Why become a member? ×

Rack tuner advice

The acknowledged best rack tuner is the [url="http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=73"]Peterson Stroborack[/url], but that is normally a bit pricey for most.

Have a look at one of the Korg tuners either the [url="http://korg.co.uk/products/tuners/dtr1000/tu_dtr1000.asp"]DTR 1000[/url] or the [url="http://korg.co.uk/products/tuners/dtr2000/tu_dtr2000.asp"]DRT 2000[/url].

Don't bother with the Behringer one it's useless for bass.

If you're not in a great hurry I'm about to replace my Korg DTR2 (previous version of the DTR 1000) with a Peterson Stroborack so I'll be selling that nice and cheap.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='219150' date='Jun 15 2008, 11:21 AM']The acknowledged best rack tuner is the [url="http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=73"]Peterson Stroborack[/url], but that is normally a bit pricey for most.

Have a look at one of the Korg tuners either the [url="http://korg.co.uk/products/tuners/dtr1000/tu_dtr1000.asp"]DTR 1000[/url] or the [url="http://korg.co.uk/products/tuners/dtr2000/tu_dtr2000.asp"]DRT 2000[/url].

Don't bother with the Behringer one it's useless for bass.

If you're not in a great hurry I'm about to replace my Korg DTR2 (previous version of the DTR 1000) with a Peterson Stroborack so I'll be selling that nice and cheap.[/quote]

Cool how much would you be looking for?

I have looked into the behringer heard its not worth the plastic its made from.

[quote name='molan' post='219186' date='Jun 15 2008, 12:55 PM']What are the differences between the DTR1000 & 2000?[/quote]

The DTR 2000 has a built-in mic, and a light for illuminating the rest of your rack, two inputs and some extra display options and tuning modes.
Check the specs on the korg pages.

The DTR 1000 will probably do everything most bassists want and if it doesn't you're probably headed into Perterson territory

BTW waynepunkdude you have a PM.

Edited by BigRedX

• 3 months later...

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='295250' date='Sep 30 2008, 11:19 AM']I bought the Behringer I don't know why, I'm so stupid.

I can't really afford a Korg but I want something with a lot better response, is there any middle ground?[/quote]

In rack tuner territory, there isn't a great deal to choose from.

I've got the Peterson Stroborack... which is fantastic, but as stated before, probably excessive for the needs of most bassists. It does track unbelievable well and useful for all those setups etc. And the scrolly message is kinda cute.

The Korgs - pretty much the standard rack hog that everybody uses. They track OK - the earlier models are known for being tone suckers.

RT1000 - Fenders latest effort. I believe it is the same as the SWR one. They track OK.

Then there are Sabine and Behringer. Cheapish. Cheerful. You know the score.

Sadly, this is one of the areas that you get what you pay for so it may pay to keep your eyes open.

What I have noticed that if you plug into the tuner directly and then feed that out to your amp, your tone gets a little lost on the way... the Peterson is the exception on that front. Again, you get what you pay for.

If you really want a good tuner, budget is tight, keep an eye on the used market or don't go rack. The Strobostomp is just as good as the rack version but not as expensive - and they do come up on eBay. The new Korg pedal stuff - again, great. The time tested TU-2 is a good call. Takes a little of the tops off your bass, but in a gig situation, nobody would notice.

But then again, there is something cool about having flashing lights behind you in the rack.

Best of luck finding your tuner dude.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='295279' date='Sep 30 2008, 11:40 AM'].....What I have noticed that if you plug into the tuner directly and then feed that out to your amp, your tone gets a little lost on the way... the Peterson is the exception on that front. .....The time tested TU-2 is a good call. Takes a little of the tops off your bass, but in a gig situation, nobody would notice.[/quote]

Well FWIW if anyone is looking for a tuner: If a Behringer takes top off, it is a major tone suck problem; if a Boss/Peterson/Korg takes top end off, nobody would notice during a gig.

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='295387' date='Sep 30 2008, 01:42 PM']Well FWIW if anyone is looking for a tuner: If a Behringer takes top off, it is a major tone suck problem; if a Boss/Peterson/Korg takes top end off, nobody would notice during a gig.[/quote]

Everybody always assumes that nobody uses their gear for recording... you can get away with leaving some tuners in the chain, some you can't.

The Behringer tone suck doesn't bother me. It's the inability to track, the delay and the complete ignorance of a bottom B.

• 3 months later...

Snap - Behringer works ok on 4 strings but useless on my 5 string. Occasionally works on the harmonic but not very often. I will change for a Korg when a 2nd hand one turns up at the right price.

On the plus side the blue light on the Behringer is fantastic and makes my Aguilar amp look very sexy!

[quote name='jim_bass' post='400468' date='Feb 4 2009, 09:54 PM']I bought the behringer one and just manage with it, but I don't play a 5-string. I just play the 12th harmonic on my E if the tuner is having a bad day ;)[/quote]