Why become a member? ×

Wish-EUB

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1376058246' post='2169153']
At least they're honest [i][color=#333333][font=Arial][size=1] We keep our prices down by using the absolute minimum finish[/size][/font][/color][/i]
[/quote]

And effective. £192 or £225 for a working hand-made bass BIN price in the states.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1376078805' post='2169595']
Is there a finish thread concerning this Wishbass on this forum somewhere?
[/quote]

Not on here, in a reverse order, diffuse sort of way its mostly documented on my blog: http://ampstack.wordpress.com/tag/wishbass/

The oil finish takes a long time to properly mature so it keeps on looking better. fair few BCers have seen it now, since it hangs in my living room and gets lots of curious.

One thing that has always bugged me about these instruments is the absolute lack of care and attention put into drilling the holes for the through body stringing. They're all over the place. I'd happily pay $50 more for him to take his time over this bit - it's absolutely infuriating to me.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1376089955' post='2169753']
One thing that has always bugged me about these instruments is the absolute lack of care and attention put into drilling the holes for the through body stringing. They're all over the place. I'd happily pay $50 more for him to take his time over this bit - it's absolutely infuriating to me.
[/quote]

I've noted that in some of the youtube videos where people show off their refinished wishbasses. They quite often mention having to fill in the holes and re-drill them.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1376090944' post='2169761']
Thing is, cost way more than £50 to get a handmade bass with that kind of attention to detail. I just sent him a bridge, no holes that way.
[/quote]

That's not what I meant (or said). To expand upon my initial point I would give him an extra $50 on top of the actual price if he would use a bloody ruler and a drill press instead of just guessing and hoping for the best. I presumed that $50 would cover the extra 30 minutes or so that this individual piece of extra care and attention would take.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1376128636' post='2169947']
I presumed that $50 would cover the extra 30 minutes or so that this individual piece of extra care and attention would take.
[/quote]

Not a great assumption. Individual custom work interrupting batched jobs costs quite a lot more.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1376328086' post='2172217']
Not a great assumption. Individual custom work interrupting batched jobs costs quite a lot more.
[/quote]

I'd hardly call it individual custom work - he's drilling the holes anyway. I'm suggesting an alteration which would improve his entire "batched job", probably cost only a little more in terms of time and make things look so much better. It's called measuring and drilling accurately.

He put his business up for sale a while back, you could put your money where your mouth is and take over, do it your way. While you are at it you could get higher end woods, and better finishing, and hardware. Then you can have fun competing with every other luthier in the world.

Sorry but I put Wishbass only a little higher than MDP in terms of ability in bass world.

No style, no attention to detail, no consistency, no innovation, no quality. Drilling a hole straight and true is pretty much Janet & John Book 1A in Woodworking.

Ive seen better designed Cloths Horses than that EUB.

A

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1376330265' post='2172267']
You couldn't pick the Wishbass out of a lineup?
[/quote]

Thats got nothing to do with style. A badly chiseled Giant Pretzl isnt 'style'

As an example. This was a business that not only supplied quality at affordable prices and has the respect of pretty much everyone who has had contact with him but also, due to his knowledge, skill and pricing has been able to take on the big boys and beat them at their own game from a shed in South Wales.

This is how to do it.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/214413-wizard-pickups-closes/page__pid__2172275#entry2172275"]http://basschat.co.u...75#entry2172275[/url]

A

Edited by apa

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1376329328' post='2172239']
He put his business up for sale a while back, you could put your money where your mouth is and take over, do it your way. While you are at it you could get higher end woods, and better finishing, and hardware. Then you can have fun competing with every other luthier in the world.
[/quote]

Why in hell would I do that? Get off your high horse. I made one suggestion which would certainly improve things from my point of view while not in any way changing anything else about the instruments (the holes look pretty straight in the picture above, so it is possible). Now it seems I'm not entitled to an opinion without having to buy his company, redesign his basses or prove my ability to drill holes straight? Riiiiight then.

If you want to continue this pettiness then be my guest, but there will be no further communication from me on this matter. I am done here.

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1376330864' post='2172285']
Thats got nothing to do with style. A badly chiseled Giant Pretzl isnt 'style'
[/quote]

they don't all look like that one. But in spite of having a very wide variety of shapes, they remain very recogniseable. That is a style.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1376334694' post='2172402']
I made one suggestion which would certainly improve things from my point of view
[/quote]

If you have a preference, that is catered for by countless numbers of other instrument makers, why demand someone who occupies a different and far smaller niche accommodate you?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1376337446' post='2172492']
they don't all look like that one. But in spite of having a very wide variety of shapes, they remain very recogniseable. That is a style.
[/quote]

OK Ill concede that one. I did pick a bad example. And for the record I totally admire their agenda. Keeping costs down and local sourcing etc. However it still remains the fact that before you make and sell something by hand make sure you can do a good job of it.

A

What a pile of sh*t !
Poor materials, shoddy workmanship, FFS is it me or does it still have the pencil marks on it? Which judging by the holes weren't even looked at before the drill bit went in. Even when something is sold as 'cheap' as this I personally would expect some quality standards, this has none from what i can see.
The only USP on this is it's cheap ....doesn't cut it for me i'm afraid.
An extremely poor re-hash of an Ergo IMHO.

Ian

Edited by scojack