Why become a member? ×

Stingray piezo - What's it sound like?

4 Strings

Thanks for that idea, very useful, not what I expected. Hifi sort of sound. There's another with a Stingray, not as good a test (nor good a player) but confirms the general gist.

I suppose I'd really like to know what it sounds like with dampened strings, whether you can get close to an upright sort of sound.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1373481280' post='2138177']
You can get an upright for the same money (just), much more fun!
[/quote]

Or a second-hand EUB and secondhand electric .
I have an NS CR5 and Warwick Fortress Masterman 5 that I bought on here for less than a new Stingray...

Well, it was actually for a custom, was wondering whether to have a piezo on it for dinner jazz type music as well as it's more common duties. Can't be changing strings every week or so often but wanted to use the same bass for everything and it would be in place of a neck pup so not too much extra.

I have no experience of how the piezo sounded. Got more of an idea now, doesn't seem to be the desired effect, even if it has a very nice sound.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1373486122' post='2138242']
Well, it was actually for a custom, was wondering whether to have a piezo on it for dinner jazz type music as well as it's more common duties. Can't be changing strings every week or so often but wanted to use the same bass for everything and it would be in place of a neck pup so not too much extra.

I have no experience of how the piezo sounded. Got more of an idea now, doesn't seem to be the desired effect, even if it has a very nice sound.
[/quote]

I think the association between having a piezo and getting a sound more akin to an upright applies more to fretless basses , where it can give a certain ambience to the overtones that are reminiscent of those on an acoustic bass . Even on fretless , it's a fairly subtle effect . Otherwise , I have never been enamoured of piezo pickups for bass , not least of all because they add a dimension to the overall sound of the bass that is apt to get lost entirely when you get other instruments playing over you in a live situation . Another drawback is also that they can be rather finnicky and prone to going wrong . A lot of trouble and expense for not much tangible benefit , in other words .

I had one and was never that keen on the piezo sound. It was very bright and just sounded like a cheap electro acoustic bass to me. No mid and lots of string noise, it was also very loud and hard to control. Luckily the rest of the bass was awesome.

Thanks, all useful comments. Heath, the guy building the custom for me, said he'd bring one round that he's building which has a piezo. It's a fretless and I can totally see how a fretless makes sense. It's also got pretty much a hollow body so its not going to be too similar the solid body but I'll give it another go.

• 10 years later...
12 hours ago, nilorius said:

May be i am a fool, but i don't understand. This Musicman, 3eq - humbucker + piezo bridge pickup or bass with only piezo pickup. And what do You all think about it, the price, the sound. Can't find the right rewiev. 

https://reverb.com/en-lv/item/74863847-music-man-stingray-3-eq-h-piezo

That is a lovely looking thing.

I have a 50's style P-bass with a piezo in the bridge and the variety is useful - growl vs clean.

• Thanks 1

I've no experience of the Stingray version of events,  though I DO own 2 basses with piezo bridges.

I was concerned that the SR might not be a full-range piezo (such that it covers only the higher frequencies), but according to TB, it is full-range.

I've found full-range piezo pickups to be a useful addition. Not entirely necessary, but nice to have. 

Some designs are built around them;

•Many EUBs and Acoustic basses.

•The Ibanez Affirma and EDA series, which mix magnetic and piezo. 

They certainly work. My NS5 CR EUB has the potential to sound massive if required,  yet humble if not.

The Ibanez EDA is intriguing because of its adjustability. There's an ability to adjust the piezo bass and treble independently of magnetic EQ.

The controls of the Stingray (vol,pan, B,M,T) suggest this isn't the case. 

Furthermore,  the 'Ray has a strong sonic identity. Does it need a piezo?

The piezo component has the potential to sound more airy and "acoustic-like" 

Is that what you need from the bass?