Why become a member? ×

Like Chromes but not Chromes?

Stan_da_man

[quote name='Stan_da_man' timestamp='1376424737' post='2173883']
I've tried TI rounds before and the tension was too low for my liking - how do the flats compare?
[/quote]
Not tried TI rounds so can't compare but I've been using the same set of TI flats on my fretless for the last three years and just love the feel. They are significantly lower tension than chromes but don't feel at all floppy to me. Depends what your used to though I guess and what you're after. Total string tension for a 4 string set of TI flats is 140.2 lbs. Tension for a roughly equivalent set of chromes (40-60-80-100) is 165 lbs if that's any help.

[quote name='Stan_da_man' timestamp='1376424879' post='2173888']
What strings would you say the tension is similar to?
[/quote]

Something in- between the TI's and the La Bella 760 FL- 43-104.

The above post is right! Look at a lighter set.
Getting the right gauge/tension has been the crucial issue for me in finding the right flats.

I haven't found anything like chromes. They are brighter than any of the other flats I've used and couldn't be further away from the sound of TIs or Rotos.

I'm using 40-100 and they're fantastic but the E gets too floppy when I use my detuner to go down to D- to get a thicker E I need 50s but they're way too high tension

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1376551110' post='2175696']
I haven't found anything like chromes. They are brighter than any of the other flats I've used and couldn't be further away from the sound of TIs or Rotos.

I'm using 40-100 and they're fantastic but the E gets too floppy when I use my detuner to go down to D- to get a thicker E I need 50s but they're way too high tension
[/quote]

You can buy them as singles!

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1376657691' post='2177482']
As a band I play with regularly tune a semitone flat, higher tension might be to my advantage.

Noted. :)
[/quote]

Roto 50s tuned down a semitone sound really good

Also, Roto Solo bass strings are not flats - they're pressure wound

• 2 months later...