Why become a member? ×

Blinded by the light

beerdragon

[quote name='beerdragon' post='218678' date='Jun 14 2008, 02:17 AM']Blimey i did'nt know we had a bass player from Manfred Manns Earthband posting on Basschat. one of my favourite bands.[/quote]

Springsteen song originally - and definitely some of his strangest lyrics:

Madman drummers bummers and Indians in the summer with a teenage diplomat
In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way into his hat
With a boulder on my shoulder feelin' kinda older I tripped the merry-go-round
With this very unpleasing sneezing and wheezing the calliope crashed to the ground
Some all-hot half-shot was headin' for the hot spot snappin' his fingers clappin' his hands
And some fleshpot mascot was tied into a lover's knot with a whatnot in her hand
And now young Scott with a slingshot finally found a tender spot and throws his lover in the sand
And some bloodshot forget-me-not whispers daddy's within earshot save the buckshot turn up the band

And she was blinded by the light
Cut loose like a deuce another runner in the night
Blinded by the light
She got down but she never got tight, but she'll make it alright

Some brimstone baritone anti-cyclone rolling stone preacher from the east
He says: "Dethrone the dictaphone, hit it in its funny bone, that's where they expect it least"
And some new-mown chaperone was standin' in the corner all alone watchin' the young girls dance
And some fresh-sown moonstone was messin' with his frozen zone to remind him of the feeling of romance

Yeah he was blinded by the light
Blinded by the light
He got down but she never got tight, but he's gonna make it tonight

Some silicone sister with her manager's mister told me I got what it takes
She said I'll turn you on sonny, to something strong if you play that song with the funky break,
And go-cart Mozart was checkin' out the weather chart to see if it was safe to go outside
And little Early-Pearly came in by her curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride,
Oh, some hazard from Harvard was skunked on beer playin' backyard bombardier
Yes and Scotland Yard was trying hard, they sent a dude with a calling card,
he said, do what you like, but don't do it here
Well I jumped up, turned around, spit in the air, fell on the ground
Asked him which was the way back home
He said take a right at the light, keep goin' straight until night, and then boy, you're on your own

And now in Zanzibar a shootin' star was ridin' in a side car hummin' a lunar tune
Yes, and the avatar said blow the bar but first remove the cookie jar we're gonna teach those boys to laugh too soon

And some kidnapped handicap was complainin' that he caught the clap from some mousetrap he bought last night,

Well I unsnapped his skull cap and between his ears I saw
a gap but figured he'd be all right

He was just blinded by the light
Blinded by the light
Mama always told me not to look into the sights of the sun
Oh but mama that's where the fun is

I'd like to try some of what he was on the night he wrote this :)

Edited by molan

I thought me ears were burnin'

[quote]I wonder if he's "on the road again"?[/quote]
:huh:
Kind of...just got back from a one-off in Nordhausen somewhere in East Germany. Had to use our ex drummer (Geoff Dunn) for this show as our relatively new shed builder (Jimmy Copley) is in Japan promoting his solo album. ..selfish git or what?:huh:
Great gig, great people, shame they got a bit wet though (open air)... it's not just the UK that's having a boring summer.

Oh, and thanks go to George Dubya for delaying our flight to Heathrow this afternoon :)

Steve

[quote name='molan' post='219410' date='Jun 15 2008, 08:21 PM']Springsteen song originally - and definitely some of his strangest lyrics:
I'd like to try some of what he was on the night he wrote this :huh:[/quote]

What the Funk? :) 'those look small, I'll have ten!

[quote name='molan' post='219410' date='Jun 15 2008, 08:21 PM']Springsteen song originally - and definitely some of his strangest lyrics:[/quote]

I didn't know that and wouldn't have guessed in a million years. Personal opinion, but can't stand Springsteen generally. BBTL is a good song though, if weird.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='220325' date='Jun 17 2008, 12:56 AM']I didn't know that and wouldn't have guessed in a million years. Personal opinion, but can't stand Springsteen generally. BBTL is a good song though, if weird.[/quote]

Here's the Springsteen version if you haven't heard it: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN6zFN8cAPs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN6zFN8cAPs[/url]

I do prefer the MMEB version of course!

Or if you want to hear one of the many more recent cover versions I quite like this one by Funkstar Deluxe : [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc_V4QXGPyk&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc_V4QXGPyk...feature=related[/url]

I feel this may be confirm me as something of a heretic to the purists though :)

OK, There's been much speculation over the years as to what is actually sung in the chorus of the MMEB version. In fact, when it was released in America, a few radio stations wouldn't play it, assuming that the word was "douche".

The actual Earth Band lyric [i]is [/i](cue fanfare) [b]... Wrapped up like a deuce another runner in the night...[/b]... At least... that's what I've been singing for the last 22 years :)

The reason it sounds like "Douche" (according to Manfred) is that when they came to do the original mix there was a slight misalignment of the tape heads resulting in "S" sounding like "Sh".

