4 holes. No drilling required, and as versatile a set-up as I can conceive. It allows you to totally exclude the EMGs and just run the piezo, too.

Possible catches? Does the piezo currently run through the pre-amp controls? A buffer circuit may be needed because of high impedance.
Certainly not a job which is beyond a good luthier or competent tech. There may even be someone on here local to you that could help or even do it.

Add for systems, check out EMG, Bartolini, East, and Audere for starters, depending upon what's already in the instrument.
Cost (and it's a liberal guess) about £350 fitted. Maximum. You might get in much cheaper, but I reckon it'll be about £200 in parts and a couple of hours' labour.

Hope that provides a starting point.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1378690051' post='2203307']
Sorry I've been a little slow in responding.
I've been thinking about it..

How about...

Concentric magnetic volume/pan
Concentric bass/treble
Concentric mid/mid frequency sweep
Piezo volume.

7 controls in 4 holes. No drilling required, and as versatile a set-up as I can conceive. It allows you to totally exclude the EMGs and just run the piezo, too.

Possible catches? Does the piezo currently run through the pre-amp controls? A buffer circuit may be needed because of high impedance.
Certainly not a job which is beyond a good luthier or competent tech. There may even be someone on here local to you that could help or even do it.

Add for systems, check out EMG, Bartolini, East, and Audere for starters, depending upon what's already in the instrument.
Cost (and it's a liberal guess) about £350 fitted. Maximum. You might get in much cheaper, but I reckon it'll be about £200 in parts and a couple of hours' labour.

Hope that provides a starting point.
[/quote]
awesome reply,many thanks your suggested setup sounds just what i'm wanting & would make my bass perfect.
the bass has a seperate piezo for each string,but i have no idea how they are wired up,i just play it & know nowt about electrics :blush:
Jim Fleeting is not too far away from me so i'll give him a shout.
many thanks

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1378708937' post='2203343']
Keep us posted. As an Esh owner I'm interested to se how you get on.

Note: I want your guitar :)
[/quote]
pretty isn't it :)
Just not keen on the controls,i find them very limiting,what possesed them to fit a pickup selector instead of a blend for instance.
It has been up for sale for a while but as i really like the bass i though why not just alter it to suit me rather than sell it & buy something else.

LukeFRC thans for suggesting John East i will contact him & see what he suggests
cheers

That's a tricky one that only you can decide. Are you sure you can't get used to the existing system? The tones as well as looks must have won you over in the first place so they must be in there. From memory I have only really use 2 of the Eshtronic settings and its then simple to find my way from there.
There is nothing worse than fiddling around so I see exactly where your coming from

Edited by Pinball

Well i had a play through my Fishman pro platinum preamp earlier tonight with both my Esh & my old passive Aria & decided that i am maybee a passive bass bloke.
After much messing around i realised that i was basically trying to make my active Esh sound like a passive bass which is not going to happen,so i think its time to move the Esh on & get a passive bass instead.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' timestamp='1379363637' post='2211878']
Ahhh just read the above! Haha silly me!

:)
[/quote]
lol,hi Chris thanks for the offer,you never know with me i may stil do it but i will get over to see you when i can as i would love to have a look around & try one of your bssses they look really nice.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1379363060' post='2211866']
Well i had a play through my Fishman pro platinum preamp earlier tonight with both my Esh & my old passive Aria & decided that i am maybee a passive bass bloke.
After much messing around i realised that i was basically trying to make my active Esh sound like a passive bass which is not going to happen,so i think its time to move the Esh on & get a passive bass instead.
[/quote]

I was going to say it could be the pups more than the preamp. My warwick used to have active MEC pups (supposedly Warwick's copy of EMG) and I couldn't stand them. But if you love the passive tone you'll possibly not be happy till you get a passive bass.

of course because its a nice bass :)[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1379527254' post='2213769']
Still in a quandry over this,i'm sat here playing the bass through my cube 30 practice amp & with a little amp control tweeking i have a really nice tone from it.
Mmmmmm might still do it :)
[/quote]

No surprise, its a quality instrument and a nice bass.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1379527532' post='2213776']
of course because its a nice bass :)

No surprise, its a quality instrument and a nice bass.
[/quote]
why thank you :)
I've just ordered my custom pre from John East which is getting fitted by Alpher instruments,cool can't wait to hear it.
I'm really pleased my bass didn't sell as it is bloody lovely but quite what possessed Esh to fit their wierd preamp system is beyond me.
But alas i will soon have a bass where the quality of the electrics matches the quality of the bass,just as it should have been all along.