Why become a member? ×

Connecting head and cabs, help please

Youngatheart

Hi,

After advice again please. Just received my Ashdown 500 EVO II and I want to connect it to my 2 GK cabs, one's a 2x10 and the other a 1x15. Now looking on the back I see that te EVO has one speakon speaker connector and each cab has one speakon and 1/4" jack, how do I connect them? I was assuming the cabs would have 2 speakon connectors so I could daisy chain them.

• 1 month later...

OK, forgive my ignorance, but what essentially is the difference between connecting one cab to each output and daisy-chaining on cab off the other, from one output?
My Evo II head has two outputs, and personally i use a speakon - jack cable into the first speaker, then daisy chain into the second cab - just 'cos they're the cables the bass gallery threw in with the cabs when i bought them, and i fear change!
I presume the outputs are parallel anyway?

I'm guilty of having nice toys and not really knowing all of the theory behind them, very much plug-and-play.
Possibly not the best attitude to have, but i'm trying!

Everything is in parallel unless specifically stated otherwise (which is very rare).

Soundwise there is no difference in using 2 separate amp outputs, 1 for each cab, and using only one output and daisy chaining from the 1st cab to the 2nd. Both setups will be in parallel and the amp will see the same load.

The only (minor) consideration is that when daisy chaining ALL of the amp power will be going through the first cable from amp to 1st cab, as opposed to half the power split between 2 cabs on 2 outputs. Provided you use good quality speaker cables there should be no issues here.

[quote name='bluesparky' post='237336' date='Jul 11 2008, 02:34 PM'].... I'm guilty of having nice toys and not really knowing all of the theory behind them....[/quote]

You're not the only one....

[attachment=10694:george_2...sh_thumb.jpg]

Another silly question arising from the same source - what happend if you put a low output head (say 150 watts) through a bigger cab (say 400 watts). Will it still work? I have only ever bought 'packages' and never mixed and matched.

It'll work - just that it'll be a bit quieter than with a more powerful amp. You do still run the risk of clipping the signal from the head (if you crank it) and creating 'bad noise' for want of a better word. This can still damage the more powerful speakers...

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='237344' date='Jul 11 2008, 02:45 PM']Another silly question arising from the same source - what happend if you put a low output head (say 150 watts) through a bigger cab (say 400 watts). Will it still work? I have only ever bought 'packages' and never mixed and matched.[/quote]

It really scares me that a man with such a large bunch of vegetables could be asking this question! :)

You can use any power ouput amp with any power handling cab. If any of these combinations makes bad sounds then turn down and/or stop cranking the bass EQ excessively or damage may occur. Simple.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='237396' date='Jul 11 2008, 03:42 PM']You can use any power ouput amp with any power handling cab. If any of these combinations makes bad sounds then turn down and/or stop cranking the bass EQ excessively or damage may occur. Simple.[/quote]

Pity we can't have this printed at the top of the forum in BIG LETTERS. This is the simple answer to almost every amp/cab power handling question.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='237396' date='Jul 11 2008, 03:42 PM']You can use any power ouput amp with any power handling cab. If any of these combinations makes bad sounds then turn down and/or stop cranking the bass EQ excessively or damage may occur. Simple.[/quote]

[quote name='BOD2' post='237408' date='Jul 11 2008, 03:57 PM']Pity we can't have this printed at the top of the forum in BIG LETTERS. This is the simple answer to almost every amp/cab power handling question.[/quote]
I share your pain

[quote name='alexclaber' post='237396' date='Jul 11 2008, 03:42 PM']It really scares me that a man with such a large bunch of vegetables could be asking this question! :huh:

You can use any power ouput amp with any power handling cab. If any of these combinations makes bad sounds then turn down and/or stop cranking the bass EQ excessively or damage may occur. Simple.

Alex[/quote]

[quote name='BOD2' post='237408' date='Jul 11 2008, 03:57 PM']Pity we can't have this printed at the top of the forum in BIG LETTERS. This is the simple answer to almost every amp/cab power handling question.[/quote]

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='237430' date='Jul 11 2008, 04:26 PM']I share your pain[/quote]
Why don't we change the Amps and Cabs forum name to [b]You can use any power ouput amp with any power handling cab. If any of these combinations makes bad sounds then turn down and/or stop cranking the bass EQ excessively or damage may occur. Simple.[/b]?

:)

[quote name='Merton' post='237445' date='Jul 11 2008, 04:50 PM']Why don't we change the Amps and Cabs forum name to [b]You can use any power ouput amp with any power handling cab. If any of these combinations makes bad sounds then turn down and/or stop cranking the bass EQ excessively or damage may occur. Simple.[/b]?

:)[/quote]

... because then we'd not have something to whinge about once a week :huh:

I've added it to the Wiki article on impedence and watts in the biggest letters I could. Hope you dont mind.

So let me get this straight, just so i'm clear on this, 'cos i'm not too sure what you're trying to say....
You can use any cab, with any amp, just as long as you only adjust the volume control with your right hand??
Or is it and cab, any amp as long as you're only standing on your left foot......
:brow: :brow:

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='238931' date='Jul 14 2008, 09:24 AM']Do you know how to write a big band chart?

Then f*** o** :)[/quote]
I am currently perusing me Dad's 'Inside The Score' by Rayburn Wright, does this count? Don't understand a f***ing word of it like, it's not Andy McNabb or Chris Ryan is it? And the pictures are all black and white with lines and dots all over them :huh: :huh: :huh:

So, [b][i]any[/i][/b] head and [i][b]any[/b][/i] cab? Are you sure? :brow:

Edited by johnnylager

I read somewhere that you can use any power ouput amp with any power handling cab and that, if any of these combinations makes bad sounds then you just need to turn down and/or stop cranking the bass EQ excessively or damage may occur. Its that simple.

I've also got a great recipe for Special Fried Rice if anyone wants it.

As for 'Inside The Score' by Rayburn Wright; when you have written a couple of dozen scores, go back to it. It will all make sense then.