Why become a member? ×

Lower tension round wounds?

martthebass

Thomastik Infelds
Round-cored DRs such as Fatbeams.

Whilst they have the same tension per unit length, they feel softer as they are more [i] compliant[/i].

Edit- the TIs come in weird gauges, though, slightly less than 40-100. I think the DRs come in both 45,65,80,100 / 40,60,80,100

Re-edited for- Neither are cheap. Expect to pay 2 or 3 times what Rotos cost. That said, I look at Rotos wrong and they go dull. DRs last me up to 9 months if kept clean. Never tried TIs.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

Mirroring the above, DR High Beams or TI Rounds. I've used both and for me, though both brands are very good, the TIs are more compliant and silky - beautiful strings and my favourite by some distance. Gauges are unusual (43-89) but don't feel weird when on the bass. TIs are expensive but I think that the Gallery are doing them for £36 (a good investment)

Edited by lozbass

I have recently put a set of D'Addario balanced tension nickel round wound strings on my Spector - EXL220BT 40/55/70/95. Very impressed, feel nice under the digits too, and all for £16.

Rotosound swing bass strings are pretty low tension anyway. When I went down a gauge to 40 - 100 I noticed the tension went down by quite a bit too.

DR strings are great but expensive and IMO higher tension than Rotosound swing bass.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1374147709' post='2145756']
Rotosound swing bass strings are pretty low tension anyway. DR strings are great but expensive and IMO higher tension than Rotosound swing bass.
[/quote]

I would agree with this. Fat beams are not to bad in this respect (certainly less taught than LoRiders) but I wouldn't call them low tension (OK, low [i]compliance[/i]!).

Thanks for the comments Guys.....Rotos seem to suit the bass sound wise (though I've generally found them to go dull quickly on me in the past) so will likely try their 40 -100 SB66 first. Also interested in the TI's but would be a bit worried if they are as floppy as the infeld flats - think they'd fall of the fretboard, there isn't much room on a Rick as it is!