Why become a member? ×

Fender Mustangs - any good?

nottswarwick

I have Thomastik TI JF324s on my CIJ mustang. It sounds more like my precisons than any of my other no P-pickuped basses probably due to the split pickup. Lots of punch, maybe slightly darker in its tone than my 1990 MIJ precision with JF344s. If you like light low tension flexible flatwounds that feel and sound wonderful, JF324s are ideal for the mustang.

Edited by Junkyard Rocket

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1378118038' post='2195850']
Absolutely love my Pawn shop edition, it's definitely got that p bass vibe but I love the super thumpy nature of a shortscale bass with flats.
[/quote]

I had flats on mine but found it way too thumpy. I now have a set of GHS rounds on it and this has improved the sound for me. They are one of the coolest looking basses around imo.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1378062148' post='2195386']
I'm strangely tempted towards a Classic Series Mustang.

Do they sound like a P bass, and can you get short scale decent flats for them?
[/quote]

I know this is slightly off topic but Fender are releasing an American Special Mustang guitar, the first mustang to be made in the US for 5/6 years. If the recent introduction of the starcaster/corondo/cabronita etc guitar AND bass ranges are anything to go by, there's a chance that they may follow suit and release an American Special or FSR mustang bass.

You never know!

[quote name='Junkyard Rocket' timestamp='1378073727' post='2195629']
I have Thomastik TI JF324s on my CIJ mustang. It sounds more like my precisons than any of my other no P-pickuped basses probably due to the split pickup. Lots of punch, maybe slightly darker in its tone than my 1990 MIJ precision with JF344s. If you like light low tension flexible flatwounds that feel and sound wonderful, JF324s are ideal for the mustang.
[/quote]
+ 1
Got 'em on my Pawn Shop Mustang.