Steve

Back in the early ninties I was working as a sound engineer at Samurai rehearsal studios in london and had the pleasure of meeting manfred mann and used to hear the singer ( I can,t remember who he was) sing revved up....... every day for a week.

Edited by wizbat

[quote name='SteveK' post='219557' date='Jun 15 2008, 11:37 PM']I thought me ears were burnin'[/quote]
H Steve!
As I recall, the follow-up (or soon after) was "Don't kill it Carol", with the bassist doing some vocoder stuff on the intro -was that you?

[quote name='SteveK' post='220457' date='Jun 17 2008, 11:09 AM']OK, There's been much speculation over the years as to what is actually sung in the chorus of the MMEB version. In fact, when it was released in America, a few radio stations wouldn't play it, assuming that the word was "douche".

The actual Earth Band lyric [i]is [/i](cue fanfare) [b]... Wrapped up like a deuce another runner in the night...[/b]... At least... that's what I've been singing for the last 22 years :)

The reason it sounds like "Douche" (according to Manfred) is that when they came to do the original mix there was a slight misalignment of the tape heads resulting in "S" sounding like "Sh".

Steve[/quote]

I remember thinking it was "douche" when it first came out.

So here's one for you - in the Springsteen lyrics there's the line:

"And little Early-Pearly came in by her curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride"

But in the MM version I used to swear that it goes:

And little Early-Pearly [b]gave my anus[/b] curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride,

Check it out - around 2:10 - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6AFCJ1dLdg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6AFCJ1dLdg[/url]

As a teenager hearing this in the era of the wonderful chocolate & toffee curly wurly bar this used to conjure up all sorts of images :huh:

Also - whilst we're here - Only just discovered there's a 7 minute version of this - I hope that's the live version, some nice guitar work here!

In fact there's a YouTube version of this with someone's interpretation of the lyrics:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs0JoZHGP9M&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs0JoZHGP9M...feature=related[/url]

Edited by molan

Some time ago (two years ?) a drummer I knew played at this Heavy Rock festival in Roeselare (Belgium).. I could get in for free and since I had nothing to do I went to see different shows mainly with rather heavy rock bands..Squeezed in between was Manfred Mann's Earth Band and since I love at least four songs I was curious how they would manage to keep themselves up in between the rest of the bands..
I was floored by the band from the first minute and it was one of the best concerts I have ever seen in my life.
Great players, excellent songs, a great live sound and the whole hall applauded after every song. It was just such a relief to hear true musicianship and a tight band with great songs that gave you goosebumps... Days and weeks later it made me smile whenever I thought of it... That's what music is for ! Thanks a lot...

[quote name='molan' post='221240' date='Jun 18 2008, 11:12 AM']But in the MM version I used to swear that it goes:

And little Early-Pearly [b]gave my anus[/b] curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride,

Check it out - around 2:10 - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6AFCJ1dLdg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6AFCJ1dLdg[/url][/quote]

Sounds like "came by in his" just said quite quickly to my ears with it sounding more like " 'is" rather than "his" due to the H not sounding out loudly in the singers accent.

Edited by Buzz

[quote]used to hear the singer ( I can,t remember who he was) sing revved up....... every day for a week.[/quote]That would've been Noel McCalla.
I've just got off the phone to him - and to double check (and for my own peace of mind) I asked him what he sings...it is, and always has been [b]"wrapped up like a deuce"[/b] (thank f***! I was starting to think I'd been singing the wrong words (BV's) all these years).

[quote]As I recall, the follow-up (or soon after) was "Don't kill it Carol", with the bassist doing some vocoder stuff on the intro -was that you?[/quote]No, that was before my time - I joined in late '85. If I remember rightly, it was Pat King on bass playing the theme, with Steve Waller tracking him on guitar/voice box.
FYI we do a rocking good live version featuring bass :huh:

[quote]"And little Early-Pearly came in by her curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride"

But in the MM version I used to swear that it goes:
And little Early-Pearly gave my anus curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride,[/quote]No, it's definitely "came by [b]in his[/b] curly-wurly" Although, Noel (mentioned above) and I much prefer your version...got a feeling he may sing your version at the next gig :).
The long "Blinded" is (I think) the "Roaring Silence" album version...but don't quote me on that.

[quote]I was floored by the band from the first minute and it was one of the best concerts I have ever seen in my life.
Great players, excellent songs, a great live sound and the whole hall applauded after every song. It was just such a relief to hear true musicianship and a tight band with great songs that gave you goosebumps.[/quote]Thanks very much for your kind words...much appreciated.

[quote]Sounds like "came by in his" just said quite quickly to my ears with it sounding more like " 'is" rather than "his" due to the H not sounding out loudly in the singers accent[/quote]Spot on!

Cheers all,

Steve