Why become a member? ×

Electric shocks when using my Harley Benton Amp...

ben604

I think there's something up with my Harley Benton amp, it's only my backup, but when I do use it, I get shocks from my microphone, and other bits of kit too. Only gentle, but consistent and annoying.

Any ideas as to where to start looking to get it sorted? Tried a different cable, but that had no effect. Must be something internal?

Ta,
Ben

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1374592130' post='2150624']
Ben, run your amp only with an RCD protector from now on mate. A big belt of electricity might not be far away. Seriously.
[/quote]

+1 to this. I`ve seen my mate get a fairly big shock from this type of scenario, and he was in a bit of a state after.

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1374592130' post='2150624']
Ben, run your amp only with an RCD protector from now on mate. A big belt of electricity might not be far away. Seriously.
[/quote]

RCDs are certainly good things but don't rely on them because they can only detect current leakage in the mains side of the amp circuits. If there are high voltages on the secondary side of the mains transformer (as there can be with valve amps) then any leakage current from these voltage supplies (i.e. through you to ground!) will not be detected by the RCD and it won't trip.

It sounds like the amp needs to be professionally checked.

This is dangerous and you have to have it checked. All the parts you touch should be at earth potential and they aren't so something isn't connected to earth that should be.That's a big link missing from the chain that keeps you safe. A mains shock may be just round the corner, it probably won't kill you but it just might. Better to get it fixed