Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Distortion/Fuzz before or after octaver and envelope filter?

tonyclaret

Everywhere!

Most put octave before fuzz, but I prefer it after so you have a clean sub octave under the fuzz.

Many like their filters after dirt, this makes it sound more pronounced and synthy. I prefer filter before dirt as it sounds less like a techno synthesizer and more like a growling guitar wah.

Experiment and see what you prefer!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1374323509' post='2147556']
This is madness. Everyone knows it goes octaver, dirt, filter ! simples !!
[/quote]

Traditionally, yes. In reality, maybe not!

I too love the sound of a filter before a fuzz/distortion, but i would always put the octaver first to get as cleaner octave as possible.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1374337063' post='2147785']i would always put the octaver first to get as cleaner octave as possible.
[/quote]

If you put the octave first, your octave is going into the distortion, making it dirty! If you put it after it will stay clean! :D

Clean was the wrong word, i mean the octave will be produced better and sustain longer, rather than warbly sound you may get from the harmonics of a fuzz. I do like an octaver after a low gain drive pedal though, that really worked well with an Oc-2.

See! There's no right or wrong answer. :)

I have my signal going octaver, dirt, filter, chorus. If you're using the octaver on 100% wet & it's after the dirt, then the dirt is going to have little to no effect. Whereas if it's got some dry signal coming through, then you're gonna have dirt an octave above a clean sub.

I usually go 100% wet, so dirt after suits my sound. I find that if I put the Wah before it, it doesn't do what "I" want it to do.

If you know what kind of sound you want, then we can punt you in the right direction, but it's way more fun doing things yourself & playing with your setup.

& rememember, you decide what sounds right by using your ears. Have fun! :)

Guest FretNoMore

Partly depends on what sound you want, partly how well the octaver works after dirt. Some pedals do, some don't.

One solution is of course to have two dirt pedals... :P

It is however easy and best to try different combinations yourself, with your particular pedals.

Edited by FretNoMore

The mxr envelope filter is triggered by the input signal. Putting any compression (i.e. dirt)in front of it will reduce it's responsiveness.
This is why my chain goes filter > compressor > dirt > booster/d.i.
This way I feel I have maximum control.

Guest FretNoMore

Don't know where I got octaver ...

Anyway, with filter I prefer (mild) dirt before filter, even though there may be some compression it still seems to give the filter more to work with, more frequencies probably, makes it more responsive but also more synthy. Dirt after filter does in my opinion take away a lot of the filter effect.

It probably depends on what specific pedals you use though.

Edited by FretNoMore