Why become a member? ×

Can Anybody Recommend Me A Case For A Large Semi Acoustic Bass?

bagsieblue

Can Anybody Recommend Me A Case For A Semi Acoustic Bass please?
5 String, 34" Scale.

Anyone recommendd / got something that would suit (I've put a wanted ad up as well but will ask for more info in here as well).

Looking for something that will fit very snugly please.

Edited by bagsieblue

Ooh, we're you seduced by the Thomann blow-out too? What colour did you get?

Anyway, I'm afraid I don't have a good recommendation. Thomann sell the recommended Warwick bag, but at something like £60, and I felt there had to be a cheaper alternative, but I haven't found one yet.

The only other suggestion I read somewhere, was to use an acoustic bass gig bag, so that's what I'm doing for the time being.

But I'm hoping someone else has a more useful answer!

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1375441258' post='2161330']
Why you'd want to put an item worth £700 in a bag less that £60 i do not know. There's never good reason to skimp on protection.
[/quote]
There's never a good reason to use far more protection than necessary. Should I buy a £300 Goretex jacket to wear when it's a sunny day and I'm just popping round to the corner shop?

Similarly, given that all of my bass playing happens in a very sedate venue that is about 400 yards from my house, and I walk there carrying the bass and nothing else (all the backline is kept at the venue), I would like something that will protect the bass from a spot of rain, and very little else, and have a convenient handle or shoulder straps. And I can't see any reason to spend more money than I have to on that.

And if you ever ask where you can get the most expensive hardcase possible to afford maximum protection for your bass, I won't turn up and say "there is never a reason to spend more than £5 on a cheap cover". We're all different, so let's live and let live.

(And forgive me if I find it quite ironic that you describe yourself as "not as closed minded as most on here" ;) ).

Edited by mart

As with everything It depends on your budget.
EBS will no doubt have a case that will do the job handsomely and there will be some nice gig bags out there too.
Ive got a few spikey basses and they are very much limited to their builder supplied gig bags or custom flight case at extra cost. Did Warwick not supply a gig bag?

Edited by Voodoosnake

Why you'd want to put an item worth £700 in a bag less that £60 i do not know. There's never good reason to skimp on protection.
[/quote]

Price is not automatically a guide to suitability of the case. You need to match the case to your instrument and your method of transportation.

A full flight case will protect your instrument in the majority of situations but it's not much use if you regularly need to walk 2-3 miles carrying it. Conversely a basic gig bag won't be much use if it has to go in the back of the van with all the other band gear. My very expensive Mono gig bag is great at protecting my bass in most situations, and it's much better made than the Ritter it replaced, but it's nowhere near as comfortable to wear for more than a 10 minute walk and so in that situation it fails.

Edited by BigRedX

[/quote]

"This place has become stale. Same old bitter rubbish."? To be fair you came across a little sanctimonious and "holier-than-thou" when I read it so I'm not surprised that it got up a nose or two. It's fine to have an opinion, but it's not cool to ram it down throats like it's the law. What does it matter to you if someone buys a cheap gig bag and their bass gets damaged? At the moment my Epiphone Jack Casady is in a rather thin gig bag as it's the only one I could lay my hands on that fit it. I do not like hard cases because they are utterly inappropriate for my needs - I don't tour, I don't chuck stuff in the back of a van, I tend to have my own transport to gigs and I walk often to local gigs (and stagger home afterwards ;) ). I suppose you think I'm stupid. Good for you. But it's my bass, my risk to take and I've found on average that people don't like being made to feel or seem stupid in public. I'm sure you know this too, so are you really surprised that people got a bit snotty about it?

My actual answer to this I think has been covered already - don't Warwick manufacture (or have manufactured for them) a suitable range of products in their Rockbag/Rockcase line?

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1376041357' post='2168857']
My actual answer to this I think has been covered already - don't Warwick manufacture (or have manufactured for them) a suitable range of products in their Rockbag/Rockcase line?
[/quote]

Indeed they do. However for some reason it appears to be almost impossible to get hold of at the moment.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376041754' post='2168864']
Indeed they do. However for some reason it appears to be almost impossible to get hold of at the moment.
[/quote]

Can one not obtain one from them directly? Either that or have a bellyache at them about how hard they are to find. I did that once to amazing effect back in my heavier computer geek days - I emailed AMD (or more specifically a particular person at AMD by guessing their email address) to complain that I couldn't find a K6-III processor anywhere for love or money. They sent me a 450MHz one FOC. You could have knocked me down with a feather.

I'm not saying you'll get a free gig bag out of it, but at least you will have brought supply issues to their attention.

Coming to this thread late so sorry if this has been covered. I assume it is the length of the thing (34'' sclae?) that's ruling out all the soft carry cases for semi acoustics? I have a gig bag at home which seems massive to me (bought for my cheapo semi acoustic which now never leaves the house anyway!). If someone can post the extreme full length (bottom of body to end of headstock) and width (widest part of body) of the star bass I'll happily check the inside of my gig bag but I'm guessing it won't be suitable.

Can I just add that I have a Warwick Rockbag that I only use for walking to lessons. I haven`t had it long and my Bass spends most of its time in a stand. The bag has got a hole in the bottom from the strap buckle at the bottom. It only cost me £15 so not a lot of cash, but I wouldn`t recommend one. I would imagine there are better bags for the money

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1376063005' post='2169242']
Can I just add that I have a Warwick Rockbag that I only use for walking to lessons. I haven`t had it long and my Bass spends most of its time in a stand. The bag has got a hole in the bottom from the strap buckle at the bottom. It only cost me £15 so not a lot of cash, but I wouldn`t recommend one. I would imagine there are better bags for the money
[/quote]
There are several different lines of Rockbag, with different pricetags, ranging from around £15 upto around £70 depending on size. You've probably got one of the cheaper ones with quite thin lining. The only Starbass-sized one is from their top-of-the-range line, so is likely to be a good deal better (though there are probably still better ones out there).

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1376071521' post='2169437']
Still no nearer to identifying a case are we mart?

I emailed Hiscox last Sunday but no reply...
[/quote]
Well, I reckon I'm sorted. I got a Ritter bag off here which is just, just big enough. I fear I'm doing the zip no good in the long term, but for the amount of use I'll give it, I think it'll be fine.

I'm surprised Hiscox haven't got back to you, but I'm sure they'll have a good solution in the end. :)

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1376070146' post='2169397']
There are several different lines of Rockbag, with different pricetags, ranging from around £15 upto around £70 depending on size. You've probably got one of the cheaper ones with quite thin lining. The only Starbass-sized one is from their top-of-the-range line, so is likely to be a good deal better (though there are probably still better ones out there).
[/quote]
Yeah that is correct. I did state that it cost me £15. Student Line they call it. It is thin material.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1376105200' post='2169813']

Yeah that is correct. I did state that it cost me £15. Student Line they call it. It is thin material.
[/quote]
Sorry, I hadn't clocked that you mentioned the cost. Yes, their cheapest ones are really only suited for very light use. Hope your instrument(s) didn't suffer through the lack of protection. I actually use one for an electric guitar, but only when it's just to keep the rain off; if its going to take any more rough treatment then I use a different, heavier case.