Why become a member? ×

Some outlets on USA eBay completing customs charging at point of sale.

Stacker

Are you sure you are not confusing this with USA sellers who will ship to you internationally using some super fast courier and in their listing will state "no customs charge at point of delivery to you", or some such phrase. What they don't say is that you will just get the import tax bill in the post later ! It's a bit manipulative IMO. You still get to pay the tax, just not actually at the time they deliver to you, or collect it.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1377452590' post='2187716']
No, auctions state custom charges are calculated when the item is won; there's even a breakdown of what you'd expect to pay on the auction page itself! Unless I've got this totally wrong................
[/quote]

I noticed this the other day and was equally sceptical. Unless ebay have some arrangement with HMRC?

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1377433434' post='2187405']
Not really sure about this. What if you didn't want the bass shipped outside the USA? I'd love to know how HMRC get their pound of flesh from the USA end.
[/quote]
Do you mean the 'Global Postage Programme'?

If you do then do an internet search for that phrase and all will be revealed.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1377461763' post='2187877']
Do you mean the 'Global Postage Programme'?

If you do then do an internet search for that phrase and all will be revealed.
[/quote]

I saw that when I looked at the particular auction I was looking at. And now that I've looked at it further I'm definitely not happy about an additional and non-UK third party taking control of import/VAT charges (although VAT is not directly mentioned). I'd like to hear of this process being successfully concluded at the UK end before I went near it. I mean, if you know you're gonna be due, say, £300 to HMRC and it gets paid via paypal when you completed the auction payment process and then, a week or so later, your bass/guitar is being held up by the International Hub in Coventry cos it's awaiting payment of charges. If it works, well and good, but I'm cynical enough to see payments being delayed or not received by Parcelforce on behalf of HMRC.

On a more positive note - does this payment of charges up front sound the death knell for Parcelfarce's underserved and hated £13 'handling charge'?

Edited by Stacker

And this, from section 4c of ebay's GPP T&Cs:-

[b]Risk of Loss.[/b] Notwithstanding any of the foregoing, as between you and your Seller, the risk of loss or damage to a GSP Item shall remain with your Seller until the GSP Item is accepted at the U.S. Shipping Center. As between you and Pitney Bowes, risk of [b]loss or damage to a GSP Item shall transfer to you from Pitney Bowes and/or its third party parcel processing service providers when the GSP Item leaves the U.S. Shipping Center.[/b] However, your purchase may be covered by the eBay Buyer Protection policy and the PayPal Purchase Protection policy.

Interesting.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1377501613' post='2188095']
ebay is also adding on charges within the postage cost and various handling fees within the import charges.Nice!
[/quote]
There are a lot of negative posts on the ebay community forums about this. It seems that you end up paying more in the long run.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1377499346' post='2188081']
Aannnd here we go! See post 2.

[url="http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Payment-Topics/GLOBAL-POSTAGE-SYSTEM/td-p/422567"]http://community.eba...TEM/td-p/422567[/url]
[/quote]

A read through that should warn most people off. At face value it seemed such a good idea, but when I saw the name Pitney Bowes..

Sadly, Ebay don't give a sh1te past their fees structure. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I wish there was a setting on eBay where you could exclude sellers in the US from searches, but allow the rest of the world. Judging by some of the charges they must be paying protection money not to get eaten by the foreign shipping goblins.

I saw the GPP and assumed it was typical American capitalism; invent a service that isn't needed and over charge for it.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1378848172' post='2205640']I wish there was a setting on eBay where you could exclude sellers in the US from searches, but allow the rest of the world.[/quote]

I wish the eBay iPhone and iPad apps would actually show me items located in the UK when I ask for it. Unless Poughkeepsie and Genoa have secretly ceded from their conventional countries to join the United Kingdom, they are failing dismally.

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1378851081' post='2205705']
I wish the eBay iPhone and iPad apps would actually show me items located in the UK when I ask for it. Unless Poughkeepsie and Genoa have secretly ceded from their conventional countries to join the United Kingdom, they are failing dismally.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: