Why become a member? ×

Fuzzes and O/Ds

john_the_bass

Yeah you pm me with a does this work on an active and I tell you :)

Other than that I've not really seen one I may have chance to write one in the future but its a long list of what doesn't work :huh:

So just post here what you are looking at and I'll let you know.

Cheers

Silicon fuzzes generally are fine. Germanium fuzzes generally are not fine. Generally.

It depends on the specific build of each circuit.

I find that MOST muff-style and MOST rat style circuits work fine with active basses. I find most Brassmaster / superfuzz / cheese circuits don't.

Had an active bass (Thunder 1A) years ago, but never tried it with fuzz back then - so don't really know.

Nowadays, change in tastes etc.....love fuzz!

You could always try building your own fuzz(?)
Loads of relatively easy circuits on net, cost little to make. One here (Deluxe Bass Fuzz) with buffer for active bass using 42TM018 transformer:
[url="http://www.home-wrecker.com/bazz.html"]http://www.home-wrecker.com/bazz.html[/url]

More cool one's here [i]'proper fuzzes'[/i], built a few myself on veroboard:
[url="http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album18"]http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album18[/url]
[url="http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album17"]http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album17[/url]

I first built Jen FZ-III after selling the one I paid £5 for, on Ebay for £80! :)
Loved the sound, but at the time needed the cash.

Why not have a go? Something to do on a rainy Sunday afternoon!

Edited by nick

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='22606' date='Jun 24 2007, 01:28 PM']Yeah you pm me with a does this work on an active and I tell you :)

Other than that I've not really seen one I may have chance to write one in the future but its a long list of what doesn't work :huh:

So just post here what you are looking at and I'll let you know.

Cheers[/quote]
Hm, Toasted told me that the Depth Charge doesn't work with active. Could you recommend a similar pedal that does? (I mean a smooth, thick fuzz that doesn't sound separated from the original signal - that's what I thought about the Depth Charge from samples anyway)

The LOAD sets the input impedance of the pedal. That's why it works with active basses :)

The BIAS adjusts within a parameter set by an internal trimpot the way in which the clipping diodes are biased against each other. Ergo: the specific sound of the pedal. IMO, more fuzzes should have a bias.

Edited by Toasted

Instead of making a new thread, I'll shove what I'm looking for here.

Basically, I'm looking for a really smooth, synthy bazz fuzz which gives tonnes of sustain and maintains as much of the lows as possible. I have a throaty, gravelly bass sound covered but I'm looking for the other end of the spectrum.

Any unit/pedal suggestions are welcome, prefs not about £125 if possible, though I might be able to stretch.

Edited by Clunge

[quote name='Clunge' post='25677' date='Jul 1 2007, 06:08 PM']Instead of making a new thread, I'll shove what I'm looking for here.

Basically, I'm looking for a really smooth, synthy bazz fuzz which gives tonnes of sustain and maintains as much of the lows as possible. I have a throaty, gravelly bass sound covered but I'm looking for the other end of the spectrum.

Any unit/pedal suggestions are welcome, prefs not about £125 if possible, though I might be able to stretch.[/quote]

Above your budget, but the EH Bass Micro Synth will give you some nice synthy distortion, and a whole lot more as well.

I'll probably get a Little Big Muff first, since they're so cheap and I liked some samples I heard. If it doesn't work for me, it's GI Fuzz. @Clunge: for a synthy sound, you probably want something with bias control. I've heard a nice muse-y sound from a Flying Tomato, but I would guess you can get similar results with a GI Fuzz.

Well the Museier the sound, the better.

The Flying Tomato sounds like a fairly good bet as does the GI Fuzz, do they sound good with bass?

Also, anyone who's owned/tried either, which offers the smoothest tone? - the GI or the FT?

Cheers, I'm really not that knowledgeable about all this stuff :).

[quote name='Clunge' post='25730' date='Jul 1 2007, 08:17 PM']Well the Museier the sound, the better.

The Flying Tomato sounds like a fairly good bet as does the GI Fuzz, do they sound good with bass?

Also, anyone who's owned/tried either, which offers the smoothest tone? - the GI or the FT?

Cheers, I'm really not that knowledgeable about all this stuff :).[/quote]

Sorry Clunge - I had a totally different sound in mind and yeah, unless you get lucky secondhand its above your price limit. Though oddly enough Chris Wolstenholme does use a micro synth, inline with a Big Muff.

A Bassballs and big muff might do the trick.

I could make a few more suggestions, but I doubt your wallet would appreciate them. :huh:

Hehe, sorry to contradict but I'm 99.99% certain he doesn't use a Micro Synth (being something of a Wolstenholme fanboy n'all :)).

+ I'd like to try and get that sound using just one unit if possible, mainly to keep my board nice and compact.