Why become a member? ×

On the economics of pub management

Happy Jack

Some of the pubs around here use bands as a way to try and get people to stick around for longer. They serve food until 9pm with the bands starting at 9pm.

In fact ALL the pubs I have played in have used this model. They expect extra punters to come in just for the band and a drink, but a lot of people will come for some food first and a lot of people that come in for food will stay.

Having played to half a dozen people in a pub on a Friday night, it does beg the question how they do afford it.

Again..round here... the pub grub market is vibrant it is probably the one thing that has grown.. but you need to make an effort with the food and be known for it.
A few bands will do these nights with a ticket cover charge and it is a way to get the more expensive bands into a pub gig.

Pub may be a set menu-ish for say £25.00 per head..and the band fee comes out of that.
This way, bands will want £350 or £400 for the gig.

The gigs are mostly sold out way in advance and people don't mind paying £25 plus per head to geta cover band on the menu.
These are not regarded as pub gigs as it is, in effect, ticketed.
Much easier to control the budget if you know how many tickets you have sold out on.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1376758896' post='2178812']
There is not enough money in pub gigs for the work, IMO... so there needs to something else good about it.
[/quote]

That can be playing originals instead of tired old covers. If there's no money in it then might as well play what you prefer.

But then I've never tried to be a pro player. For me it's the enjoyment of playing. No one pays me to go fishing or sailing or diving or other 'hobbies' - it's just not a money thing for me.

Too many variables.

If you're a pub with a big music reputation and a Saturday night draw then you don't need the band to bring people.

If you're a pub with no clientele on a Saturday but are busy the rest of the week then you can gamble or subsidise.

If you're a pub with no clientele all week then you use the band to bring in people by asking the band to promote the evening and promote it yourself.

If you're a chain like O'Neils you have a pro talent scout and entertainments manager booking bands.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1376758076' post='2178803']
I've been involved in pubs all my working life (12 years) and have just taken over a pub with my wife that we've already been working at for the last 4 years.

We have live music every Saturday night and over the summer every Sunday afternoon with a barbecue and other garden party-type stuff.

We pay from £240 to £350 per band depending on how well known they are and how much we think we'll earn on that night. We are a small pub; maximum 120 people inside and out. In the winter, maximum 80 people indoors.

Believe it or not, we take just as much money in the week as we do in the weekends. We have bingo, pool league, darts league and also a conference room. We use this money to subsidise the weekends entertainment. It's very rare that we actually make good money after paying a band. On an especially good night we'll take £2k behind the bar and after all outgoings are considered we might have £300 to bank.

Pub economics is real seat-of-your-pants type stuff. We've survived by turning our pub into a community centre of sorts. We host all kinds of events, provide catering services for local events and we involved ourselves in local life as much as possible.

Truckstop
[/quote]

Nice one Truckstop, this answer probably explains at least two of the under-attended venues we play.

So ... you looking for bands at the moment?

;) :D

Like any sensible person looking to start a business you only need to watch a TV soap to see how its done! "The Queen Vic" is the perfect example. Never too busy :D . Never has deliveries. Nobody gets up early. Occasional run to the "cash and carry" for a box of crisps. All this effeciency leaves lots of free time to sit around and argue or help out in various other business ventures! An inspiration to all future landlords! :D

...... don't get me started on the car dealers! :rolleyes:

My band play a one particular bar in Edinburgh which fortunately for the owners (who have a handful of bars) get a big crowd anyway by virture of their location. They have live music 7 nights a week and for August and the fringe festival have 2 bands per night over the weekend as well as on big sporting days. They know that they will be getting the business anyway. The managers view is that people who dance get thirsty so keep the songs coming lads! The bar is so profitable they sold other properties to concentrate money on a rebuild a few yrs ago following a fire in an adjacent building. I've seen them take between £19,000- £25,000 on a very busy 6 Nation's Saturday (especially if it's a St.Patrick's Day weekend with a Scotland home game at Murrayfield. I guess paying out £240 for a band or £440 for two bands over the evening is absoulte peanuts! and that is Feb/March months before the Edinburgh festival crowds decend on town!

Unless you have a very good landlord (not a pubco), a very good location, and a lot of room, putting on bands is seldom a profitable enterprise. Given all the other costs a £250 band probably needs to boost takings by at least 500 pints to make a profit on the night. Round here, good pubs in good locations don't bother with weekend music, they don't need to pay the extra money.

Open mikes, jam sessions, folk sessions may not bring in many punters but they can get a pub a good reputation and make some money because they cost very little.

In general pub economics make very little sense. I live in an area where pubs and cafe bars are the in thing, in five years it will have moved somewhere else and we will end up with a collection of desperate bars, putting on music on a Saturday night in the hope of meeting their next rent payment.

Steve

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1376823100' post='2179421']

Nice one Truckstop, this answer probably explains at least two of the under-attended venues we play.

So ... you looking for bands at the moment?

;) :D
[/quote]

We're booked until April 2014 but PM me with your bands details and we'll sort something out :)

(in exchange for a go on the Alleva!)

Truckstop