Why become a member? ×

Is the price of this MM Sub 5 justified?

TheMissWolfiee

Saw this on gumtree and was wondering if it was really worth the asking price?

I own a 2005 Made in USA Sub 5 and didnt pay nearly as much for it (possibly more worn cosmetically but still)...

Anyway, thoughts?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/musicman-sub-bass-guitar-5-string-very-rare/1026648173#photo-content

Great basses, well built but at the end of the day, not as well built with poorer woods than real Stingrays. For that reason, they don't now, nor ever will, be close to the value of said real stringray. £450 absolute tops. Easy to make comparisons to the JV Squiers in terms of value increase in the future (value of those still completely baffles me) however the difference is the Stingray's being made at the same time as these were better, and i would say they were selling at no more than£700 really at the moment. So £675 for this is a joke!

The only thing that these may have had going for them was that they were 5 string stingrays that were in the classic format. Now that EB have brought out the new Classic series, its lost that unique factor!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1375571379' post='2163132']
Great basses, well built but at the end of the day, not as well built with poorer woods than real Stingrays. For that reason, they don't now, nor ever will, be close to the value of said real stringray. £450 absolute tops. Easy to make comparisons to the JV Squiers in terms of value increase in the future (value of those still completely baffles me) however the difference is the Stingray's being made at the same time as these were better, and i would say they were selling at no more than£700 really at the moment. So £675 for this is a joke!

The only thing that these may have had going for them was that they were 5 string stingrays that were in the classic format. Now that EB have brought out the new Classic series, its lost that unique factor!
[/quote]
I agree, heaven knows why the sr5 didnt look like the sub 5 in the first place!?

[quote name='TheMissWolfiee' timestamp='1375576300' post='2163167']
When I bought mine I was told by the seller is was Basswood - however when I went to get it set-up the Luther (The String Surgeon in Horbury) told me it was actually a 2 piece Alder body - I was looking to get it stripped/re-finished at the time
[/quote]

They were advertised as being basswood. Or was it poplar? One of the two. But EBMM seem quite inconsistent with the SUB line (pickups in series or in parallel? ;) see below) so I would not be surprised if at some point they built a few with other woods if it was convenient.

Lovely basses. Are they worth £675? I'd say yes... Would I pay £675? Most definitely not, as the going rate for them seems quite a bit lower, so I'd look for another.
I bought my SUB5 for £350 3 years ago, but that was a low price even then. £400-450 seems more like it these days, with the 4 string version a bit less than that 9I paid £415 for my white one, which was immaculate except two tunes that got bent in transit, and I got the seller to pay for the replacements... I wanted a white one and was not willing to wait, so I paid a bit more than I could have... and recently I paid £350 for my wine red one)

Is a modern Stingray better than those SUBs?
Maybe. I don't know for sure. But they did not make SUBs with maple fingerboards and the Stingrays have prettier finishes... so I will still keep my Stingray, but there really isn't anything between them. The build is certainly just as good, just the finish is different and the bridge/tuners may be different (they are not MusicMan stamped). The late SUBs (2005 and 2006) have the same compensated nuts the Stingrays did at the time. The preamp is the same, and so are the pickups... although it seems that some were wired in parallel (as in a Stingray) and some in series, who knows why? My SUBs are one of each, the early one from 2003 is series, and my 2006 one is parallel. I personally love the punch of the series configuration, I think it complements the 2EQ better than in parallel.

[quote name='TheMissWolfiee' timestamp='1375545293' post='2162762']

I own a 2005 Made in USA Sub 5 and didnt pay nearly as much for it (possibly more worn cosmetically but still)...

Anyway, thoughts?

[url="http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/musicman-sub-bass-guitar-5-string-very-rare/1026648173#photo-content"]http://www.gumtree.c...3#photo-content[/url]
[/quote]

If it sells at that price then the price is justified. If not then it's not.

[quote name='TheMissWolfiee' timestamp='1375545293' post='2162762']

Anyway, thoughts?

[url="http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/musicman-sub-bass-guitar-5-string-very-rare/1026648173#photo-content"]http://www.gumtree.c...3#photo-content[/url]
[/quote]

Short answer = No.
Why ? Because I bought a proper Stingray 5 for £650 a month ago