Why become a member? ×

Strings recommendation

uncle psychosis

Hey folks

I've currently got a set of Status Flatwounds on my TRB and whilst I love the feel I'd like some strings with a bit more zing and slightly less thump (especially on lower notes). I suspect that pressurewounds or halfwounds maybe up my street but I'd really like some recommendations. I'm not prepared to spend much more than £30 on a set of strings so please bear that in mind...

tl;dr: Please recommend strings that feel like flats under the fingers but sound like halfwounds. Cheap.

Cheers!

Chromes come instantly to mind because they're pretty pingy for flats, but if you want a little more zing, you could try D'Addario half rounds. I have them on my fretless and the feel is great, smooth but with not quite as much friction as flats so I find them a bit quicker to play. Sound wise, plenty of mellowness but with a brigher more cutting edge I've yet to find in any flat wound string, which suits me.... Available in a fairly decent range of gauges and under £30 for a 4 string set :)

Well the Chromes are very bright, maybe a little too much, but I have a turny thing on my bass that changes the brightness to not so bright.
They sounded fine in band rehearsal last night. Just not as much low end as the Tomastiks (I have a turny thing on my amp that fixed this though).

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1377857758' post='2192779']
Or Status Half rounds maybe? I've not tried them myself but they get a lot of love on these pages.
[/quote]

Someone (whose opinion I trust) told me that they couldn't find much difference between the status flats (what I'm currently using) and their half rounds.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Irritatingly it seems that getting half-round strings for a 35" five string bass is not cheap. I may just need to go back to roundwounds...(especially because I have a set of DRs with plenty play left in them lying around doing nothing)...

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1377859317' post='2192819']
Someone [b](whose opinion I trust)[/b] told me that they couldn't find much difference between the status flats (what I'm currently using) and their half rounds.

[/quote]

So not me then? Lol :P