Why become a member? ×

GREAT bassline......LAME song

Funky Dunky

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1375196003' post='2157977']
The proof I have isn't particularly definitive unfortunately, I checked numerous bios of Hungate, all of which list him as the bassist on the aforementioned track. These bios include AOL and BBC as sources.
[/quote]
Hm, BBC uses Wikipedia as a source of many of its "articles". This is not said to cast doubt on your statement, rather to lament the decline of Auntie :-(

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1375190236' post='2157873']
On a pedantic note , I also thought that David Hungate ( great player) played the bassline on "You're The One That I Want " , but after mentioning it on the forum I was duly informed by several members that it was in fact Max Bennett . If you have evidence to the contrary then please let it be known , because that would mean that I might have been right after all . It sounds a lot more like David Hungate than Max Bennett to me .
[/quote]

The personnel listings on the Grease soundtrack are sketchy at best, to the best of my knowledge I've not seen individual track by track credits so you could well be right. I'd have it down as David Hungate as well.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1375196168' post='2157982']
Great bass-line bad song is an oxymoron to me. I find myself often being in a minority of one when I say that Jamerson never works for me because the songs are mostly s*** (there are a few exceptions but very much the minority). To my mind, a great line is a great line precisely because of where it is not in spite of it.
[/quote]

Strongly agreed, followed by very strongly disagreed!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1375198328' post='2158010']
The personnel listings on the Grease soundtrack are sketchy at best, to the best of my knowledge I've not seen individual track by track credits so you could well be right. I'd have it down as David Hungate as well.
[/quote]

I think it's David Hungate and not Max Bennet because the bass tone is so very different to that which Bennett usually has . It sounds very much like a Precision with roundwounds played with a pick , which was indeed Hungate's signature sound on the L.A studio work he did around this time . Max Bennett ,on the other hand , had a very clunky flatwounds with loads of treble on kind of a sound . It's possible that the track was recorded more than once , with Bennett playing on one version and Hungate on a different take that may indeed have ended up being the one eventually selected for the album .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1375199501' post='2158027']

I think it's David Hungate and not Max Bennet because the bass tone is so very different to that which Bennett usually has . It sounds very much like a Precision with roundwounds played with a pick , which was indeed Hungate's signature sound on the L.A studio work he did around this time . Max Bennett ,on the other hand , had a very clunky flatwounds with loads of treble on kind of a sound . It's possible that the track was recorded more than once , with Bennett playing on one version and Hungate on a different take that may indeed have ended up being the one eventually selected for the album .
[/quote]

This.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1375196942' post='2157991']

Hm, BBC uses Wikipedia as a source of many of its "articles". This is not said to cast doubt on your statement, rather to lament the decline of Auntie :-(
[/quote]

Wikipedia gets a lot of stick - encyclopaedia Brittanica it ain't, but it's not as unreliable as it's made out to be. It gets demonized by some because not everything on it is correct, but it's not completely untrustworthy. When it comes to research, I say shame on anyone who accepts information from one source as Gospel, unless it's a bona fide primary source. Unless we find a quote from someone involved in the recording, we can't be certain of who recorded the bass on YTOTIW, but certainly the stronger evidence suggests Hungate.

How about this one :

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pulwa9s7Q_4[/media]

The feel of the bassline on this track really reminds me of Rutger Gunnarson with ABBA , who were so popular at the time this was recorded .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1375196168' post='2157982']
Great bass-line bad song is an oxymoron to me. I find myself often being in a minority of one when I say that Jamerson never works for me because the songs are mostly s*** (there are a few exceptions but very much the minority). To my mind, a great line is a great line precis[size=4]ely because of where it is not in spite of it. [/size]
[/quote]

I don't know if this statement is meant to be ironic or it's just plain ridiculous.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1375207118' post='2158219']
How about this one :

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pulwa9s7Q_4[/media]

The feel of the bassline on this track really reminds me of Rutger Gunnarson with ABBA , who were so popular at the time this was recorded .
[/quote]

For some reason the bass on the chorus sounds a tad flat to me, but not in the rest of the song -- which might mean the chorus was re-recorded with that pedal point part. Or maybe I'm hearing things.