Why become a member? ×

Expensive Bass .. Cheap Packaging

mart

The absolute worse cases are the cheaper Warwick ones.

I don't understand how a manufacturer selling a bass for £2500 or more can't deal with a good case manufacturer (just like how Overwater and Shuker deal with Hiscox) to get a high end cases made with their logo on. It completes the package for me. Even if I don't use the hardcase much I want one or a very high end hybrid bag like the Sadowsky one.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1375987477' post='2168369']
Yes all of them, but I only have one half of a Twix and the green Tic Tacs from a carton of orange and lime ones to offer you ................. let me know :ph34r:
[/quote]
Sorry mate, if it had been the orange Tic-Tacs and a whole Twix I'm sure we could have done a deal....

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1376044055' post='2168898']
... there isn't a fine line between your bass getting damaged in transit and it arriving safely. If the courier does something that could damage your bass while it's in a soft case, it would probably damage whilst in a hard-case too. Not always, but in most situations.
[/quote]

I'd go along with these 'less is better packaging' comments, but I have to say I now use a semi-hard case, you know, hard foam gig bag type thing, since a machine head got bent in a soft gig bag. They're really light and offer way more protection than the soft case - which was quite an expensive one.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1376295900' post='2171709']
This is the gig bag that fits a Star Bass: RB 20631 B/PLUS. Trouble is no-one has them in stock!
[/quote]

[url=http://shop.warwick.de/?&c=35352310036&lang=en&smk=1&modul=shop&site=article_details&article_id=D0563997001322750284A5924&article_category=D0197590001321517444A51397&nm=D0612737001321517442A50670|D0954943001321517443A51254|D0197590001321517444A51397]Not even Warwick themselves it seems![/url]

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1375987062' post='2168364']
I think getting a hardcase is essential for a bass over £1000. Anything over £2k and I'd expect something very high end and fancy.

The best hard cases are the new Fender hardcases and the EBMM ones.

The best soft cases are the Mono cases.
[/quote]

See my first post, 3600 for a mm ltd and the worst hard case I have ever had. MM old cases are class the new type are cheap and nasty. I would much rather a good quality soft case or no case at all.

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1376346626' post='2172735']
See my first post, 3600 for a mm ltd and the worst hard case I have ever had. MM old cases are class the new type are cheap and nasty. I would much rather a good quality soft case or no case at all.
[/quote]

Which one did you get?! That doesn't sound like the factory case to me. The Ltd's often get a very nice 'traditional' old Fender type case with plush linings. The normal Musicman cases are the large modern plastic ones, (not as heavy and cut out correctly for each bass design).

25th Ann 5HSS, at the price of the bass the case was an embarrassment. It was a cheap copy of the old rock solid cases that came with any of my stingrays even the name was just a sticker under the Handel That lasted about a week. A good quality Levi's or mono soft case would have been better as the case was not strong enough to survive a trip in the band van but was too big to ride in the cab with me.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1376386886' post='2173028']
Which one did you get?!
[/quote]

... and in my case it was a generic MM case without Bongo badge, carrying a 2007 Lim.ed. Bongo Dargie Delight.
(As relayed, the lid gave in when the bass found it wanted to travel through the case. This heavily bent the volume pot shaft, the volume knob slightly damaging the pot recess lacquering.)

b,
b

Both my GB and Shuker have Hiscox liteflight cases.

IMO the best all round case you can buy

Relatively cheap to buy
Maximum protection against all the most server of accidents
Weather proof
Totally reusable

And apart from the felt interior and possibly the foam reinforcements

It's made of ABS which is totally recyclable

Thenl catches are solid metal which are recyclable

And other bits are made from plywood again recyclable.

So it's also ethically made also.

:)

Oh it's a British business still using traditional methods

I happened to be at Jon Shuker the day a guy from Hiscox came to sort out the embossed emblem on to the cases

He stenciled it onto a piece of wood and then hand carved it ready to make the mould.

And both cases were 'included' in the price.

Edited by ZenBasses

I guess it's what your used to.

I never find mine over bearing to carry but over long distances I could envisage this being a bit taxing.

Maybe the price you pay for protection?..

Used to have a really nice Warwick rock bag..

But in clubs and pubs with dopey drunken people knocking the case on the floor only to be trodden on resulting in a snapped neck. I've seen this a few times.....*shudders*

Usually occurs with drunken band members from other bands sharing a room somewhere.

Spent a good few hours using it as a seat on train station platforms haha..!

But it's all horses for courses

I bet there will come a point when my opinion will change on musical instrument protective travel solutions

:)

Edited by ZenBasses

When I was a kid and got my guitars from the Bell's Catalogue I used to dream about one day, having an instrument that came with a hard case. I thought that was the sign of a 'professional'.
Once I'd got one it only took one trip to band practice on the bus to realise they weren't the Holy Grail.

When I got my P bass deluxe s/h at the handover I was amazed at the state of the hardcase. It looked like it had been sat in or had been spilt with some quite aggressive organic solvent. This had eaten through the outer shell in a couple of places though the interior remained undamaged. I've patched it with gaffa for the time being, it is an odd body shape and I don't think a regular P moulded case would fit. It made me think that if it had been in a soft case that would have just soaked it up like a sponge and I expect would have made it through to the finish on the bass itself.